Review by Whitney Marchelle -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Whitney Marchelle
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading: Clan and Conscience (Clan beginnings Book 6)
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitney-marchelle.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Review by Whitney Marchelle -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Whitney Marchelle »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Science fiction, action, and romance are just some of the words to describe the first series of the trilogy by Alex Fayman. Superhighway brings a whole new meaning to the phrase “Going digital”. In Alex Fines' world this is no longer a metaphor, but his literal existence. He has gained powers that allow him to transport himself through digital passageways. That’s right! The internet.

Alex fine is an orphan with vast potential. He’s bright eyed, 18, and excited about his freshman year at university when things go awry. While attempting to fix the computers at the orphanage he is transported across the world and thus begins his adventure. This new found power has introduced Alex to the most memorable moments of his life, and tests his character as a person. He encounters most of the firsts a normal 18 year old would, and some that only a great author can put him in. He gets involved with a known crime lord, attempts to Robin Hood the bad guy, and explores his coming of age sexuality all in the same story. The question remains; what kind of person will Alex become?

Mr. Fayman has introduced an amazing and complex character in Alex Fine. He deals with the average emotions that all of us had while transitioning from kid to adult. The difference is Alex has the added burden of having super powers that give him access to some of the world’s biggest secrets, and darkest temptations. For the most part Alex is living the dream, and getting everything that he once wished for. As we all know what glitters isn’t gold and Alex learns this lesson big time when one decision turns the events of this story into an action-packed adventure.

The story started off a bit slow for me, however when the action started it didn’t let up. I was intrigued because I couldn’t decide if I rooted for him or against him. He did things that made me want to give him a high five, and others that made me want to smack him in the back of the head and call him a dummy. Fayman really took you on the roller coaster ride that was Alex’s life and I think it made the story better for it.

There were some word use issues where he used peace and piece incorrectly. You notice and understand what he means, but it did stand out. There were also some grammar errors. I rated this story a 3 out of 4 stars. Overall I would recommend this to young adults and adults who love gadgets and computers. It is a great sci-fi fantasy story of discovery and technology.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Whitney Marchelle's review? Post a comment saying so!

SPasciuti
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 36
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

You definitely do a good job of highlighting the interesting aspects of the story. I've read a few reviews about it thus far and haven't yet decided if I want to read it or not, but it definitely sounds interesting. I kind of love the back and forth dichotomy you have with your feelings about the main character. It's definitely an interesting way to read a book, in my opinion. Thanks for writing a review.

jaylperry
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

I really enjoyed your review of this book! You have an engaging reviewing style. I also really enjoyed the book. I also rated it 3 out of 4 stars for editing and proofreading.
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle

NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 143
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 386
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Whitney Marchelle wrote:
31 Jan 2018, 21:50
Mr. Fayman has introduced an amazing and complex character in Alex Fine. He deals with the average emotions that all of us had while transitioning from kid to adult.
I found I liked the development of Alex in this book. It was interesting to see him grow up (albeit just a little). I also gave this book a positive review.
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”