Review by Cotwani -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Review by Cotwani -- The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Connie Otwani »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Michelle Cummings has authored 5 books in the team building field, but The Reel Sisters is her first novel. Michelle doesn’t leave you guessing the why of her novel’s title, as the opening line solves this mystery… ‘when it comes to the tools of the fly fisherman's trade, it all begins with a rod and a reel.’ Michelle wrote this book to encourage more women to go fly fishing. Set around Colorado, the novel revolves around a group of women friends, brought together by their love of fly fishing. It is of the other fiction genre.

How would you react if you had to fish a stark naked screaming woman out of the raging waters of a river during a fishing expedition? This is the scenario Rose, Sophie, Amanda and Veronica encountered during their fly fishing weekend retreat on the just unfrozen waters of the Arkansas River in Salida, Colorado. As they tried to warm the ‘fished’ Melody up and wrap their minds around how she ended up naked in the river, they noticed that Rose had fallen into a trance-like shock. What was that all about? Thus started the five friends’ exciting journey of bonding and self-improvement in their fly fishing, as well as their individual lives. The book has us walk with these women as they help each other confront their fears, face their challenges and embrace their gifts. What happens when tragedy strikes?

In The Reel Sisters, the author cleverly infuses the technical details of fly fishing, with humorous happenings in both the individual and collective lives of the five women. This motivates the reader not to procrastinate reading the book till he/she is psychologically prepared, as is the case with many self-help books! Narrated in the first person, by each of the five women, the story is well written and easy to follow. It is interspersed with friendly banter between the women throughout the book. The characters though well developed at the beginning of the book, grow further from lives limited by fears from past tragedies to unencumbered dependable friends of different status in life.

The central theme is developing an outdoor sport, specifically, fly fishing for women. These women constantly reiterate how the sport is enjoyable and how mastering it helps them un-clutter their minds, de-stress and generally improve career-wise. Believe it or not, many leadership/motivational anecdotes e.g. your attitude determines your altitude, are directly linked to fly fishing!The book even ends with a list of fly fishing clubs for women both in the states and internationally. Bonding over an outdoor sport is a secondary theme.

I totally enjoyed learning about a sport I didn’t know before. Can you imagine when I first saw the term fly fishing, I thought it had something to do with flying? After learning all the intricacies of the sport like making the flies, knowing their names and season, making the line, casting to a specific spot, reading the water, changing the fly etc, I couldn’t help but agree with the women that normal fishing (called spin casting) isn’t that exciting because it just involves throwing a line out once and sitting and waiting for a bite! However, I stand corrected on this!

Even though I enjoyed learning the art of fly fishing, in many instances the details were so intense it became ‘geek-speak’ to me. This tended to slow me down, and I did not like it. I also noticed a number of grammatical errors and some missing words, which did not interfere with the flow of the story. One example is in Section 4 where Veronica asks Sophie, ‘Do you know what kind of diapers does Parker wear?’ For these reasons, I give the book a rating of 3 out of 4 Stars.

Other than that, the book was good. So, does that mean I will consider picking up fly fishing as my new hobby? Er.. well…er.. Let's see how things pan out!! But will I recommend this book to anyone? Yes, definitely! Do you enjoy bonding activities? Then this book is a must read as it will give you insights on making your bonding activities even more meaningful. To women out there, whether you are looking for a new sport, love fishing or think fishing is a sport for men, try reading this book - you may not know what you are missing out on as the sport seems really refreshing and has the added advantage of forging stronger social support networks.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cotwani's review? Post a comment saying so!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
AbbyGNelson
Currently Reading: Heir to the Empire
Bookshelf Size: 839
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbygnelson.html
Latest Review: Asa's Gift by Isaac Green

Post by AbbyGNelson »

I like your review and that you add your humor into it. I probably wouldn't pick up fly fishing either! It's a shame they couldn't make the fly fishing jargon more easy to read. Thanks for the review, I think you've done a great job!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks sooo much AbbyGNelson! At least the book isn't all jargon!!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Roggyrus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roggyrus.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Roggyrus »

Fly fishing, or rod fishing, for that matter, is not simply fishing, per se. It also provides time for meditation for the fisherman. As he watches the floater or the line to wait for some nibble, he could be lost in reverie, or recollection. He could still his senses and concentrate on the nibble that could come, and delight in catching a fish no matter how trifling its size is. The camaraderie and friendship obtained from the association with fellow fishers would be worth every effort. In the story, the sisterhood encountered a naked woman that they rescued from the water, and that put the sport to more noble purpose. Thanks for your interesting review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

From your response, it seems you enjoy fishing - good for you! Maybe you should give fly fishing a try!! However, you may not be able to meditate, because the book says there is so much you need to be doing such that there is not much waiting for the fish to bite. Thanks for reading my review and responding.
-Walt Disney
Bookybooky
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bookybooky »

Your review has piqued my interest. I must read this book!
Bookybooky

Post by Bookybooky »

I like this review. It makes me want to read the book!
Ally-Hancy
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters

Post by Ally-Hancy »

I really love this review and I have to read this piece
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Wow, that's really awesome book. After reading your lovely review, I want to read this wonderful book. So that I could get idea about this wonderful sport.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Bookybooky wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 00:27 Your review has piqued my interest. I must read this book!
I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for reading and responding.
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Bookybooky wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 00:33 I like this review. It makes me want to read the book!
Thanks Bookybooky, hope you also enjoy the book.
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Ally-Hancy wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 11:04 I really love this review and I have to read this piece
Thanks for your feedback Ally-Hancy! I see you are reading the book. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 08 Feb 2018, 11:46 Wow, that's really awesome book. After reading your lovely review, I want to read this wonderful book. So that I could get idea about this wonderful sport.
Thanks for stopping by Sarah Tariq, and for your feedback. I hope you enjoy the book.
-Walt Disney
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I really enjoy your term "geek-speak." I'm big into racing sailboats, which comes with a very intensive vocabulary that takes a lot of years to build up. I totally understand what it is like when folks who are passionate about their hobby get todeep when discussing it.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

CommMayo wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 15:06 I really enjoy your term "geek-speak." I'm big into racing sailboats, which comes with a very intensive vocabulary that takes a lot of years to build up. I totally understand what it is like when folks who are passionate about their hobby get todeep when discussing it.
I know, right? Makes one feel like he/she is on the outside, trying to get in!!
Thanks for your views.
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”