Review by freezsia7 -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
freezsia7
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freezsia7.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Review by freezsia7 -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by freezsia7 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Official Review of The 11:05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

While reading The 11:05 Murders by Brian O'Hare, my senses were awakened. Right from the beginning, O'Hare captivates his audience with an unsettling traumatic event, which entices the reader to move forward into the storyline. The writing is done with an essence of Victor Hugo, in the sense that he knows where to draw the line on a delicate subject matter, yet with a macabre twist, such as Edgar Allen Poe often does, and with a wonder of inquiry that keeps one intrigued, much like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

The prime occurrence begins in the well-captured year in the
new millennia
of 2002, at Queen's University, which is not directly specified until later in the tale, but believed to be in Belfast, Northern Ireland, at a social gathering. Sadly, it took a turn for the worst, divulging some sad and sensitive details, without detailing the most horrific act of the incidence, such as in the writing style of Hugo, which I greatly appreciate. It does make one ponder on how one thinks when they decide to cross that line of evil, much like Poe's works, by the idea of
shame will silence
due to the chosen victim's introversion. This opening sequence gives the reader a glimpse into that dark, tragic world of a predator wanting to create a victim, leaving the reader longing for justice, as Doyle would have.

The main body of the story takes a forward leap into the year 2014, where Woman Detective Sergeant Denise Stewart has been transferred to the Strandtown Police Station in the Serious Crimes Department due to a promotion. W.D.S. Stewart is an upbeat and well-kept woman in her mid-20's. She is serious,
in control
, and able to quickly analyze a situation while maintaining a humble, yet successful demeanor. She was promoted to a
plain clothes
detective after exposing a corrupt colleague from the Lisburn City Police Station, where she previously worked. As a result of this exposure of the corrupt Inspector Kerley, Stewart had to face a biased ridicule and harassment for
betraying a colleague
from her past coworkers. As a result of this, it does make her question the intentions of men in general, and in which she unfairly convicts her male associates, which is nicely portrayed.

Stewart is welcomed in to her new work surroundings by the decent and
friendly
, Detective Chief Inspector Jim Sheehan, the
tall, well-built
and well-meaning partner, Detective Tom Allen, as well as the brash Sergeant McCullough, who is still afflicted with a trace of
the troubles
. She later meets up with the
handsome and charismatic
, Crown Prosecutor Turner, for her testimony against Inspector Kerley and later for a dinner date, and further on into the thickening plot, the coroner Dr. Dick Campbell makes his appearance.

After the introductions, the reader is lead through the discerning trial and on into the detective's life. Right from the start of Stewart's new position, a very gruesome and unusual crime scene emerge, blossoming into a serial killer's journey. Along with this disturbing set of scenes, Stewart realizes that she may herself be the subject of a stalker, which adds to the intense intrigue. Thankfully, there is a satisfying conclusion to ease your palpitations!

This is a typical type, yet in depth, murder mystery story that I thoroughly enjoyed reading. The historical aspects, and colorful suspects that were addressed, along with the variety of suspenseful events and intriguing routes which unfolded, kept one on edge, which is why I gave Brian O'Hare's The 11:05 Murders a 4 out of 4 star rating. :tiphat:

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like freezsia7's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I liked your comparison to Edgar Allen Poe and how the author gives the story a twist - leaves you on the edge of your chair. Great details about Denise. Nice job.
freezsia7

Post by freezsia7 »

Thank you kindly, kdstrack! I greatly appreciate your acknowledgment!
J Gordon
Currently Reading: school for husbands
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-gordon.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by J Gordon »

You mentioned several originators of the genre, which I realize now the author drew on, so I will add a couple I thought of as well: John Buchan and Robert Louis Stevenson, since they too evoke that suspenseful pairing within Irish/scottish realms and dangerous emotional journeys.
J. Gordon :tiphat:
freezsia7

Post by freezsia7 »

Touché, pradlfan! Nice addition!
J Gordon

Post by J Gordon »

thanks... I totally omitted some other more recent connections, like John Sandford. And I kept hearing the intense burr when the male in BROADCHURCH tv series screams at his female colleague "Millerrrrrrrr!"
Suddenly I am bringing home Scotland mysteries from the library.
freezsia7

Post by freezsia7 »

What an awesome connection, pradlfan!
J Gordon

Post by J Gordon »

Thank you - I get crazy seeing connections everywhere!
freezsia7 wrote: 26 Feb 2018, 18:00 What an awesome connection, pradlfan!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”