Review by kdstrack -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by kdstrack -- Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

HEALTH TIPS, MYTHS, AND TRICKS: A Physician's Advice” by Morton E. Tavel, MD

Morton E. Tavel has dedicated his life to the medical profession. In this book he shares advice with readers about health issues he has dealt with first hand. Some of his suggestions are proactive offering strategies to maintain health and avoid disease. Other chapters focus on reactive behaviors should a person be struggling with a sickness or dealing with a health issue.

The book contains sixty-two chapters divided into three sections. The first section, titled “Tips”, responds some common questions that many people ask their doctor or health provider. How important is breakfast? How much coffee can I drink in a day? Does sunscreen really work? What can I do for my back pain? It appears as though Mr. Tavel has taken the most frequently asked health questions and put his answers in written form to share with his readers.

The second section, titled “Myths” presents some more recent health concerns. Among these we find information on gluten free diets, bottled water, GM foods, probiotics, and many others. Topics covered in this section are frequently labeled as “nutty ideas”. He downplays some of these new trends that people adhere to in an effort to better their health and living environment.

The third section, titled “Tricks” speaks of health treatments that the author considers to be frauds or scams. Some topics covered in this category are chiropractors, naturopaths, acupuncture, and detox plans. Readers are warned to avoid anything that is touted as a miracle cure.

Each of the chapters is brief and can be read separately. Each section can also be studied apart from the rest of the book. Readers can easily use this volume as a reference for any of the topics covered.

I would note one inconsistency in the book. Throughout the first section, the author frequently cited data from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to support his findings and suggestions. It came as a surprise when, later on, he remarked that the “FDA is perpetually under-funded and short-staffed, and therefore has a poor record of protecting consumer health and safety” (p. 167). Does this comment undermine his frequent use of FDA data to support his positions? It certainly casts doubt on their findings.

Another point of interest is the frequent use of vague language such as “could play a role,” “seemed to show,” “suggest,”(p. 21), “probable benefits” (p. 34). It is important that the reader take note of these phrases to avoid being misled by promises made by some products or health providers.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The author covers a wide spectrum of health issues and in many chapters gives clarification about the remedies available on the market. Nevertheless, the numerous cures and testimonies of people who have preferred to use alternate medicine cannot be denied. Anyone interested in health and fitness will find useful information in this book.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
BettyBooker
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettybooker.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by BettyBooker »

Thank you for pointing out the inconsistency between FDA findings and the author's view on the entity itself. Perhaps even he takes their conclusions with a grain of salt, which is perfectly legitimate since with science and research, no one individual or entity has a monopoly on facts or can claim total understanding of the subject matter. On that note, I believe the use of language that appears vague i.e. "could play a role," "seemed to show," etc speaks to the scientific approach; we arrive at a conclusion but always leave room for other interpretations or findings, even if these should completely refute our initial outcomes, as long as they are scientifically meritorious. In other words, "we think we're right but we could be wrong, and that's ok." A very good review and I decidedly agree with you that anyone interested in health and fitness will find the book useful.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

BettyBooker wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 13:45 Thank you for pointing out the inconsistency between FDA findings and the author's view on the entity itself. Perhaps even he takes their conclusions with a grain of salt, which is perfectly legitimate since with science and research, no one individual or entity has a monopoly on facts or can claim total understanding of the subject matter. On that note, I believe the use of language that appears vague i.e. "could play a role," "seemed to show," etc speaks to the scientific approach; we arrive at a conclusion but always leave room for other interpretations or findings, even if these should completely refute our initial outcomes, as long as they are scientifically meritorious. In other words, "we think we're right but we could be wrong, and that's ok." A very good review and I decidedly agree with you that anyone interested in health and fitness will find the book useful.
I appreciate your comments, Betty. I guess my thinking was that if he was using these ambivalent words in the first section on Tips, it would have been consistent to say the same about alternative medicines. Another chapter that made me have doubts was the one on chiropractors. I grew up in a farming community where people did lots of physical labor in a day. Many of my family members go to the chiropractor regularly and have their own personal "success" stories about neck, shoulder, hip, and back pain relief. I wished he would have been more "ambivalent" there too, and not so dismissive. -- I still feel like I learned a lot from his book and it is always beneficial to "brush up" and keep in mind of the things he mentioned.
BettyBooker

Post by BettyBooker »

Ah yes. I see your point about on the one hand ambivalent, on the other dismissive. I think you are quite right that for consistency (and fairness), he should have applied the same approach to medical as well as non-medical practices. At the very least, he could have reframed things to highlight that his focus is standardised Western medicine thus he cannot be entirely dismissive or accepting of practices outside this scope. Thanks again kdstrack. Yes, it was useful read, I too learnt something, and I learnt even more from a fellow-reviewer. :o)
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

kdstrack wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 19:22 I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The author covers a wide spectrum of health issues and in many chapters gives clarification about the remedies available on the market. Nevertheless, the numerous cures and testimonies of people who have preferred to use alternate medicine cannot be denied. Anyone interested in health and fitness will find useful information in this book.
I enjoyed reading your review. Really comprehensive. I agree the book provided quite a bit of insight into some key health issues and products. Good point about the FDA as a primary source. I also felt the condemnation of alternative medicine was out of touch with contemporary thought about medicine. Thanks for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The author provides many valuable advises to find out difference between beneficial and harmful medicines. Thanks for your review. You can check out my review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Eva Darrington wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 20:00
kdstrack wrote: 07 Feb 2018, 19:22 I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The author covers a wide spectrum of health issues and in many chapters gives clarification about the remedies available on the market. Nevertheless, the numerous cures and testimonies of people who have preferred to use alternate medicine cannot be denied. Anyone interested in health and fitness will find useful information in this book.
I enjoyed reading your review. Really comprehensive. I agree the book provided quite a bit of insight into some key health issues and products. Good point about the FDA as a primary source. I also felt the condemnation of alternative medicine was out of touch with contemporary thought about medicine. Thanks for the great review.
Thanks for reading.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 01:55 The author provides many valuable advises to find out difference between beneficial and harmful medicines. Thanks for your review. You can check out my review.
Thanks, Sarah. Yes, there is a great deal of useful information in the book.
BettyBooker

Post by BettyBooker »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 01:55 The author provides many valuable advises to find out difference between beneficial and harmful medicines. Thanks for your review. You can check out my review.
Hi Sarah, please may I have a link to your review? (Side note: does anyone know how to find reviews from a specific user? I can't see them under the individual's profile. Thanks)
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

BettyBooker wrote: 23 Feb 2018, 06:38
Hi Sarah, please may I have a link to your review? (Side note: does anyone know how to find reviews from a specific user? I can't see them under the individual's profile. Thanks)
Thanks, Sarah. You can read it here:

viewtopic.php?f=114&t=55699

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”