Review by kaylaolson35 -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kaylaolson35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylaolson35.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Review by kaylaolson35 -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by kaylaolson35 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White is a nonfiction, self-help book about Robert White himself. Robert grew up in a poor town with the model reality that being poor is just how it is and that’s how it will always be. He surprised everyone by redirecting his life path before he graduated high school. Instead of doing what was expected by working in the town factory, he decided to go to college. He became a very successful real estate entrepreneur and restaurateur.

When I first started reading this book, it was hard to stay focused on what I was reading. The introduction was boring to me, and chapter one didn’t leave any better of an impression on me. It wasn’t until chapter two that I knew I either needed to quit reading this book and choose another, or change something in myself before reading another word. So I adjusted my attitude, changed my mindset, and continued reading. I am so glad that I did! I have opened my eyes and I have learned so much just by reading this book.

Rob shares twenty-one different stories with us of situations he experienced first-hand. With each experience, there was a different myth he had believed. Throughout his experiences, he met many gurus that unintentionally taught him otherwise. With each myth, came the reality of what he had learned and now believes.

This book could undoubtedly benefit anyone. I believe that in my 33 years of life, I too, have met many gurus of my own. It isn’t until now that I have realized that I need to slow down, open my eyes, and be more aware of the lessons that are right in front of me. Life is short, and if we aren’t more aware of our surroundings and the people we meet, we may be missing so many great lessons.

I rate this book a 4 out of 4. I enjoyed reading this book very much. I think it was a fantastic read and there are many valuable lessons in it. We have all had our own gurus that we may have come in contact with from time to time and didn’t even realize it. I am almost positive that there are many more lessons I could have learned from people if I would slow down, put my stubbornness aside, and pay attention. I recommend this book to anyone who likes to read. I believe that every person will be able to take away something valuable from this book.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kaylaolson35's review? Post a comment saying so!
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I enjoyed reading your review. It is thorough and you highlight many of the aspects of the book I enjoyed. Mostly, I did not like the book because of the author's arrogance throughout. He doesn't seem like the kind of guy I want to take life advice from. But, nonetheless, you wrote a good review. Check out my review if you like. Thanks.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I liked your description of Rob's childhood of being poor "is just how it is". That made me think that he probably was his first own guru by having the courage to leave that poor town! Great review. Thanks.
Ubenroger23
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ubenroger23 »

I liked reading the book because it's educates the society that even poor can great when organize their ideas

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”