Review by Cotwani -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Review by Cotwani -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Connie Otwani »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Twisted Threads, a Crime/Mystery/Thriller/Horror genre novel, is book 4 of the Thread series by Kaylin McFarren. It comes after Severed Threads, Buried Threads, and Banished Threads. In Twisted Threads, McFarren promises her readers a really twisted plot compared to traditional modern literature, and for sure this vengeance story does not disappoint in this regard! Though the main character belongs to Zakura-Kal, a ruthless gang based in Kyoto Japan, the story unfolds aboard the cruise ship, Merry Mermaid. The plot starts to twist and untwist when Akira and her partner from Zakura-Kal board the ship in its final ten days of the Caribbean cruise.

The protagonist, Akira, is one of the most lethal assassins in the Zakura-Kal organization and is tasked with identifying and killing the culprit who murdered her boss Mitsul's sister, from a very short suspect list - a married couple. Having only ten days to achieve this, a speedy conclusion is paramount. Her strategy is simple, seduce the nephew (Devon), who is traveling with the target couple, in order to trick the truth out of him. A piece of cake, right? What follows then is a roller coaster plot aboard the cruise ship, complete with a sizzling romance, budding friendships, enticing games, and interesting excursions in exotic stopovers like the Bahamas, Jamaica, and Hell! Throw in some sudden disappearances of people, pressure for Akira to complete her task, and an unforeseen threat targeting a clueless Akira – and you have a reading experience with no dull moment!!

Twisted threads' drama, adventure, fantasy and the promised twists had me completely hooked. The central theme was integrity and eliminating debased villains (who lacked integrity at some point in the past). I know it seems twisted to apply integrity as a virtue to an assassin, but seeing the measures Akira takes to ensure only the truly guilty is murdered, and the reasons advanced by various parties to justify their targeted elimination of some people in the course of the story, one can't help conclude this! This is a tale of a young girl who circumstances threw into a questionable lifestyle, forcing her to do what she had to do. Like she once commented, in her life, you either kill or have to be killed. All the same, she now wants out of this lifestyle so she can be normal and happy. Is this possible, or is she permanently branded by her former life? She constantly struggles with this dilemma.

The plot has many subplots or threads intertwined within it, the majority of which help to nicely tie up the main storyline. The story unfolds through alternating points of view between Akira and Devon, making the reader privy to each person's perspective, thus at par with their reasoning. The narration is easy to read and follow. The characters are so well developed, one can almost visualize them. Though the book is the fourth in a series, it appears to be standalone. I have not read any of the other books, but I was never at any point left hanging as I read this one. I quite enjoyed the drama and suspense, particularly towards the end of the book. The book was so well edited I didn't notice a single typo or grammatical error. For these reasons, I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars.

Nevertheless, I did not like the numerous explicitly erotic sexual scenes, which I learned to skim over. In addition, some of the subplots left me a bit confused. For example, why was Mutsul stepping down when he wasn’t indisposed, and why did he not more firmly dictate his successor, as befitting the head of a ruthless gang? From the final revelations, are Akira and Devon relatives? Finally, the timeline towards the end of the book got muddled up for me.

In conclusion, I enjoyed reading this book and recommend it to anyone who likes drama, suspense and unraveling mysteries. It is almost impossible to guess the killer! Be prepared for plenty of murders, although many are not graphic. The book is also great for book clubs because it presents many angles that can be discussed in such a forum.

Twisted Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cotwani's review? Post a comment saying so!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Joy2thenations
Currently Reading: A Ton of Gold
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy2thenations.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Joy2thenations »

Sounds like this would be my kind of book if it weren’t for the explicit sexual scenes! I enjoy plot twists that keep you guessing! Thanks for your review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Joy2thenations wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 00:32 Sounds like this would be my kind of book if it weren’t for the explicit sexual scenes! I enjoy plot twists that keep you guessing! Thanks for your review!
Yes it is a good read. I got around the sexual scenes by skimming over some and skipping others. It worked!!

Thanks for reading my review and replying.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The book seems to be intriguing. Not my cup of tea, but your review is great. Thanks.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 09:14 The book seems to be intriguing. Not my cup of tea, but your review is great. Thanks.
It was enjoyable! Thanks for your response.
-Walt Disney
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do enjoy stories where it's not easy to guess the killer. Then you have the joy of trying to figure out who it is. Like you said, it would be good for a book club to puzzle out as well! Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I am reading this novel and it's worth your time. Your review depicts the same.
Admirable review!!
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

kandscreeley wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 08:45 I do enjoy stories where it's not easy to guess the killer. Then you have the joy of trying to figure out who it is. Like you said, it would be good for a book club to puzzle out as well! Thanks for the review.
I know, right? It is exciting when you become a detective yourself, collecting your own clues, then second-guessing the person you think is the culprit!!

Thanks for your comments.
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Darakhshan Nazir wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 01:27 I am reading this novel and it's worth your time. Your review depicts the same.
Admirable review!!
Thanks for your comments Darakhshan. I am glad you are enjoying the book.
-Walt Disney
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren has an interesting storyline and setting. Generally, I am attracted to representations of other cultures. it's appealing that the narrative details the socio-cultual aspect of Japan through the character of the female assassin, Akira Sato.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

KlareAllison wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 11:56 Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren has an interesting storyline and setting. Generally, I am attracted to representations of other cultures. it's appealing that the narrative details the socio-cultual aspect of Japan through the character of the female assassin, Akira Sato.
Yes, there were glimpses into the Japanese cultural heritage - geishas etc, which was actually interesting.

Thanks for your views.
-Walt Disney
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

What a riveting review! The author's certainly made a name for herself and I'm itching to discover what lurks in this book. I love the fact that the story has lots of threads or subplots which are tied up nicely at the end. Looking forward to this one. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Great, I hope you enjoy it too! Thanks for your comments.
-Walt Disney
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Sounds really "twisty." :) It's certainly interesting. Your enjoyment of the book is reflected in the enthusiasm of your review. Thanks for the information.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Yes, I enjoyed the book, I hope you get to read it.Thanks for your reply.
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”