Review by llJulyll -- Murdered by James Schannep

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
llJulyll
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lljulyll.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep

Review by llJulyll -- Murdered by James Schannep

Post by llJulyll »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Murdered" by James Schannep.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Murdered by James Schannep is an interactive book wherein you decide how the story flows. In other words, you're the main character. The book starts off by immersing you in the colorful festivities of Rio de Janeiro as the Carnaval nears. Things start to pick up the pace the moment you find a dead girl's body in a building and almost immediately you're thrown into a thrilling chase involving politics and the criminal underworld.

There's really not much I can say since it's interactive, there are over 50 different endings you can end up having (so far, I've seen four). And it's safe to say that none of those endings will bore you. If it does, then you can choose the chapter title you want to start over from and choose different options. The possibilities are endless!

I don't typically like interactive storylines because sometimes I feel as if there's no consequence to it, you can always backtrack if you don't like what's happening. But there's something about the way that this book is written that just grabs you and makes you feel like it's all too real. Multiple times, I found myself reading faster as the events became more and more exciting. Truly, this book deserves more readership.

Not only does this book pull you into it, at times, it makes the characters you interact with almost 3D. They have personality and it really feels like they're with you. Flesh and bones and all that.

The writing is incredible as well, there are no details you can skip over because the investigation calls for every bit of your attention. It almost feels like there's an obligation to it. Whenever there is a successful moment in the story, I feel like I've actually succeeded in something, and whenever there is a loss, I mourn. It's amazing how the writer has managed to conceal their presence absolutely and make you feel like you're the one writing the path you traverse.

Unsurprisingly, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Honestly, if I could give it more, I would. It deserves so much for how it was written. I feel like I've just traveled to Brazil and experienced everything firsthand. I'm not kidding when I say that I'll still be reading this books for weeks to come. Until I reach all the endings there are.

If you're the type who likes humorous exchanges between characters while simultaneously embarking on a thrilling mystery chase then I highly recommend this book. And if you're the type who doesn't like interactive stories then I suggest this book nonetheless, maybe, like me, you'll have a change of heart.

Murdered
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like llJulyll's review? Post a comment saying so!
Miss_BeckyG
Currently Reading: Behind Broken Glass Walls
Bookshelf Size: 1129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-beckyg.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Miss_BeckyG »

An interactive murder mystery sounds like a book meant for me. I am definitely getting the book just to see what endings I can get at every turn from my imagination and the writing.
“ Ego says, "Once everything falls into place, I'll feel peace." Spirit says "Find your peace, and then everything will fall into place." ”
Marianne Williamson
Hephzi Lolami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hephzi-lolami.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Hephzi Lolami »

I love interactive books because they carry you (the reader) along and this great author equally managed to do that. Also the turnout of events are just great. The book leaves your head spinning with different ideas and suggestions. Thanks for the amazing review!
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

Thanks for a fabulously written review. I like crime fiction a lot so I really want to read this book. I have never read an interactive novel before so this will be my first. Since it is book 2 in a series, I probably need to read the other books in the series as well.
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

Thanks for the amazing and honest review. I like good mystery novels. In this book, you follow the clues, interrogate the suspects and solve the murder. That's awesome.
Rajanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 231

Post by Rajanis »

An innovative idea to make this interactive with readers. The only hitch seems to be the 50 possible endings which can be exhausting. Thanks for the review.
llJulyll
Currently Reading:

Post by llJulyll »

Miss_BeckyG wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 08:11 An interactive murder mystery sounds like a book meant for me. I am definitely getting the book just to see what endings I can get at every turn from my imagination and the writing.
I hope you enjoy it just as much as I have, if not more!
llJulyll
Currently Reading:

Post by llJulyll »

Rajanis wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 12:06 An innovative idea to make this interactive with readers. The only hitch seems to be the 50 possible endings which can be exhausting. Thanks for the review.
That's true. At first I felt like it might be a drag to keep looking for the endings, but honestly, I found myself invested in what the story had to offer. Whenever you died it felt like dying in a video game and you could just go back to whichever "save point" you prefer. It's interesting.
llJulyll
Currently Reading:

Post by llJulyll »

CambaReviewer wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 11:07 Thanks for a fabulously written review. I like crime fiction a lot so I really want to read this book. I have never read an interactive novel before so this will be my first. Since it is book 2 in a series, I probably need to read the other books in the series as well.
It's not necessary to read the other books to be able to enjoy this book. I think every book can stand by itself. I found no information in this book that I had to source from the other books of the series, but if you find this book interesting then I do think other books by this author might also suit your tastes. :D
Ginge
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Ginge »

This review was very helpful. Mystery genre isn't on top of my list, but after reading this post I'm intrigued to read this book.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I like the part of it being an interactive book. However, I do not like murder stories. I am sure murder and crime aficionados will like this interactive book a lot. Thanks for the review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Reminds me of those spooky and interactive Goosebumps books that I read in my early teens. I like that this one has fifty endings. Seems like a lot, but the multiple probabilities intrigue me.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Sphanice
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 41

Post by Sphanice »

Miss_BeckyG wrote: 19 Feb 2018, 08:11 An interactive murder mystery sounds like a book meant for me. I am definitely getting the book just to see what endings I can get at every turn from my imagination and the writing.

#BOTD
50 endings Love the book the price and pride
The man with rare intellect :techie-studyinggray:
pilvi
Currently Reading: Hyv&auml;&auml; ja halpaa
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pilvi.html
Latest Review: The Dying Teach Us How to Live by Patricia M. Acker, Author and Illustrator

Post by pilvi »

I read the sample and got so hooked. Your review made me even more hooked! Now I want to finish the book. And finish it again. And again.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1903
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official review: Murdered' by James Schannep, well acquaints us to the book and is a positive one! We would be at a loss if we hadn't gone through the review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”