Review by crediblereading2 -- Island Games

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Review by crediblereading2 -- Island Games

Post by crediblereading2 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Finding themselves lost and alone on a mysterious island, Matthew and Ryan, without food and shelter are faced with the task of combating many dangerous obstacles in order to survive their ordeal.

Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants
, by Caleb J. Boyer, is a fast-paced, action-packed adventure thriller, aimed at giving its young readers a jaw-dropping experience of surprise, suspense, and trepidation. It encourages friendship, teamwork, bravery, and risk-taking.

On this mysterious and eerie island, Matthew and Ryan have awoken in a trance-like state, with sparse memories of their former lives. The plot depicts Matthew’s role as one which shows brotherly protection towards his friend, the sometimes impulsive Ryan. There is an ever-present sense of someone watching them, therefore both boys have conjured up thoughts of being kidnaped. Their plight causes the survivor instincts of the boys to kick in. The mechanics of past experiences, as well as their critical thinking abilities, are introduced, to overcome the onslaught of these speedy and ever-present challenges. Teamwork and friendly banter are also used, to spur them on, in their quest to return to the normalcy of their everyday, familiar surroundings.

Author Boyer has written his book in the third person and his tone throughout the passage is one of excitement and resilience. He has employed an impressive usage of metaphors, personification, imagery, pathos appeal and other language skills to keep his audience’s hearts pumping and their eyes glued to the pages of his book. The use of metaphor is evident in the passage, at para. 2, page 4 of 227, “Matthew and Ryan were now shivering from head to toe in their wet, sand-covered clothes.”

This twelve (12) year old author is truly a remarkable and impressive individual. Apparently, he must have been an avid reader and watcher of mystery and adventure games, stories and films, from a very early age. It is rather thought-provoking that such a young person is able to bring such intrigue, clarity and brilliant writing style to a story. He has certainly captured the imagination of his youthful audience. Even the older ones will be pleased with his utilization of energetic lucid twists and thrills of the characters’ experiences and escapades. Undoubtedly, his book will motivate youngsters to take on a more intellectualized and creative approach to writing. I, however, have some qualms as it concerns the ending of the story. I anticipate an explanation of how the boys had found themselves on the island in the first place. This is not given. Beyond that, the grammar is perfect.

This book is certainly of award-winning material. It is definitely an amazing page-turner as the characters and events portrayed are truly interesting and unforgettable. Without reservation, I concur with the author that his book will motivate others to embrace tenacity when faced with stressful situations. In comparing the age of the author with his mature style of writing, I would definitely give the book a 4 out of 4 stars rating.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like crediblereading2's review? Post a comment saying so!
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Do you think it deserves 4 stars if the ending was so lack luster? I was super disappointed that we didn't get to know why the boys were there or what was up with the dreams in the lab. I couldn't give it 4 stars for that alone. You can check out my review and let me know what you think. Maybe I'm wrong.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

The book cover for this one is really cool. Your review does a great job selling the book. The comment that someone made about the lackluster ending makes me wonder if I want to read this though. However, once again,great review!
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I remember reading and enjoying the sample of this when it was BotD, but I haven't gotten around to reading the full book; between work, freelancing, and my own books to review, I rarely have time to read other stuff, alas. But great job on your review; it brought this book back to mind, though I'm reticent to read it if the ending leaves one wanting./color]
lbhatters
Favorite Book: Life is Too Short to Waste and Do Nothing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lbhatters.html
Latest Review: Life is to Short to Waste and do Nothing by Gracie Curry Holman
Reading Device: B077WTB2LY

Post by lbhatters »

crediblereading2 wrote: 05 Feb 2018, 10:45 [Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]

This book is certainly of award-winning material. It is definitely an amazing page-turner as the characters and events portrayed are truly interesting and unforgettable. Without reservation, I concur with the author that his book will motivate others to embrace tenacity when faced with stressful situations. In comparing the age of the author with his mature style of writing, I would definitely give the book a 4 out of 4 stars rating.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like crediblereading2's review? Post a comment saying so!

I enjoyed your review. Thanks for sharing!
:techie-studyinggray: Start by doing what's necessary; then do what's possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible.
-Fransis of Assisi

It's perfectly ok to write garbage, as long as you edit brilliantly.
-C.J. Cherryh
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

That is amazing that the author is so young.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

12 years old? Wow! This book sounds like it would be fun to read. I would want know how they ended up on the island too. Would be nice if he could put that in there. Thanks for the review.
:techie-studyingbrown:
ccranston
Favorite Book: The Last Time I Lied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccranston.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by ccranston »

Great review! You really sell the book. I was also disappointed with the ending, but the fact the author is so young had me impressed. I've read plenty of stories from middle school students, but none with a story line this captivating.
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend." –Paul Sweeney
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

ccranston wrote: 19 Jul 2018, 16:48 Great review! You really sell the book. I was also disappointed with the ending, but the fact the author is so young had me impressed. I've read plenty of stories from middle school students, but none with a story line this captivating.
Thank you for the kind comments. He is truly an amazing youngster.
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

Great review!. This book sounds engaging and captivating, a young author with wonderful writing skills. Maybe the end is a little disappointing, but I will be reading it very soon.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

Nice review.. and this does sound like quite a book for a 12 year old to have written. It sounds like it would work well as a movie (though the plot sounds similar to a few already out there).
kelvinmwaniki17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvinmwaniki17.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by kelvinmwaniki17 »

It was a great review easy to understand and interpret plus it really makes you want to read the book even more.
CatlynnHighlights
Currently Reading: Infinite Jest
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catlynnhighlights.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CatlynnHighlights »

A 12-year-old author is really cool, and I want to read it for that reason. The only reason I'm hesitating is that one comment about the lackluster ending.
Comment on my review and I'll comment on yours. I'm always looking for new books to read!

"..one may smile, and smile, and be a villain." - Shakespeare
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

You write a very compelling review. I might have to take a look at this one!
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

I also had the pleasure of reading this book, but didn't rate it so high. I felt that the end was really a let down for me, even though it had been a good book. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”