Review by starshipsaga -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Review by starshipsaga -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by starshipsaga »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Superhighway explores an idea that many of us have probably entertained at some point or another: what if you had all the power of the internet at your fingertips? After all, so much of our lives are online in this day and age. Imagine the ways you could change the world if you had the ability to manipulate all that data with a single thought. You could destroy your enemies by removing their identities from the face of the planet, have unfettered access to government secrets and the personal data of private citizens the world over, or steal billions of dollars in the blink of an eye.

For 18-year-old Alex Fine, everything I described has just become his new reality. This is a story that begins at the end, opening on a tropical island following our protagonist as he staggers, starving and concussed, from the front steps of a luxurious mansion onto a pristine private beach. The rest of the book is told in flashback as Alex ruefully recalls the series of tumultuous events that have led him to this very point. Eighteen years ago, he was abandoned as a newborn on the doorstep of a Los Angeles orphanage. It was there, not long after the orphanage got its first computer lab, that he discovered his amazing superpower. In the process of fixing a loose network cable, Alex accidentally wound up transporting his body and consciousness into the digital web. Suddenly, he was in the internet, with the ability to travel to any location in the world via the myriad linked pathways of cyberspace. To his astonishment, he also found he could access, download, or manipulate any kind of data stored online.

To say that Alex was like a kid in a candy store is an understatement. My favorite aspect of the novel was Fayman's portrayal of the protagonist's joy and thrill upon discovering his incredible talents. The premise of the story is also a fascinating one, filled with the potential for meaningful discussion, especially on the moral and ethical implications behind Alex’s powers. Not surprisingly, after seeing the plight of the world’s unfortunate and downtrodden, his first thought was to plunder from the rich and give to poor like some modern-day Robin Hood. But of course, what kid could resist also taking a slice of the pie for himself? Despite his good intentions, Alex makes quite a few blunders along the way, letting his own lofty ambitions and self-righteousness disrupt his logical thinking. In a sense, he felt like a genuine character to me, even if he wasn’t always an admirable one.

I also really enjoyed the writing. Fayman’s prose was clean and descriptive, even if the dialogue did come across as a little clunky at times when his characters spoke with unnatural stiffness and used awkward phrasing. But whenever he wrote about technology or computer science, you could tell the author was in his element. Some of his descriptions were even downright beautiful and elegant, such as the sections detailing the culture-rich streets of Amsterdam, the luscious hills of Southern California, or the dreamy seascapes of the Caribbean. However, I do have to mention the handful of typos and grammatical mistakes scattered throughout the novel, which makes me think further edits and polishing may be necessary, but overall these errors did not detract much from my enjoyment.

My only other criticism has to do with the pacing. The start of the book was admittedly slow to take off, due to all the information required to establish the protagonist and the story’s premise. Alex’s adventures were also frequently interrupted by distractions, such as his constant quests for food to replenish himself after every trip inside the digital web. After the second or third time, this process of detailing every item of food he consumed became rather tiresome. Speaking of repetition, I also felt that Alex’s treatment of women negatively impacted the story. While it’s easy to see how a teenage boy with raging hormones might have a weakness for pretty girls, it irked me to see how he continued to objectify every woman he met.

That said, Alex did strike me as a genuinely flawed character with a real personality and real problems. Yes, he made a lot of poor decisions, and yes, there were moments where I found myself frustrated with his actions. Still, ultimately he owned up to his mistakes and expressed remorse for the people he wronged. All of this made me see value in Superhighway as an honest and intimate coming-of-age story that will no doubt resonate with young adults, though I also believe it'll have enough crossover appeal to interest readers of all ages.

Because of all the reasons stated above, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Overall, Superhighway was an entertaining read, and the revelations in the final chapters along with the nail-biting cliffhanger at the end made me want to grab the sequel right away! This is a novel I would recommend to fans of science fiction, especially if you enjoy a technological element to go with the adventure and thrills.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like starshipsaga's review? Post a comment saying so!
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

starshipsaga wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 18:18 Alex’s adventures were also frequently interrupted by distractions, such as his constant quests for food to replenish himself after every trip inside the digital web.
You're so right! The author could have done away with about half of those food scenes. We got the point after the first three :P
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

NL Hartje wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 15:07

You're so right! The author could have done away with about half of those food scenes. We got the point after the first three :P
Yup, just a small quibble, but it was really not too necessary to read about the protagonist's obsession with food. Did make me a little hungry though :D
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

i had read couple of reviews on this book about ability to travel any where in the world by just thoughts and found your review gave some more depth from different perspective. nice review indeed
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I recently read and reviewed this one too and had almost an entirely different response. I thought Alex was a self-absorbed, arrogant jerk who used women and showed no real remorse for his actions. Remorse would inspire a change of ways. Alex gets kidnapped by the gangster he stole money from and watches a girl get shot, then goes right one with his life of excess as in nothing happened. Even his "charitable" giving is misguided. Can you imagine what would happen if someone found out those charities were accepting funds that came from a terrorist organization? I liked the sci-fi premise, but could'd recommend a book with such an unsympathetic hero. But then, it's good to read reviews from differing perspectives.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”