Review by Jaime Lync -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Jaime Lync
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2017 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 85
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 500
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: The Empty Light of Secrets by M A Street

Review by Jaime Lync -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by Jaime Lync » 07 Feb 2018, 16:33

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!, written and illustrated by Len Foley, is a very interactive and colorful book. The first sentence in the story is, “Something stinks about this book.” We are then given a plethora of comical things that contribute to the foul odor. Of course, this list includes Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

At the time of writing this review, this book is available on Kindle for $4.99 USD as well as a paperback book from Amazon.com for $7.95 USD. Foley’s target audience is children between the ages of 3-7. Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! received a Mom’s Choice Award. Despite it earning such a prestigious award, I still find the price a little expensive for such a brief read. I admit that the book is funny and thus may serve to enlighten young children on the pleasures of being an avid reader. However, I was not able to identify a strong moral lesson in this story. I believe children’s book should more than just make the readers giggle; they should give the children food for thought as well.

Nonetheless, there were several things about this book that I enjoyed. The formatting was on point. I found the font style attractive. The author also made keywords bold and in a bigger font than the rest. There were also playful rhymes throughout the story that made it seem as if I was reading a poem or a nursery rhyme. The diction in this book may present some challenge to some of the older ones in the target audience, but after a few times of assisted reading, the book becomes simple to read. However, there was one word that I had to look up- kraut. Kraut is a German word for ‘cabbage’ which was probably used to rhyme with ‘pass out’.

Once again, I must applaud the author and illustrator for putting together an illustration that really tied I well to the story. The way the story is told is heavily dependent on the illustration so if the pictures had not been appropriate the book would not have been as appealing.

In conclusion, I rate Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! 2 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to parents who wish to have a fun time reading with their young child/children. I thought of giving this book 3 stars instead but settled for 2 instead because of the previously mentioned lack of moral or educational appeal.

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!

Vickie Noel
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 33
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 295
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading: Altered Reality
Bookshelf Size: 304
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Accumulation by Buan Boonaca
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel » 06 Apr 2018, 08:47

I remember the conflict I also faced while trying to rate this book due to the issues you mentioned. In fact, it eventually boiled down to the experiment I did with it which then gave me an answer. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the book with this lovely review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain

kfwilson6
Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 58
Currently Reading: Red Queen (Red Queen series)
Bookshelf Size: 237
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Carbynarah Chronicles by Jon Franklyn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 » 09 May 2018, 15:45

I loved the end of this book. The rest of it was ok; I thought the illustrations were a little too varied, but good overall. They were really important to the enjoyment of this book. The price for that is a bit high. I don't have children so I don't what a typical price would be, but almost $5 for a digital copy of something it took only a few minutes to read?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”