Review by Elke -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Elke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elke.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Review by Elke -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Elke »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Island Games: Mystery Of The Four Quadrants by Caleb J. Boyer

Island Games is a fiction novel written by a twelve year old boy. Matthew and Ryan find themselves on a deserted island without any knowledge of how they got there and where the came from. The only thing they remember is that they are best friends and that they were hanging out together before they ended up on the island. After they realize what happened to them it becomes an instant struggle for survival. They have to find food, water, shelter and hopefully a way of the island, in constantly changing climates and during dangers that threaten their lives and even their friendship.

What I really liked about this book is the constant excitement the author throws at the reader. The story jumps from one adventure to the next which makes it an excellent book for teens around the age of 13. Although I would definitely recommend it to adults as well. I also really liked the fact that the story is all about friendship and working together.

But the thing that really stood out to me, was the fact that the author focuses on the importance of confidence and having a positive mindset in the eye of challenges. And teaches the reader that it's important to see yourself succeeding a difficult task rather then to tell yourself you wouldn't be able to do it. This is something I myself still find difficult to do at times in my life so it's incredibly impressive to have this insight at that young age and it's a great message to give to children and adults reading the book. It's not something that dominates the book but it subtly gets thrown in the story.

Although I really liked the book and I read it in only a few days there were a few things that I didn't like about the book. One of them was that I felt the story was a bit rushed at times. There where a lot of things happening in the book and it moved so quickly from one thing to the next that I feel the reader doesn't really get a chance to immerse themselves into the scene. I would have liked to get more details about their surroundings and also about the boys themselves. The book doesn't mention the age of the boys so when I started reading I imagined them to be much younger then I think they were. At one point the author mentions their height and that gives a better indication on their age.

I'm giving the book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars because I also felt the way it was written was a bit repetitive. Not the things that were happening in the story itself but more the amount certain words and sentences are being used.

Overall I really liked the book and I would definitely recommend this book for a read if you like a fast paced adventure novel with very powerful lessons hidden in the story.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Elke's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

Yeah it is a bit repetitive and stale writing isn't it? He'll develop a larger vocabulary as he gets older. I almost gave it 3 stars, but the ending was too abrupt for me. I wrote about it in my review, if you want to check it out :)
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Your review is quite fair! I also gave the same rating. You can check out my reasons in my review. I also had a difficult time piecing an image of the boys too because the author did not include their age. I think this bit of information would have explained a lot of things I was a bit confused about.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”