Review by Haute_Coffee -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Haute_Coffee -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Haute_Coffee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A mysterious island... fantastical enemies... and a challenging game filled with twists and turns where the ultimate prize survival itself. These are the challenges faced by Matthew and Ryan in Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants.

Written by a 12 year old prodigy, author Caleb J. Boyer clearly knows his audience... which makes sense, being that they’re his peers. Set on an unknown island, the story plays out almost like a challenging video game. There are beasts to defeat, rewards to capture, and different levels of environments to explore. Beneath all the action, there are life philosophies being offered to the reader and, although they are not exactly subtle, the story is engaging enough to keep audiences feeling entertained rather than preached to. It is, in short, the kind of adventure tale that any young fan of dystopian stories would delight in.

When Matthew and Ryan wash up on the shore, they don’t have a clue where they are... or who they are. The only thing either boy can clearly remember is their friendship, which turns out to be the only thing they have to depend on. Without any adults, supplies, or Google Maps to help, the boys soon realize the only way to survive the many challenges that lie ahead is to be brave, trust their instincts, and above all, rely on each other. As they do battle against mystery beasts, sharks. fire, and quicksand (to name a few), the boys realize a few “life lessons” that help them navigate through the island, and ultimately, through life. In this way, it is a bit of a coming of age story.

“Matthew looked at Ryan and started to recall the events of the past few days in which every time they were faced with a challenge or an obstacle they had to overcome, when they tried to do it on their own, they were stuck. But, when they worked together, they had conquered the obstacle.”

Although the story mechanics can feel a bit repetitive at times- conquer the obstacle, collect the reward, become transported to the next environment- the story has its charm and is fast-paced enough to keep the young reader engaged. It’s probably not quite sophisticated enough for the older teen but Boyer’s 12-year-old contemporaries will be charmed. I gave this novel three out of four stars . Boyer has room to grow as he matures, but I have no doubt that this talented writer will do just that. At an age where many kids don’t even want to read, Boyer has burst out the gate with a charming debut novel. No doubt he’ll be one to watch and I think we’ll see even more exciting works from him in the future.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Haute_Coffee's review? Post a comment saying so!
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

I agree that it was a bit repetitive and I think for that reason it should target a younger audience, not a young adult audience. But what did you think about the ending? Where you disappointed that it left so much unresolved? That we don't get to know about the weird dreams and the lab? I read and wrote a review too and I almost gave it 3 stars, but it left too much unresolved for me.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”