Review by Bluecobia -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Review by Bluecobia -- Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Bluecobia »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Superhighway is 248 pages of action, adventure, romance, and science fiction. This is the story of the life of Alexander Fine. The author lets us know that this is book one of a trilogy. This book gives a lot of history that is needed in future volumes. Alex goes through a lot of growth and development as a person within this book. Along with laying this groundwork, the author does a good job of writing a book that can stand by itself.

Alex is a boy who grows up in an orphanage. He sees life as tough for most people. He was rejected for adoption twice and becomes very solitary. He realizes that his ticket to a good future is probably through education. Therefore, he works hard to do well in school. As a teenager, Alex becomes fascinated with computers. He doesn’t have a lot of access to them at first. Then the orphanage gets some computers of their own and his world changes forever.

Shortly after setting up the new computers, Alex is sitting alone, looking at pictures of sports cars, when the computer screen goes blank. He tries to get the computer started several ways, finally trying to unplug and reconnect the network cable. Suddenly, he is sucked into the cable and transported through the Internet to a beach resort. It is the resort where the picture of the car was taken. Alex soon learns that he can travel the world through the Internet. He can also download data stored on computers connected to the Internet and even change the information stored in those files. Alex does some good deeds and gets into some big trouble as a result of his travels and interactions.

This story is really all about Alex. Other people come into his life for a while and then the story passes beyond them. Most of the other people in the book help Alex learn more about himself and the world around him. The other characters are decently developed for the time they are in the story. The short-term nature of many of these contacts may be related to the fact that Alex has been a loner most of his life. During this first book of the trilogy, Alex is doing a lot of learning and growing.

I really liked the basic premise that Alex can physically travel and interact inside the Internet. I feel that taking one or two basic changes and looking at how they would affect the world is a classic way of creating science fiction. Taking these changes and building a world and a story based on them is, to me, a beautiful thing. It also leaves room for traditional action, adventure, and romance. There are a few sex scenes but they are relatively tame and are typical of coming of age situations. There are one or two violent parts but they pass quickly and are important to the storyline. These did not detract from my enjoyment of this book.

Overall I found the book thoroughly enjoyable and rate it 4 out of 4. I found no editorial errors. I would believe that it was professionally edited. I gave this book a 4 because it is interesting, well written, and made me want to read the next book. I would recommend this book to people who enjoy science fiction. I would also recommend it to those who enjoy action, adventure, and romance in their reading.

Superhighway
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bluecobia's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I liked the premise of this one, but it wasn't my cup of tea overall. Still, I know many people enjoyed it, and I'm glad that you were one of them! Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I love an "underdog triumphs" story, so I liked that Alex got his sweet revenge. But I do hope he'll graduate to be a really fine man as the rest of the series unfolds.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Bluecobia!
Bluecobia

Post by Bluecobia »

Miriam Molina wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 16:53 I love an "underdog triumphs" story, so I liked that Alex got his sweet revenge. But I do hope he'll graduate to be a really fine man as the rest of the series unfolds.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Bluecobia!
I agree with you. I think Alex has a good chance. He seems to be trying to do the right things even if he has a lot to learn.
NWANKWO UGOCHUKWU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by NWANKWO UGOCHUKWU »

I agree with you. I think Alex has a good
chance. He seems to be trying to do the
right things even if he has a lot to learn. like the story
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Congrats on a great review! I also enjoyed the book and rated it 4 stars!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I share your opinion that this is a fairly well-written coming of age novel with a blending of adventure, romance and sci-fi. Thank you for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Penny Lee
Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-lee.html
Latest Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds by Michelle Path
fav_author_id: 8463

Post by Penny Lee »

Superhighway sounds intriguing! The ability to travel through the internet (bypassing security and passwords) is a unique plot! Your review makes me want to read the book, particularly your comment that Alex can travel the world through the Internet. Initially, I thought from the summary that he could simply view other places, but it is far more fascinating to learn that he can actually visit them!
Littera scripta manet -- the written word remains.
Bluecobia

Post by Bluecobia »

Yes the aspect of physical travel over the Internet is different.
Honeybeetle
Currently Reading: Snow Crash
Bookshelf Size: 318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeybeetle.html
Latest Review: Loving Well, The Key To Satisfying and Joyful Relationships by Erin K Leonard (Dr Erin Leonard)

Post by Honeybeetle »

Great review! I appreciate seeing the perspective of someone who enjoyed the book, since it wasn't really to my liking. You explain yourself well, and I agree that the book does seem to have been professionally edited. I wish more independent authors would take that step, since I really turns out a more professional book in the end. I liked not having to stop every few minutes to note an error.
Holler about books on Twitter with me @DextroColeo! :techie-studyinggray:
Bluecobia

Post by Bluecobia »

Yes, bad editing can be distracting. I wonder how much it costs to have a book professionally edited?

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”