Review by Evelyn L -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Evelyn L
Currently Reading: Before the Dawn
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evelyn-l.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Evelyn L -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Evelyn L »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants by Caleb J. Boyer

As an adventure story lover, this title caught my eye as it looked exciting. The story's opening hooks you in straight away; you simply have to find out what happens to the two friends, Ryan and Matthew. The two boys wake up on an unfamiliar island with no recollection of their former lives and no idea why they are there. They just know that they are good friends and that they will have to rely on each other for survival as they negotiate their way through a series of taxing challenges. Their initial fear of the unknown and the need to survive evolves throughout the story into a strong will to conquer and be triumphant in the face of adversity.

The moment of incredulity came when discovering that this book was Caleb Boyer's first novel, written at the age of 12! This does explain some of the phraseology, which is occasionally naive and repetitive; also the language the boys use, referring to each other as 'dude' and the 'peeing of pants'! However, the story line is gripping and you will find yourself rooting for these two friends on their perilous adventure.

The Four Quadrants refers to the areas of the island that the boys venture through as they progress through the story.There is an unseen power which is seemingly controlling their fate, but it is actually their determination, cumulative knowledge and teamwork which influences the outcomes of events and is the true determiner. It is a story of hope, survival, friendship and the awakening to the achievements humans can make if they are courageous and support each other. Several chapters end with cliff hangers and it is hard to put this book down. As each new challenge is presented, it gives the boys more opportunities to prove themselves.

Much of the story is carried by the easy dialogue between these two friends. They talk as teenage boys would: naturally but humour and with occasional discord. They are good friends at the start and true friends by the end.

Island Games was written as a metaphor for human existence. It sends a powerful message about how we should live together and support one another. Such a profound message is amazing from such a young writer. It tells us that life is full of dangers and opportunities but that to live fully we need to face things head on with courage, resilience, determination and we need others on our 'team'. No man is an island and if we work together there is nothing we can't achieve.

I finished this book wanting more. Where do Ryan and Matthew go? What happens to them next? Will they escape? Any book which leaves you eager for more is well worth the read.

I would give this book 4 out of 4 as it is gripping with a powerful message, full of adventure,peril and excitement.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Evelyn L's review? Post a comment saying so!
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

I finished the book just like you, wanting more. I wrote about it in my review. I like when books leave you a little bit wanting, but I think the ending of this story was too vague. He left too many questions unanswered about the lab that he visited off the island, or the wooden box from the first challenge.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 12:55 I finished the book just like you, wanting more. I wrote about it in my review. I like when books leave you a little bit wanting, but I think the ending of this story was too vague. He left too many questions unanswered about the lab that he visited off the island, or the wooden box from the first challenge.
I share your sentiments exactly! I wanted those questions answered too.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

I thought of the very saying "No man is an island" too after reading the book! While I did not give the author full ratings, I still think he did a great job and will go places as a writer! Just wish the book didn't end in suspense!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”