Review by Kat Berg -- From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Kat Berg -- From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Kat Berg »

[Following is a volunteer review of "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Here is a question for you: Are you really alive? You may think that is a silly question to ask, so let me put it another way. Are you just letting life happen to you? In writing, we are taught to avoid the passive voice, and the way to recognize the passive voice is this: If you can end the sentence with “by zombies” you have the passive voice. “The room was ransacked (by zombies).” Passive voice. It is not just in writing that the passive causes us problems. Many of us are living our lives in the passive voice. We are letting life happen to us rather than actively engaging our life. And because of this, we are missing the happiness, contentment, and fulfillment that we could otherwise have.

In the book From Drift to Shift: How Change Can Bring True Meaning and Happiness to Your Work and Life by Jody B. Miller, the above issue is addressed. Miller calls this idea of living in the passive voice “drift”. Just like my little lesson in writing more actively, Miller shows us how to go from drifting to shifting into a more intentional life. She does this through the personal stories of herself and others. These stories are about “discarding the expectations that bind us and hold us back from living life as our true selves, both in our work and in our relationships.”

The book is divided into four parts: Why Shift, When To Shift, How To Shift, and After The Shift. The first three parts share a variety of stories from a variety of worldviews, but the one commonality they all share is overcoming. Part four recognizes that once we have made a shift, that isn’t the end of our story. There are still challenges or obstacles to living in accord with our truest self. We will still have to deal with complainers and we still have to make an effort to live a balanced life; it will not happen accidentally, even though we have made a shift.

I enjoyed this book. It was a simple, engaging read. In the self-help category, it is largely what you would expect from a self-help book, although the author does make an attempt to engage different psychological studies. Unlike some books in this genre, happiness does not necessarily equal big bucks. Many of the example stories were of people who experienced deep trauma in their life and used that trauma to find their great success.

Miller identifies five factors that help instigate the process of “superhuman” success in life that I found very helpful: hope, personal control, social support, forgiveness, and spirituality. One of the things that set this book apart from others of its kind is that it covers many forms of spirituality. From the Amazon shaman to the Christian to the Buddhist and Hindu believers, they are all acceptable forms of spirituality. This will make the book more accessible to a variety of people, but may also turn others off.

This book was well edited, and I only noticed a handful of mistakes, some of which were simple formatting issues. My one concern with this book is an issue I have with most self-help books and that is it doesn’t engage with the need for some to seek a professional counselor. This is especially troubling as some of the stories were about those who seemed to have serious depression issues (suicidal ideation) at a point in their life. I would have liked to see references to suicide hotlines and professional counseling, even a simple caveat to not take mental health lightly but seek professional help alongside following the advice found in the book.

I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I would have rated it three and a half stars if I could to account for my one concern, but that was not an option and mental health issues are too serious for me to not have this reflected in the score, and so I had no choice but to rate this a three. Overall, it is an easy read, and many people from a variety of backgrounds will find a point of connection within its pages.

From Drift to SHIFT
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kat Berg's review? Post a comment saying so!
Wendy M H
Currently Reading: Magic Shifts
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Wendy M H »

Wow! A self help book that sounds interesting.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I'm enjoying reading all of the different reviews for this book. You do a good job justifying your rating and summarizing the book.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>

Post by Kat Berg »

CommMayo wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 17:23 I'm enjoying reading all of the different reviews for this book. You do a good job justifying your rating and summarizing the book.
Thanks, CommMayo, and thank you for stopping by :)
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron

Post by Izesicle »

Wow, I didn't expect a reality bite in a book review. If I'll get a similar eye opener from the book, I might read it.

Thanks for stopping by my review.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

What a great, comprehensive review. I also liked the diversity of spirituality in the book. You make a really good point about the lack of mention of mental health resources. It is frustrating when books appear to indicate that reading a book can heal trauma. I had some problems with this book, one being the author's pop-psychology attitude toward healing, when some of the people she writes about experienced severe trauma due to accidents or attachment issues, etc. Check my review if you like. Thanks for the great review.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

Miller identifies five factors that help instigate the process of “superhuman” success in life that I found very helpful: hope, personal control, social support, forgiveness, and spirituality. One of the things that set this book apart from others of its kind is that it covers many forms of spirituality. From the Amazon shaman to the Christian to the Buddhist and Hindu believers, they are all acceptable forms of spirituality. This will make the book more accessible to a variety of people, but may also turn others off.
I usually discard the religion matters when reading books of this genre. I concentrate on the lessons the book offers other than the difference in faith.

Mental health is really a huge issue that reading books of this genre alone, can't help.

Thanks for the detailed review.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

That "by zombies" idea is a great tip on the passive voice, isn't it? I can't wait to try that one out on my students. The central idea of the book seems to be pretty much about what psychologists call "locus of control" - but what's potentially interesting, and helpful, is relating that to spirituality in a healthy, as I think some religious people may tend towards fatalism or, rather, ascribing control over their lives to God. Finding a healthy balance is difficult. I'm with Cromwell on this one: "Trust in God, but keep your powder dry."
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Libs_Books wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 11:44 Finding a healthy balance is difficult. I'm with Cromwell on this one: "Trust in God, but keep your powder dry."
Love that quote. A nice way to sum up spirituality. I heard it as "Trust Allah, but tie your camel." Attributed to Mohammed, I think. For me, there was a bit too much "tie your camel" in this book. Great review and comments.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Kat Berg

Post by Kat Berg »

Libs_Books wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 11:44 That "by zombies" idea is a great tip on the passive voice, isn't it? I can't wait to try that one out on my students. The central idea of the book seems to be pretty much about what psychologists call "locus of control" - but what's potentially interesting, and helpful, is relating that to spirituality in a healthy, as I think some religious people may tend towards fatalism or, rather, ascribing control over their lives to God. Finding a healthy balance is difficult. I'm with Cromwell on this one: "Trust in God, but keep your powder dry."
Yes, the "by zombies" is one of the easiest to remember tips I've ever run across! There is a movement in Christianity called the Quietest movement. It involves becoming so given over to God that there are no self-made decisions, no you left. To me, it seems beyond fatalism. Yes, I agree, finding a healthy balance is difficult. In this book, she actually seems to engage in some syncretism, but there are many who will find that appealing rather than off-putting. But I like the Cromwell (and the Muslim) sayings!
Kat Berg

Post by Kat Berg »

Eva Darrington wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 12:14
Libs_Books wrote: 25 Feb 2018, 11:44 Finding a healthy balance is difficult. I'm with Cromwell on this one: "Trust in God, but keep your powder dry."
Love that quote. A nice way to sum up spirituality. I heard it as "Trust Allah, but tie your camel." Attributed to Mohammed, I think. For me, there was a bit too much "tie your camel" in this book. Great review and comments.
It is the first time I have heard that saying, but it might be a new favorite! Thanks for sharing :)

I don't make the same conclusions that she does in the spirituality realm, but for a self-help book I have slightly lower expectations. It was more about her journey and how it related to the journey of others than really a recommendation of how to proceed. I did get tired of all the Chakra stuff.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Interesting review. Your comment about those who need to seek professional help is very true. I, personally, did not like the Amazon tribe chapter because it made me wonder how wise it is to accept advice from someone who is taking psychedelic drugs that could have extremely harmful side effects???
Kat Berg

Post by Kat Berg »

kdstrack wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 09:10 Interesting review. Your comment about those who need to seek professional help is very true. I, personally, did not like the Amazon tribe chapter because it made me wonder how wise it is to accept advice from someone who is taking psychedelic drugs that could have extremely harmful side effects???
Yes, I can see your point about the Amazon tribe, and I know her decisions in that regard are not ones I would have personally made; however, I do appreciate the peek into other world views and wisdom.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

I agree kat Berg, the addition of professional counselor would have increased the value of this worthy book. Thanks for your review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte R&oslash;ddik

Post by Yoli García »

I am curious about the five elements for "superhuman" success: "hope, personal control, social support, forgiveness, and spirituality."
Sounds a bit different from the usual self-help book. I like that the author included forgiveness and spirituality. I agree with you that the author should have included mental health resources because the subject was discussed in the book. Thanks for the excellent review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”