Review by hmount2013 -- Guardian of Deceit

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
hmount2013
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hmount2013.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

Review by hmount2013 -- Guardian of Deceit

Post by hmount2013 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have recently read Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles, a story about a young man named Darwin that must go live with his cousin Luther, a famous football player, after his aunt is forced to go into an assisted living home. At the beginning of this book we find Darwin desperately attempting to follow in his deceased father’s footsteps and become a doctor that genuinely cares about helping to increase the longevity of his patients.

Despite seemingly insurmountable obstacles, a majority of which are caused by his cousin, to further his education he manages to graduate from college and takes an unexpected turn in his views on becoming a doctor. One thing that truly impressed me regarding this book was the way the author was able to increasingly complicate and even add completely new plots throughout the story without managing to make it so complicated that it became difficult to follow what was supposed to be happening at any given moment.

Through trials of love, heartbreak, and an uncaring cousin as his guardian Darwin succeeds and manages to follow his dreams even if they aren’t quite the same as they were when we began this journey. I admired the persistence shown by our protagonist in pursuing his dreams despite the obstacles that were placed in his way. Although the book was well-written I had two major complaints about Guardian of Deceit. The first complaint revolves around the wording, which on a few separate occasions sounded stilted and awkward. The other major complaint was when Darwin was to be married to another character in the book the storyline went from occasionally seeing each other to them suddenly engaged with no smooth transition to make it feel like a plausible plot-point.

I would give this book a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. This rating was given primarily because I felt it was an extremely worthwhile and interesting read that weaved a web of intrigue that held me captivated from the beginning to the end. Although it was an enjoyable read I took a star from the rating because I felt that the previously mentioned stilted language in parts and the awkward transition of plots was detrimental to the complete enjoyment of Guardian of Deceit.

This book would be strongly recommended for readers looking to embroil themselves in a mystery that involves a possible murder, adultery, and romance. On the other hand, if you are looking for an action-packed adventure you should probably look elsewhere. I would strongly recommend this book to other readers looking to solve a good mystery.

Guardian of Deceit
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like hmount2013's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree with your description of Darwin. He went through many trials but was still able to keep his focus. Great job.
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 772
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

Bravo! You, the volunteer reviewer was able to report and post an awesome review without spoiling the story, which yet, peaks my curiosity to read beyond the sample pages of "Guardian of Deceit". Thank you!
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”