Review by The BookWorm Nagham -- Health Tips, Myths, and...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by The BookWorm Nagham -- Health Tips, Myths, and...

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks: A Physician's Advice by Dr. Morton E. Tavel is a non-fiction book written by a physician who specialized in internal medicine and cardiovascular diseases. If his job description didn't impress you and couldn't convince you of the authenticity of the facts and health tips he offers, his use of statistics, charts and references certainly will!

Should we skip breakfast? Is coffee bad for us? What about chocolate? How do we remedy common cold? Am I supposed to eat those food? Are supplements actually good for me? What are the dangers of sodium consumption? Should we consume genetically Modified Foods? Do we need to go gluten-free? Lie detectors? Aloe Vera: a scam? Those are just a sample of the questions addressed by Dr. Tavel.

We live in an era where medical advice, diets and health information are all around us, they can be found with two simple clicks, but a lot of them -if not most- are contradictory. Too much information could be confusing. Between the internet and our mother’s advices we really can’t know who to trust and if the so called tips we’re receiving are valid. In this book Dr. Morton E. Tavel covers in 62 chapters everything from losing weight, to chiropractic treatment.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks: A Physician's Advice is divided into 3 big parts. The first one being “Tips”, the second “Myths” and the third “Tricks”. Each subject he approach is in a chapter on its own making it easy for readers to read the chapters that interest them. Plus the author tackle the chapters professionally, using medical words and statistic, but don't worry the chapters are brief, straight forward and easy to grasp.

In the first section Dr. Tavel addresses health tips and advance arguments and studies that prove his medical advices. He talks about dieting, the benefits of green tea, the foods you should consume, olive oil, cigarette smoke inhalation and much more.

In the “myths” part, false common beliefs are approached. The author first explain the consequences of believing those myths.
As I explain in many of the following chapters, anyone who believes and behaves according to any or all the above nonsensical information is doing so at one’s own risk, possibly even placing his/her own very life—and that other family members—in jeopardy.
He then proceeds by exposing many truths including the myths about raw milk, organic food and even stretching before our workouts!

Finally the “tricks” section exposes the marketing strategies companies use to con us into buying their products. Dr. Tavel exposes the scams using popular faces and the image of strong athletes to convince us of buying some “beneficial” products.

I initially chose to read this book because of my mother's addiction to everything branded "healthy", she constantly sends me tips and advices, and I wanted to be able to participate in our one sided conversation. I must say reading this book has been eye opening. And for that I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I totally recommend it to anyone who's a health junkie or has any questions concerning his health. Everyone should be able to validate the tips he hears on TV or see on social media. I didn't find any misspelled words but the added o after each chapter number was kind of annoying, and I also noticed an error in the numbered formats in the introduction and on page 123, but those errors are minor and didn't distract me from the book at all.

Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like The BookWorm Nagham's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Your comment about the contradictory information certainly rings true. Even online, you can find information to support any opinion. I like your motive for reading the book! Nice job.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I enjoyed reading your review. I learned quite a bit from the book but felt much was not new information. I didn't like the book quite as much as you did, mostly because of the author's wholesale condemnation of alternative medicine. There is plenty of scientific research on alternative practices, but the author relegates the entire field of contemporary medicine to a conspiracy theory. I really like your review, though. Very thorough and interesting to read. Check mine out if you like. Thanks.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:

kdstrack wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 11:45 Your comment about the contradictory information certainly rings true. Even online, you can find information to support any opinion. I like your motive for reading the book! Nice job.
Exactly! there's so much information and products that we feel so confused and it makes us uncertain of what to believe, what to buy, what method to apply. Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

This book provides very interesting interesting information about health issues. Thanks for your great review. I have also reviewed this book. You can check out my review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:

Sarah Tariq wrote: 17 Feb 2018, 00:31 This book provides very interesting interesting information about health issues. Thanks for your great review. I have also reviewed this book. You can check out my review.
It certainly is interesting, especially for the people who are looking for health advices. The book discusses a wide range of topics, and it makes it easy to read and find the information you need. Thank you for replying. I'll definitely check out your review.
PaigeA
Currently Reading: brothers karamazov
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigea.html
Latest Review: Boom! A Revolting Situation by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by PaigeA »

Great review! I also enjoyed reading the book. I think if more people read it, we would definitely have a healthier population.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:

PaigeA wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 07:09 Great review! I also enjoyed reading the book. I think if more people read it, we would definitely have a healthier population.
Exactly! Reading this book would definitely give people some insight and real information about being healthy.
PaigeA
Currently Reading: brothers karamazov
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paigea.html
Latest Review: Boom! A Revolting Situation by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by PaigeA »

The BookWorm Nagham wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 04:39
PaigeA wrote: 05 Apr 2018, 07:09 Great review! I also enjoyed reading the book. I think if more people read it, we would definitely have a healthier population.
Exactly! Reading this book would definitely give people some insight and real information about being healthy.
Definitely! Something that is much needed these days.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”