Review by Eva Darrington -- From Drift to SHIFT

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Review by Eva Darrington -- From Drift to SHIFT

Post by EvaDar »

[Following is a volunteer review of "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Most of us have experienced times when we aren't happy – when we wish our lives were somehow different. Maybe we are in a dead-end job or a failing relationship. In From Drift to Shift, author Jody B. Miller’s 2017 book, she writes, “When we don’t feel useful or worthy in work and life, we spiral downward. How do we rise up from the pit of despair?” Miller set out to answer this existential question. She boldly asserts that this book serves as a roadmap to where we want to be – to “true happiness and fulfillment every day.”

Jody Miller’s 12 years as an executive recruiter and job/life coach positioned her to compile the stories of eight people who each found themselves in challenging, and even death-defying, situations. From Drift to Shift is presented in four sections that each represent a phase in the process of shifting toward a better life. Section one examines the motivation for change. Serita’s success in spite of her foster care beginnings, and the survival of the Amazon-dwelling Achuar people teach us to follow our hearts regardless of the opposition.

Section two, “When to Shift,” introduces Andy, an extreme-sports athlete who nearly died in a skydiving accident. After persevering through 26 surgeries and years of rigorous physical therapy, Andy went on to help others who have experienced injury, trauma, or disability. Somehow Andy forged on even in the absence of personal strength. How do we keep going in the face of desperate circumstances? That brings us to section three.

“How to Shift” invites us into the heart of the matter. Whether it is trauma, depression, illness, or general dissatisfaction, Miller examines how people successfully rise up and out of challenging circumstances. Commitment, focus, and determination are important, but what actually enables us to stay committed to changing our life path? That’s where spirituality comes in. Having a connection with some version of spiritual principles is a theme that runs through this section and much of the book. Buddhism, Christianity, and Hinduism all figure prominently as potential paths to happiness and fulfillment.

Many of the stories are compelling, though they often stray far from the stated theme of the book. The full title of the book is From Drift to Shift: How Change Can Bring True Meaning and Happiness to Your Work and Life. In the introduction, the author asserts, “We spend more than 30 percent of our lives doing something we hate, or we stay in relationships that make us miserable. We just drift along.” She sets up a theme in the realm of work and relationships but then meanders into the depth of trauma. Many of the people in Miller's stories experience severe, severe trauma – from early attachment wounds to near-death disfiguring accidents. These stories are a mismatch for this book’s theme. I question why the author chose to include stories with this level of severity. These survivors were not somehow “drifting” in their lives and needing to “shift.” They endured years, sometimes decades, of therapies and painstaking personal work. Miller fails to hone in on whether the book is a self-help book about how to shift out of job or relationship dissatisfaction, or a psychology book about how to move beyond severe trauma, or a spiritual/inspirational book about how to achieve fulfillment through spirituality. Unfortunately, Miller doesn’t do any of these things really well.

There is an apparent disconnect between the author’s spiritual prescription for change and her own words. In the introduction, Miller declares, “ I want you to be happy, in all things, every day of your life. This is what you deserve – it is your birthright.” The author espouses spiritual principles but repeatedly advances happiness as the ultimate goal. Buddhist and Hindu teachings acknowledge we can employ practices that help lessen the experience of suffering, but suffering will always come and go. And as for Christianity, “through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God” (Acts 14:22). Happiness all day, every day is not a spiritual principle, nor is it a useful yardstick for change. It sets up an unattainable goal, which is the kryptonite of change. In addition, it undercuts the pain and discomfort that true change often requires. Spirituality figures largely in the book, but I don’t know of a spiritual tradition that promotes happiness in all things, at all times.

The book’s supplemental sections are cumbersome. The appendix and notes span a tedious 75 pages of this 259-page book. The appendix includes a long, detailed Hinduism primer. While interesting, a spiritual treatise this long doesn’t fit with the rest of the book. The notes section contains over 20 pages of additional advice and information from the author, where a page or two with some links would have been cleaner and more effective.

The book is full of editing errors – over 10. The editor used the semicolon improperly throughout the book. I stopped counting at 10 semicolon errors in the first 50 pages. I rate From Drift to Shift 2 out of 4 stars. While I think some will gain inspiration from the stories, the book as a whole was unfocused. And, the basic message was difficult to extract from the sea of feel-good clichés like, “Be as positive as you can.” If you are attracted to this book because of the theme invoked by the title, you may be disappointed. Miller ultimately fails to impart a clear path from “drift” to “shift.”

From Drift to SHIFT
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Eva Darrington's review? Post a comment saying so!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Rose_13
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kealani.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Rose_13 »

Very nice & thorough review, I like how you went into detail about all the different aspects of the book.
And thank you for reading & commenting on my review of this book as well!
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Rose_13 wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 23:41 Very nice & thorough review, I like how you went into detail about all the different aspects of the book.
And thank you for reading & commenting on my review of this book as well!
Thanks so much for stopping by. I appreciate it.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Entrepreneurship: 5 Best Practices for Stay-At-Home-Moms who want to start an Online Business by Patricia Jennings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

You put your finger on the major shortcoming of this book in this excellent review. To be fair, the author says that the "shift" can be imposed by life in the form of devastating circumstances. But you're quite right that this is not the same thing as finding the impetus to break out of a life of quiet desperation.

I think Buddhism does focus on happiness as a goal, but yes, what is meant there is attaining nirvana through non-attachment.

I enjoyed reading your review and thinking about these points again, even if it brought back bad memories of all those semi-colon errors!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 04:43 You put your finger on the major shortcoming of this book in this excellent review. To be fair, the author says that the "shift" can be imposed by life in the form of devastating circumstances. But you're quite right that this is not the same thing as finding the impetus to break out of a life of quiet desperation.

I think Buddhism does focus on happiness as a goal, but yes, what is meant there is attaining nirvana through non-attachment.

I enjoyed reading your review and thinking about these points again, even if it brought back bad memories of all those semi-colon errors!
Thanks so much for reading my review and commenting. I appreciate it.
-Nayyirah Waheed
KatyJS
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 548">Black Privilege</a>
Currently Reading: 5 Habits of a Woman Who Doesn't Quit
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katyjs.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by KatyJS »

I love your review. I wasn’t as excited about the book as my review may indicate. But when I read her take on the point of the book, that hit me over the head. I often feel like all I do is drift. Sometimes I have a “Life Sucks” day. I want an instant answer, but there isn’t one.
Thanks for your feedback.
KatyJS
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

KatyJS wrote: 11 Feb 2018, 12:16 I love your review. I wasn’t as excited about the book as my review may indicate. But when I read her take on the point of the book, that hit me over the head. I often feel like all I do is drift. Sometimes I have a “Life Sucks” day. I want an instant answer, but there isn’t one.
Thanks for your feedback.
KatyJS
I appreciate you taking time to read my review. The book definitely had great potential to help us shift. It just fell short in some ways. Thanks for stopping by!
-Nayyirah Waheed
Umm_Zahra
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0686">From Drift to SHIFT</a>
Currently Reading: Breaking Point
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-umm-zahra.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Umm_Zahra »

I enjoyed reading this. It was critically thorough, and raises questions I had passed over. Good job.
Adrian mulenga
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrian-mulenga.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Adrian mulenga »

I think you did a great job reviewing the book, if I didn't read this book, I would have just after reading your review. Its good.
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Umm_Zahra wrote: 13 Feb 2018, 07:24 I enjoyed reading this. It was critically thorough, and raises questions I had passed over. Good job.
I appreciate you stopping by. I am often reminded of items I'd passed over from reading others' reviews. I guess that is the beauty of it all. Have a good week.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Adrian mulenga wrote: 13 Feb 2018, 09:31 I think you did a great job reviewing the book, if I didn't read this book, I would have just after reading your review. Its good.
Thank you for reading my review. I appreciate you stopping by. Have a good week.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Musae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-musae.html
Latest Review: That Place of Knowledge by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by Musae »

Nice review - I love good self-help books but most are not worth reading.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Musae wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 01:03 Nice review - I love good self-help books but most are not worth reading.
Thank you for stopping by. I really wanted to like this book, but it was just too unfocused for me. Have a good week.
-Nayyirah Waheed
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Thanks for this nice, critical review. I like inspirational books. The Stories of this are really encouraging. But you are right that inner material doesn't truly represent its title.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 11:19 Thanks for this nice, critical review. I like inspirational books. The Stories of this are really encouraging. But you are right that inner material doesn't truly represent its title.
Thanks for stopping by Sarah. Yes, some of the stories were really inspiring. People can overcome devastating circumstances. That would make another good book. About people thriving after overcoming tragic events. Have a good week.
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”