Review by Tzara Drusak -- Fish Wielder

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Review by Tzara Drusak -- Fish Wielder

Post by Tzara Drusak »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Fish Wielder" by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

47 chapters of sublime comedic fantasy fiction, animated by diverse characters and satirical dialogues, Fish Wielder is the unexpected delicious read.

It is the first official ‘novel novel’ by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison, a writer, screen writer, animator and film director whose work is reflected in his writing. Initially drawn by the somewhat childish graphic cover, I thought Fish Wielder would be the predictable, corny story with the far-fetched twists read for its relaxed feel and humorous plot. I was pleasantly surprised, however. True, it contains a facsimile of these basic elements, but Hardison deftly delivers his tale with an ingenious and tangible unpredictability.

Written in the third person narrative, Fish Wielder, at first, seemingly follows the stereotypical line of the storybook hero with the unbelievably dashing looks accompanied by the convenient sidekick and likewise gorgeous love interest on a mission to save the world. It’s so much more than that.

Thoral Mighty Fist, our protagonist, is an interesting dichotomy; a fight-loving brute that detests blood on his person, presumed uncaring yet with a soft spot for cute animals, and thought a raging barbarian but who’s a stickler for hygiene. We’re introduced to Bradfast, your resident Koi fish out of water, who provides an easy camaraderie and saucy exchanges and Nalweegie, an elfin princess who’s the more dramatic version of Lois Lane’s counter to a morose Clark Kent. The three characters, along with King Elfrod and fellow supporting personae, set off on a time-sensitive mission in the land of Grome to prevent the fabled Pudding of Power, created over a millennium earlier, from falling into the hands of the Heartless one, the mastermind behind the Bad Religion.

What captivated me throughout this book was its tone. Hardison composed an utterly absurd novel and he wants readers to know it. Rich with puns and a tendency to lean towards hilarious nomenclature – Futon and Tampon being honorable mentions – Fish Wielder is a curious mix of fairytale and parody. The character buildup and subsequent reveal was free-flowing and I appreciated the lightheartedness it transmitted. Worth acknowledging is the fact that the novel is not solely focused on humor. Midway through the story, we encounter a touching and for lack of a better word, deep moment. The heroes undergo loss, and we connect with them on a empathic note, and we see where they come to terms with past and present hardships.

There were, in my opinion, marginal to nonexistent errors. Throughout the story, however, there’s an inconsistent ring of Old English, formal speech primarily established, then occasions of modern vernacular. This might create some slight confusion, but towards the end this is cleared up.

I rate this book 4 out of four stars. I opine that lovers of fantasy and even comics will find this an interesting read as the storyline is unique and titillating with lovable characters. Give it a go, have a laugh.

Fish Wielder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Tzara Drusak's review? Post a comment saying so!
vinodsai
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 299

Post by vinodsai »

Nice Review. A barbaric warrior named Thoral Mighty Fist and his trusted sidekick Brad try to save the world of Grome and go on the ultimate quest to find the lost Pudding of Power.
Becky Tranquil
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Becky Tranquil »

vinodsai wrote: 08 Mar 2018, 23:44 Nice Review. A barbaric warrior named Thoral Mighty Fist and his trusted sidekick Brad try to save the world of Grome and go on the ultimate quest to find the lost Pudding of Power.
This sort of feels like Batman and Robin, with Catwoman as the love interest. I agree that it's a nice review, and will probably read Fish Wielder.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”