Review by Rollison_d1 -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rollison_d1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rollison-d1.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Review by Rollison_d1 -- Puffy and the Formidable Foe

Post by Rollison_d1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you are looking for a fun way to read with your child, try Puffy and Formidible Foe written by Marie G Lepkowski. It is illustrated by Ann M. Hannon and Margaret B. Hannon.

Without giving too much away, this story is about a kitten who gets into some trouble because he did not stick close to home. It is a short and simple story, easy for kids to follow and has great interaction. It teaches kids the dangers of wandering away from their parents without using a scare tactic.

My daughter was able to recite the story back to me in her own words after the first read which tells me that this story caught her interest immediately. I do believe the rhyming helps with this. She was able to point out the rhyming words and even tell me the lesson that was learned. Her favorite part was the cat in the bathtub. She said it was funny and easy to read.

This book is adorable. I love the fact that the book gets your kid involved. It provides review questions for your children which not only makes it fun for them but I feel it prepares them for how to answer book review questions when they're at school age.

The illustrations are set up as coloring book style pages which is great because it keeps it simple to look at and easy to understand. It even has a coloring book page for your child the color.

I do think that for a children's book, the title is a little much. I did have to explain what formidable meant. I tested this on several children, not all were mine and only one knew what it meant. He is a teenager. For this reason, I give this book a 3 out of 4 rating. However, it is a good teaching experience. I was able to explain to my daughter what the word meant and she has in turn explained it to her sister.

Puffy and the Formidible Foe is a good read! All in all, I will definitely recommend this book to anyone with children under nine years old. It is fun, it is simple and it is educational. It is also perfect for a great bedtime story because it is a quick story that will leave your children with a smile on their faces.

I look forward to more books like this in the future.

Puffy and the Formidable Foe
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rollison_d1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Indeed a good thing that you read the book together with your daughter. This means that you were able to make an informed review of the book.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”