Review by PriyaRD -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
PriyaRD
2018 Reading Goal: 36
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 11
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyard.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Review by PriyaRD -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by PriyaRD » 01 Feb 2018, 08:47

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Yesterday, A Novel of Reincarnation is a fiction written by Samyann. It is a fantastic mixture of love and history along with the author’s passion for writing. It is the author’s first novel and she has done a wonderful job.

The story starts with Amanda Parker, a sensitive young woman who fights with depression due to the loss of lovable souls in her life. She meets a handsome young police officer Mark Patrick Callahan in an unusual situation. The meeting gives her a sense of deja vu as if she knew him for so long. Surprisingly Mark has the same feel as well. Amanda rediscovers her past with the help of her Aunt Mary, who is a famous psychologist. Mark has become her constant support after she had met him. During the reincarnation, Amanda hears the bells of St. Michael which sounds same as the chimes of the clock she bought recently gives the reader a sense of tickling to the spine.

The author had sincerely narrated the readers on the tragedy of American Civil War, Slavery and The Great Chicago Fire. The author has justified the horrors of war in the descriptions such as Bonnie dressed like a boy while traveling during the war and the little girl’s post-war life. I loved the way the author connected the past lives and present one with ease.

Most of the Characters in the story was impressive. I loved the Character of Mary, Amanda’s Aunt for her humor and her unconditional love towards Amanda. I was impressed by Mark’s responsibility to make sure Amanda is feeling good even though Amanda behaves differently with him from time to time. Penelope and Margaret, the two sisters who come in the little girl Bonnie’s life was amazing as well.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I am someone who doesn’t believe in Reincarnation, but the way author conveyed was so beautiful, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Reading the novel gives me more love to learn history. Appreciate the way the author has given notes of history which fulfills the story. I end the review with the takeaway thought from Mary in the novel as “Your attitude toward the past, present, and future helps to determine what turnings your life will take. It’s going to unfold in its own way, and you can count on this: what you expect will usually happen. If you resign yourself to a life of tragedy, you can expect tragedy.”

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like PriyaRD's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by kdstrack » 12 Feb 2018, 07:07

Nice review. Your comments about the Civil War, Slavery and Chicago Fire are great. It is wonderful when authors are able to present the historical events accurately and incorporate them as ways to increase interest in the story. Great job. Thanks.

lavellan
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 36
Currently Reading: Jane Eyre
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: The Banshees by Anthony Land

Post by lavellan » 13 Feb 2018, 08:56

Thanks for your review! I like that the author was able to pair reincarnation with visiting important historical events. The idea of reincarnation also goes well with romance.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”