Review by Star88 -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Star88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-star88.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Review by Star88 -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Star88 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Superhighway by Alex Fayman is a modern-day, science-fiction thriller. From the summary description, I expected the book to be an interesting read. From the first page, I knew that this would be a book would not let my attention stray. From the first chapter, I knew that the book would hold me hostage for the rest of the day. Superhighway jumped right into the action, where the protagonist arrives home starved, injured, and running away from a problem or pursuit who remains unidentified until the last few pages of the book. The second chapter then starts from the past, and the story leads us to the events that caused our protagonist to be in the harrowing situation that he is in.

I would compare Alex Fine, the protagonist, to a superhero, and consider this first book to be his origin story. I noted several parallels between his story and Batman. However, in no way is Superhighway a wannabe shadow to Batman. Superhighway goes in an entirely unique direction. Where Batman may have stopped short of committing crimes, Alex runs by a darker code of ethics. We learn that Alex Fine grew up in an orphanage with no knowledge of his parents. He first discovers his powers during his first exposure to a computer newly installed at his orphanage. At first, Alex is hyped-up off his new power of manipulating the internet to his will and using it to travel to places in seconds. As time passes, Alex sees that his actions have consequences. We see him grow as a person. By the end of this book, Alex has not fully matured, but is no longer the wide-eyed, naive teenager. I believe his journey as a person continues into the second book and will not be complete until the third book.

Even though Alex’s journey is not complete, the character development in this book was strong. I always have had a soft spot for the underdog. I felt deeply connected with the character. I found myself cheering for him during his victories, sad during his losses, and relief at his close shaves. His struggle to differentiate right from wrong in a corrupt world was fascinating. But the protagonist wasn’t the only one I appreciated.

Although the other characters were not as developed, they certainly struck a chord with me. Many of the characters reflected the good and bad facets of society and government internationally. Fayman addresses controversial issues like gay marriage, corruption, terrorism, parental roles, and human rights. The answers to these issues are not always black and white, and sometimes the path our protagonist takes causes more harm than good. These consequences and problem added a harsh touch of reality in a story with impossible things.

I searched for anything I had a problem with in this book, but I couldn’t find anything. The action had me surprised and at the edge in every chapter. On top of that, Fayman managed to humanize an individual with god-like powers with superb character development. For these reasons, there is no way I can give this book less than 4 out of 4 stars. To those who enjoy suspense and superhero novels, I would urge them to give this trilogy a try. Lastly, as a heads-up to those who are sensitive, there are some semi-explicit love scenes, but as they are minimal and short.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Star88's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Thank you for your review! I've read the book myself and I think your review touches on many of the interesting things about the book. I particularly liked the fact that you compared Alex with Batman and noticed its oscillation between a superhero and an antihero as his ethical code wavers at times.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Star88
Currently Reading:

Post by Star88 »

Thank you for your comment! Yes, I thought those key characteristics were most important in making this book a thriller. The protagonist had superpowers and was able to excel in areas where others may have not immediately done so. However, he did not always make the right choices about exercising his powers.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I didn't know if I liked this book, but now that I've read your review I am sure I will enjoy this book as much as you did. Very nice work!
Star88
Currently Reading:

Post by Star88 »

It does have a major superhero vibe. If you like those kind if books, I definitely would recommend this book for you.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

I liked your review about this science fiction book which gives insights from a different perspective and hope you enjoyed this thrilling story.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”