Review by Krithika_309 -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Krithika_309
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krithika-309.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Review by Krithika_309 -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Krithika_309 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is extraordinary to find a novel filled with life lessons from a boy who wrote this book when he was just twelve years old. Caleb Boyer’s writing style will keep the reader engaged throughout the book.

Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants is a story of the two boys, Matthew and Ryan. They awaken on the shores of an ocean on a mysterious island. They can just recall that they are the best childhood friends and have forgotten all the memories of their past. The author did not specify the age of the characters, however, by their playful perspective, I assume them to be teens. They enjoyed every little moment even when they were amid nowhere. They reflect a selfless friendship and love, throughout the book.

Their struggle for the survival and in finding a way out of the island makes them traverse through the four different landscapes and imposes various life-threatening challenges on them. They can survive only if they work together. The stacks of the events are like the levels of a game and each level is in a different landscape. The cliffhanger ending is exciting and thought-provoking with a strong message to the readers.

This book may mean different to different people. One can just read and enjoy this book as it is, whereas, another reader may learn a lesson from the events and the struggle of the two characters in the story. It is possible that the reader may further relate the incidents to their lives or to the lives of someone they know.

I related it with our birth on earth. Similar to the storyline, we do not know who planted us here. We only recognize people around us. It would be a better place to live if we carry the required things and leave back the rest. Trying to stock everything for ourselves may become a curse for us in a long run.

Adding pictures personalizes the story. To list a few, some pictures of Ryan and Matthew, the beast, four landscapes, the waterfall where they had fun, the circular platform in each quadrant and the golden statues would have complimented the excitement and thrill. I feel that this story would be a great film too and would be a family entertainer.

Overall, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. Just loved the way author has concluded the book. The story is straightforward, adventurous, thought-provoking and engaging and I am sure that the preteens and even the adults would enjoy this book. 

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Krithika_309's review? Post a comment saying so!
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

I enjoyed the themes of friendship, perserverance and love. It was a fun book to read, but I did think the ending was a bit too abrupt. A book should be able to stand alone, and without the Author's Message in the back, the reader would never understand why it ended that way. I wrote a review too if you want to check it out! Thanks for your review!
Asavela
Favorite Book: Island Games
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asavela.html
Latest Review: Barbra Streisand: On the Couch by Alma H. Bond, Ph.D.

Post by Asavela »

The open ending left me hanging, Great review i loved the book

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”