Review by jessinikkip -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by jessinikkip -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by jessinikkip »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine waking up one day and instead of finding yourself in bed, you are on a long strip of deserted beach on a large island. Behind you is the jungle and then a volcano, in front of you is the ocean and a boat. Beside you is nothing but your best friend. You have no idea how you got here and no real memory of your life before right now. You have no food, no water and no way off the island except for the hope that boat is operational. In Island Games: Mystery of the Four Quadrants by Caleb J. Boyer, this is the exact situation in which the main characters find themselves.

This book is perfect for the age category of preteens (aged 9-13) and I would say that probably boys would enjoy this more than girls. The language used is very simplistic which makes the story easy to read and follow along with instead of struggling every sentence to figure out what a word means. The plot and pace of the book reminds me of other novels such as The Hunger Games or The Maze Runner, so fans of those books will enjoy this one.

My rating for this book though is 3 out of 4 stars. To me, the dialogue at some parts has a feel of being forced or very unnatural. An example of this is when the boys are in the jungle and there is a large creature hovering over one of them as he sleeps. Instead of being frozen in fear or fighting or just screaming, the other yells out "Ah! Dude! There's a beast breathing on your face!" Another example of where things seem forced is in the boy’s knowledge of what they must do and what will happen. Near the beginning, they talk about how things are their only chance at survival and they investigate the plants for edible options. But to me, for two young teenage boys who have no memories, how would they know this stuff? And two untrained swimmers manage to last “many hours in the ocean” swimming against the current. Details like these are why I didn’t give a perfect 4 star rating.

However, the book did have many good qualities about it. The adventures the boys faced were never unbelievable that they could have survived them. I also enjoyed that it never took any kind of magic or other supernatural interference for the boys to survive. They managed to use their friendship and work together to make it past their challenges, which is something not seen very often in books. I also liked the connection between how some stages of their challenges seem more like a video game than real life, considering their only shared memory at first is playing games. I was actually expecting the ending to reveal the whole time they had just been characters being controlled in a video game, so the end was a decent surprise for me and left me wanting know more about the boys and their next adventure.

Overall, the experience of reading this book was a good one. I tried to keep the age of the author out of my feelings for the book and found I was pleasantly surprised again. I expected to be able to say that this book was good considering its author was just twelve. But this book was interesting and well written enough that I would have felt the same even with an adult author. So instead I can just say this book is good.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jessinikkip's review? Post a comment saying so!
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

I liked the story, the characters, and the themes, but I had issues with the ending and wrote about it in my review. It was just too open ended for me, and I'm not against open endings for the most part.
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino

Post by jessinikkip »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 20 Feb 2018, 13:08 I liked the story, the characters, and the themes, but I had issues with the ending and wrote about it in my review. It was just too open ended for me, and I'm not against open endings for the most part.
Agreed. I usually enjoy very open endings that you can take multiple ways but to me this one just felt wrong. Like there was this great build up and then nothing.
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Great review! I gave the same rating for reasons quite similar to yours. Nonetheless, I will agree with you that it was a good book, considering that the author was just 12 when he wrote it.
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

I couldn't believe when I saw that the author wrote this at only 12! It seems like an excellent book, but one that could do with a better wrap up than what it had. Although, it seems it may have been setting up for a sequel? I haven't looked to see if there's more.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I was kept turning the pages of this fast-paced book of excitement and adventure during my review. The boys were very brave and worked together as a team. Thank you for your very descriptive review of this book.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Although excessive stimuli and stress may also be harmful, studies seem to show that unusual situations have the potential to maximise our abilities and catapult us into more than our ordinary speed, pace, stamina, or strength. However, to have my underaged kids placed in a situation as this book's characters would be quite unthinkable and albeit awful.

Thank you for your honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Wow! I looked it up and it's amazing that such a young boy has written this book and, apparently, with major success. I understand the flaws you mention, but it seems like an action-packed read that many preteens and teens can enjoy, despite them. It's not my kind of read but I'm glad to see young talents and I'll keep it in mind for recommendations.
A very analytical and honest review, thanks!
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton

Post by unamilagra »

Wow, I am impressed that a 12 year old was able to write such a good book. I'm glad you enjoyed the plot for the most part, even though it sounds like the writing was not very sophisticated. Sounds like the author has plenty of time to perfect his craft though!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”