Review by papaya12 -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by papaya12 -- Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by papaya12 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Island Games" by Caleb J. Boyer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One day, you wake up on the beach of a deserted island. You can't remember much of your life, much less how you came to be there. You see a boat in the distance and decide to swim for it hoping that there might be a radio to contact land or at least some provisions. As you are swimming, you see a fin coming towards you. It's a shark! You swim faster, but the shark just keeps coming after you. It's almost as if someone put it up to it. When you finally reach the boat, you are rewarded with provisions. After a few more similar challenges with similar rewards, you conclude that you are indeed part of some game where if you win you get to live till the next challenge and if you lose you die. This is the predicament Matthew and Ryan find themselves in.

I thought this book was well thought-out and it was obvious from the beginning that the author was going somewhere. He wasn't just trying to make a word-count; he was making every word count. I liked the suspenseful feel the book had as you always knew that more danger was just around the corner for Matthew and Ryan. I also enjoyed the cliff-hanger ending and the point the author was trying to make with it.

As much as I enjoyed Island Games, I did have a couple of problems with the dialogue. At times it felt a little stilted and samey. A couple of times I had to check to make sure I wasn't reading the same page over again. I felt that these minor annoyances didn't merit taking off a whole star, though. One more thing is that I would've liked to know a little bit more about the characters like how old they were. I can't take off any stars for this as the characters don't remember much about themselves at the moment so they can hardly tell me their age or where they're from.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. If I could I would probably take off .25 stars for the dialogue but it was more of a personal annoyance that barely hindered the reading of the book than a major mistake on the part of the author.

Overall, I really liked this book and thought that the author did an amazing job fully thinking the plot through and getting his thoughts from his head onto the paper. He perfectly balanced suspense and fun to make a really good book.

Island Games
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like papaya12's review? Post a comment saying so!
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

See, I had such a hard time getting into this book because of the dialogue and ultimately haven't gottten around to finishing it as a result. It's difficult to read a book when it doesn't feel like it could be real, you know? I"m glad you enjoyed it though. Thanks for writing a review!
papaya12
Currently Reading: Insurgent
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-papaya12.html
Latest Review: Protostar by Braxton A. Cosby
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by papaya12 »

Yeah, the dialogue is a little bit rough but if you can get past that it's a really great book. If you can find it in you, I would recommend trying to finish the book.
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

SPasciuti wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 17:40 See, I had such a hard time getting into this book because of the dialogue and ultimately haven't gottten around to finishing it as a result. It's difficult to read a book when it doesn't feel like it could be real, you know? I"m glad you enjoyed it though. Thanks for writing a review!
I completely agree with you, I did end up finishing and writing a review on it, but it was hard for me to get through. The story had good pace but was just waaaay too simple.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”