Review by OrlaCarty -- Guardian of Deceit

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Review by OrlaCarty -- Guardian of Deceit

Post by OrlaCarty »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Guardian of Deceit by William H. Cole is a fiction novel that introduces orphaned teenager Darwin as he moves into his professional footballer cousin’s mansion, detailing his new life there over the following years. The book is often described as ‘other’ fiction, and justly so, as it fails to fall neatly into a particular genre. Beginning with a distinctly YA premise, it progresses to a more adult realist work, with brief affairs in grittier crime and seductive mystery. Darwin’s life explores numerous themes, such as drug abuse, sexuality, jealousy, domestic abuse, social standing, and consent.

The novel begins with a teenage Darwin being taken aback, as an old woman demands his window seat (successfully) on a plane. On his way to live with his new – famous – guardian Luther, he is both apprehensive and hopeful. On arrival he meets the mansion staff; housekeeper Mrs Thomas, driver Lazlo, and his grandmother (who is simply referred to as Granny). Unfortunately, it is here that Darwin’s character first becomes questionable. More concerned with his inheritance than his blood-relations, he worries constantly about how he will cope without money. Luther decides that Darwin should “work” for his money – a fact that infuriates the latter. The difficulty with Darwin’s character is that, as a regular middle-class citizen, it was difficult to form any kind of empathy for a boy who gets ten dollars for bringing a coffee up to his cousin’s bed, and then rags on the injustice of it.

Throughout the novel, Darwin’s character becomes more and more unlikeable. He grows into from an entitled teenager into a downright hypocrite who makes irrational assumptions about everyone he encounters. He chastises all other characters for their morality, but proceeds to adhere to very questionable ethics himself. The rest of the rather overcrowded cast does not make up for this disappointment, as the majority of male characters are abusive woman-haters, while the females are hysterical and fickle. The only character with any kind of pull is Darwin’s college-mate Dominique, and even she proceeds to lose this saving grace in the final moments of the book.

Despite the main thread of Darwin’s integration into Luther’s life, I felt that the novel has far too many plotlines to actually flesh any out to their full potential. The extensive web of stories failed to capture the attention that the unlikeable characters left available and did not serve to hide the sinister undertones of the book.

In fact, several moments are downright anti-feminist. I was actually outraged at particular scenes (something that rarely occurs, as I try to immerse myself in another’s viewpoint when reading), but ploughed on, hoping that it was all in the name of a great reveal of justice at the end. I hoped that the finish would enable the previous chapters to make sense. However, this simply did not happen. The book ended true to the rest of its content, with derogatory comments and a perverted view of women. Without spoiling content for those who have not read it, I can speak to those who have about the gym-girl, Sweeney, Betsy, Pearlstein, Coral and Helen. They are sexualised constantly, as well as characterised as irrational, foolish people, while Darwin is presented as some kind of moral compass despite his unfeeling, cold nature and inability to feel any real love.

I cannot rate this book more than 1 out of 4 stars due to this. Throughout I wanted to be able to give it a 2. I ignored rambling run-on sentences, overlooked detestable Darwin, and pretended that characters weren’t blatantly changing between paragraphs (Mrs Thomas is “carved out of stone”, even as she argues caringly for Darwin’s good). But I cannot recommend content that treats women in such a bleak fashion. The book had potential, but it is tossed aside for cheap gags and resolutions. I really hope that it was not intended to be so downbeat in regards to femininity, and that others agree with the patterns I saw.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like OrlaCarty's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Interesting comments on this book. Your description of Darwin and the way women are treated in the story are very unique. Thanks for writing an honest review.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

From majority of male characters being abusive woman-haters, females being hysterical and fickle, too many plotlines, to outrage at particular scenes , you must have had an uphill task reading this book. Thanks for the review
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Indeed: But I wish most of the story's description was left to the imagination.
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”