Review by melissy370 -- Roadmap to the End of Days

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by melissy370 -- Roadmap to the End of Days

Post by melissy370 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Roadmap to the End of Days" by Daniel Friedmann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Last days. Dooms day. End of the world. The end of the Age. These phrases represent when our world will end. Throughout history humanity has struggled to fathom the end times. Can we perceive what will transpire? When and where will it take place? Daniel Friedmann tackles this head on in the third instalment in his Inspired Studies Series titled Roadmap to the End Times. As a scientist and having studied in religion, Friedmann works to harmonize science with the biblical account. He states we can recognize how and when it will happen. We can even speed up the date. In this book he shows a blueprint for the universe and humankind’s existence. The Torah, which encompasses the Written Law and the Oral Law of Judaism is the key to unravelling this mystery. By using these manuscripts, the writer sets out a pattern that correlates biblical stories with events in history. If we know the past pattern, then figuring out the details of the future will be easier.

Friedmann covers a lot of ideas is this book. One of the most fascinating for me was how he reached a conclusion on a world ending date. There was a significant time spent developing this position. Most surprising was his usage of the creation story in getting the timetable. The author theorizes our end date to be around 2240 CE. The key word is “around” because since man possesses free will we may detain the incident by our decisions. We can advance it along by creating a more fitting world for God. We must recognize the time is near and work to present an environment for God to inhabit. Friedman ends with an outline of how we can quicken the coming of the last days.

The author provides a multitude of endnotes, appendixes and websites for further research on topics dealt with in the book. I appreciated this since I come from a Christian point of view and did not know much of the Oral Laws in Judaism. These extra research tools helped me fill in the gaps of my knowledge. The only drawback is I had to stop in the middle of a paragraph and go to a website or appendix which interrupted my reading the text.

Throughout the book I disagreed with Friedmann on theological issues. One example is in chapter 9. Here the author asserts "Adam and Eve went against their one commandment: not to eat fruit from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil until the end of Day 6—instead, they ate three hours before the end of the day. Had they obeyed the commandment, Adam, and Eve would have given birth to the Messiah and ushered in the World to Come. But they failed to do the right thing during this critical period and as a consequence were expelled from the Garden of Eden, leading to our existence in this world." The Jewish view is that there will be two Messiahs. Messiah ben Joseph's role is of political and military nature and he will defend Israel against the forces of evil. Messiah ben David will come next and he will lead the world in justice and peace. Ben David will finish rebuilding the 3rd temple so that God can come once again to live among us. For me there seemed to be a hole in this logic. If Adam and Eve did not sin, then why the need of a Messiah? They already dwelt with God in the Garden of Eden. The Messiah would not be needed to bring us back to peace with God and men.

Even though I differed with Friedmann on many viewpoints, it did not prevent me from enjoying the book. The book deepened my knowledge of another view of God and humans. I give Roadmap to the End Times a 4 out of 4 stars. It was carefully researched and illuminating. This book would be good for anyone who wants to explore ideas of religion and are curious about the end times. This is not a book for anyone who prefers a light read. Friedmann goes in depth on many subjects and you will need extra concentration for the reading. If you put in the effort, you will not be disappointed.

Roadmap to the End of Days
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like melissy370's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The book seems to be full of theological and scientific aspects. Adam and Eve disregarded God's commandments. Later on, though they apologized and their apology was accepted by God, but they were sent to the world for real exam.
Thanks for your critical and comprehensive review.
Feel free to check out my reviews.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Irene C »

I'm not sure what to make of this sort of non-fictional speculation book blending theology and science, but your review was a good guide. Thanks.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
melissy370
Currently Reading:

Post by melissy370 »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 12:13 The book seems to be full of theological and scientific aspects. Adam and Eve disregarded God's commandments. Later on, though they apologized and their apology was accepted by God, but they were sent to the world for real exam.
Thanks for your critical and comprehensive review.
Feel free to check out my reviews.
Thanks for your comment. I will certainly look at some of your reviews.
melissy370
Currently Reading:

Post by melissy370 »

Irene C wrote: 18 Feb 2018, 14:57 I'm not sure what to make of this sort of non-fictional speculation book blending theology and science, but your review was a good guide. Thanks.
Freidmann has an unique point of view for sure. I am skeptical on some of them as well. The approach of how he presents his theories are excellent though. Thanks for your thoughts.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

Very good and detailed review! I like your criticism of the author’s idea of Adam and Eve giving birth to the messiah. Perhaps he should have described it differently, because it does sound like a hole in the theology. I really loved this book though.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

The Last days. Dooms day. End of the world. The end of the Age. These phrases represent when our world will end. Throughout history humanity has struggled to fathom the end times. Can we perceive what will transpire? When and where will it take place?
We may come from different religions (other than athiesm), but we are taught to prepare for this day, to do good, to attain eternal life, and happiness. When? - nobody else knows, but God.

Thanks for the detailed review.
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

This is one of the books I reviewed when I first joined this site. I had a challenge with the universality of the book when I noticed its geared towards Christians. Your review is comprehensive. Well done!
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this is an interesting harmonization of science and religion in order to tackle one of the most iconic topics: the End of Days. While I am a bit rusty on my Revelations, I do understand the importance of attempting to explain events that are religious or "biblical" in nature with science. It is definitely worth at least a quick read. Well Done.
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Great review!
I hate to admit it but I don't think I would personally enjoy this book as I like a light read. Thanks for the heads up on that. Glad you enjoyed it though!
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Throughout the book I disagreed with Friedmann on theological issues. One example is in chapter 9. Here the author asserts "Adam and Eve went against their one commandment: not to eat fruit from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil until the end of Day 6—instead, they ate three hours before the end of the day. Had they obeyed the commandment, Adam, and Eve would have given birth to the Messiah and ushered in the World to Come. But they failed to do the right thing during this critical period and as a consequence were expelled from the Garden of Eden, leading to our existence in this world." The Jewish view is that there will be two Messiahs. Messiah ben Joseph's role is of political and military nature and he will defend Israel against the forces of evil. Messiah ben David will come next and he will lead the world in justice and peace. Ben David will finish rebuilding the 3rd temple so that God can come once again to live among us. For me there seemed to be a hole in this logic. If Adam and Eve did not sin, then why the need of a Messiah? They already dwelt with God in the Garden of Eden. The Messiah would not be needed to bring us back to peace with God and men.

Even though I differed with Friedmann on many viewpoints, it did not prevent me from enjoying the book.
This is such a healthy attitude! I'm glad you approached the book with an open mind and, of course, you don't have to agree with the author to appreciate his work.
Honestly, I don't believe in the end of days as portrayed by most religions, but I still think the topic has a great cultural importance and it's interesting.
Thanks for a great review.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

Sounds like an interesting read but a bit too biblical for my tastes. Great review of the book though! Thanks again.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I could see where you're coming from on the author's writing "hole" you've mentioned. Also, given the two facets of the author's background, I agree that this would be another read for scholarly treatment and deeper introspection. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

It is interesting that the author uses the Torah to match biblical stories with historical events and sees patterns that may lead to the end of days. This book could cause a lot of discussions on the topics he covers.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”