Review by Eva Darrington -- From Drift to SHIFT

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Re: Review by Eva Darrington -- From Drift to SHIFT

Post by CommMayo »

I hate it when the message of a book is overshadowed by poor (or nonexistent) editing. No excuse for that in my book...no pun intended!
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

CommMayo wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 16:15 I hate it when the message of a book is overshadowed by poor (or nonexistent) editing. No excuse for that in my book...no pun intended!
Yes, that was definitely the case with the book. It became really distracting. The semicolon errors were on almost every page. Thanks so much for reading my review. Have a good week.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Loved your review. And, I so agree about the semicolon errors. They came in the way of the reading quite a bit.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Samy Lax wrote: 21 Feb 2018, 07:11 Loved your review. And, I so agree about the semicolon errors. They came in the way of the reading quite a bit.
Thank you for stopping by. I really wanted to like this book, but didn't end up quite there. Have a good day.
-Nayyirah Waheed
SeseAssor
Favorite Book: Born a crime
Currently Reading: American Gods
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seseassor.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by SeseAssor »

This is a very in-depth review. Your point of view is critical to both reader and author.
Jody may have only wanted to tell us to live lives that is ours, not that we need not suffer. I mean, at certain points in life, things become tough but that does not imply that we choose dissatisfied lives. The drifting bit is when you come to know your real purpose, and that is what brings true fulfillment.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

SeseAssor wrote: 22 Feb 2018, 05:16 This is a very in-depth review. Your point of view is critical to both reader and author.
Jody may have only wanted to tell us to live lives that is ours, not that we need not suffer. I mean, at certain points in life, things become tough but that does not imply that we choose dissatisfied lives. The drifting bit is when you come to know your real purpose, and that is what brings true fulfillment.
I take your point about the author's intention. I do believe she truly wanted to inspire people to live happy lives. I just felt quite strongly that she didn't understand her subject matter very well. The author had wonderful intentions but the book fell short for me. Thank you so much for your comments. I appreciate you stopping by.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Jkhorner
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jkhorner.html
Latest Review: The Stipulations of the New Covenant by Ralph E. Bass, Jr.

Post by Jkhorner »

Happiness all day, every day is not a spiritual principle, nor is it a useful yardstick for change. It sets up an unattainable goal, which is the kryptonite of change.
This is exactly it! A lot of things felt off about the book, but this point is definitely a major concern. No one achieves happiness without hard work and sometimes pain. Thank you for thoroughly summing up why I wasn't a fan of this book!
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Jkhorner wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 10:47
Happiness all day, every day is not a spiritual principle, nor is it a useful yardstick for change. It sets up an unattainable goal, which is the kryptonite of change.
This is exactly it! A lot of things felt off about the book, but this point is definitely a major concern. No one achieves happiness without hard work and sometimes pain. Thank you for thoroughly summing up why I wasn't a fan of this book!
Thank you so much for stopping by and reading my review. I truly appreciate it. I will check out your reviewer page.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Marika Tabone
Currently Reading: Lost Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marika-tabone.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Marika Tabone »

I appreciate your review. I understand your point about the dramatic experiences that some people described in the book go through. I too was not very keen on those chapters. However, at one point the author did mention that some experiences may not appeal to all. Thank God most of us will not go through such physical trauma yet I believe for those that are in such situations the book can give motivation and strength to shift into a happier state by finding their purpose.
I also want to thank you for leaving a comment on my review.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Marika Tabone wrote: 09 Mar 2018, 16:43 Thank God most of us will not go through such physical trauma yet I believe for those that are in such situations the book can give motivation and strength to shift into a happier state by finding their purpose.
I also want to thank you for leaving a comment on my review.
I so agree with you. And I am happy the book has had a positive impact on you. Thank you for stopping by. I appreciate it.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 04:43 I think Buddhism does focus on happiness as a goal, but yes, what is meant there is attaining nirvana through non-attachment.
I was looking through some of my older reviews and saw your comment again. I really appreciate your thoughtful words. They helped me clarify something. I concur that happiness is a goal in Buddhism. As I understand it, that path to happiness starts from an understanding of the root causes of suffering. Working with that is the path. I guess my feeling was that the author's wanting everyone to be happy every moment was a simplistic understanding of the underpinnings of this concept, in several religions and spiritual traditions. Anyway, sorry to wax on. I was just able to clarify what I wish I'd made clearer in the review. Again, thanks for commenting.
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”