Review by mcsob16 -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
mcsob16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mcsob16.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Review by mcsob16 -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by mcsob16 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret portrayed the experiences of Bob White from one phase of his life to the other. Bob White, a young boy from a small town was on the path of defining his life based on traditions and customs. He would have most probably been in that state for life, but for the unexpected life teachers (called gurus in the book) he came across. An important turn in his life started when met a guru who gave him something to live up to – rising to become a college student.

His stride to breaking free from the norms of his town did not come without resistance, but his determination and the lessons from his gurus kept him going. He graduated from college and became a big city school teacher. Wanting to find self-satisfaction, he left the secured teaching job for the business world as real estate entrepreneur. His success in life can be attributed to the actions he took from the lessons he learnt from his gurus.

He came across Margaret, his favourite guru who helped him see life with a different perception. He realised the importance of the existence of other people. He freed himself from the shackles of self-centeredness to the freedom of generosity through this lesson. His gurus altogether made him realise the errors of life mythology he had believed and to embrace new reality about life.

I love the most the principles the book illustrates which can be applied in daily life, and I’ve even started to use some of them. The book is enriched with many quotes that are capable of making one to take actions in difficult life issues. Those quotes are not just quotes - they are backed up by many life experiences. I enjoyed how Rob White also served as a guru to some people he came across with.

I am urged by the reading of this book that real success comes from looking inwardly, and not due to happening in the outside world. I understood the importance of rising after falling in life situations. I comprehended the reason for thinking positively and the essence of being honest with oneself.

The writing style is instructive. The author did a good job by ensuring that professional term and foreign words were well explained. The summary of each chapter main lesson is written at the end of each chapter, making it easier to be written down in a note and reflected upon. Though the book touches many areas of human life, it fails to tell what influence Bob White’s choice of life partner.

I noticed a very limited number of typos but they weren’t disturbing. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The lessons I learnt are invaluable and some of them can be applied immediately. This book will do a lot of good to the youth especially those still indefinite in their career choices. It would be of good use for every other age group as its lessons are life lessons.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like mcsob16's review? Post a comment saying so!
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

mcsob16 wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 11:31
The writing style is instructive. The author did a good job by ensuring that professional term and foreign words were well explained. The summary of each chapter main lesson is written at the end of each chapter, making it easier to be written down in a note and reflected upon. Though the book touches many areas of human life, it fails to tell what influence Bob White’s choice of life partner.

I noticed a very limited number of typos but they weren’t disturbing. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The lessons I learnt are invaluable and some of them can be applied immediately. This book will do a lot of good to the youth especially those still indefinite in their career choices. It would be of good use for every other age group as its lessons are life lessons.
I really enjoyed reading your review. I also really liked the writing style and the organization of the book. I also noticed the author did not mention his wife except for a few times. I wondered about that as well. I didn't like the book quite as much as you did, as I felt Rob wasn't able to fully integrate many of his own lessons. I did appreciate many aspects of the book though. Please check out my review as well. onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html. Thank you!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree with your point that much depends on our attitude. Without the right attitude, we might encounter a guru and not even realize it! Thanks for your review.
Tuzzy
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Tuzzy »

You gave a very good and detailed review of the book "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White. I thought I would love to read to read this book and after reading your review it just confirmed it. Good job.
chioma-78
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by chioma-78 »

The writing style is instructive.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”