Review by KamalK -- Veterans Day by J. J. Jorgens

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
KamalK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kamalk.html
Latest Review: It's Just Business... the Romancing of Ahjumma by Wanda Voy

Review by KamalK -- Veterans Day by J. J. Jorgens

Post by KamalK » 17 Jan 2018, 08:53

[Following is a volunteer review of "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is the night of Halloween. Mary Jane Morris is ready, dressed as a skeleton, to celebrate it like everyone else. Suddenly, she gets a call from her ex-partner, Davy, who seems scared about something. Before Mary can ask him anything, he hangs up. Realizing that he could be in serious trouble, Mary rushes to his place, almost killing herself in the process. However, when she reaches at Davy’s place, it is too late.

At first, it looks like he had committed suicide. But Mary’s gut says something else. She, determinedly, pursues the leads, to find out the murderer. What she doesn’t realize is that she is getting deeper than she signed up for. This case is more complicated than she had thought, and she finds herself in the middle of a conspiracy carried out by the top politicians in Washington DC.

Veteran’s Day is a murder mystery with politics and conspiracy thrown in the mix. It is narrated by Mary Jane Morris in first person. The writing style is one of the strong suits of this novel. Though the theme of the novel seemed somewhat dark, the writing style was witty and sarcastic in its approach. Mainly, it was because we were seeing things from the point of view of Mary, and her character was light and funny, as well as strong and obstinate.

At first, the story seems like any other murder mystery. Soon, as the number of characters grow, it turns out to have more layers than the reader initially imagined. The political situation and the stance of politicians in various situations has been cleverly handled by the writer. I found them similar to the politicians we see in our daily life. Pleasant and cordial on the outside, and full of malice and greed inside.

The characterization of every single person in the novel was very realistic. They were not made out to be too heroic. Even Mary Jane Morris, whom I expected to be heroic under all circumstances, wasn’t so. She calculated her every move, and even though she took some risks, that was because she didn’t have any other choice.

This book if for everyone who likes to read a good, old crime thriller. There is everything ranging from action, espionage, and a little bit of history to a sprinkle of romance. I was completely immersed and the book, and impatiently waited to find out Mary’s next move.

I rate Veteran’s Day 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed reading this book. It was fast paced and there wasn’t anything irrelevant. Every sub-plot and character had a reason, and together they moved the story forward. I couldn’t find anything that would hold me back from giving a full rating to this book. I didn’t see any grammatical errors. Even if I missed any minor ones, it is because the story had all my attention and I must have subconsciously jumped over them.

Veterans Day
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KamalK's review? Post a comment saying so!

ReviewerDiksha
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 80
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 33
Currently Reading: Keepers of the Kaalchakra
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: "The Spy, the Renegade, the Rogue" by Robert de Casares

Post by ReviewerDiksha » 18 Jan 2018, 10:20

I enjoyed reading your review and agree with a lot of things. I gave a lesser rating to the book, though. I had found some grammatical errors, not too major, though. Good job with the review.

Rosemary Okoko
2017 Reading Goal: 6
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 233
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: His Special Little Girl - Incest in a Christian Home by Jody Lynn Rutherford

Post by Rosemary Okoko » 19 Jan 2018, 00:25

This is a good review and i like the fact that the errors in the book can be overlooked while reading. The storyline sounds intriguing and makes me want to know more about this murder.

kdstrack
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading: The Camel Club
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by kdstrack » 19 Jan 2018, 09:30

Very good review. Your descriptions of the many layers of the story and of the characters really highlight the format of the book. You also make the book sound appealing by noting that it is fast paced and holds interest all the way to the end. Nice job. Thanks.

CommMayo
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2017 Reading Goal: 6
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 30
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 183
Currently Reading: Warren's Finest
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Outdoor Adventures by eliot
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo » 19 Jan 2018, 16:38

Great review. I'm glad you enjoyed this book so much. I like your summary of our current politicians: Pleasant and cordial on the outside, and full of malice and greed inside.

inaramid
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2017 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 22
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading: A wrinkle in time
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. by William H. Coles

Post by inaramid » 26 Jan 2018, 03:04

It's always nice to see another perspective on a book. I've reviewed this book too, but I actually arrived at a different opinion of it. I didn't enjoy it, but it's good that you did.

ShivaniS
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ShivaniS » 06 Feb 2018, 02:54

I have read a lot of good reviews of this book. You seemed to have enjoyed it a lot. My interest in this book has increased now, seeing how everyone is liking it. I look forward to reading it.

NeerajS

Post by NeerajS » 06 Feb 2018, 02:57

Who doesnt like a good mystery and Mary Jane Morris seems to bring something new to the table. Thank you for the honest review.

PratibhaG

Post by PratibhaG » 06 Feb 2018, 02:59

I like reading murder mysteries and a political comspiracy looks like a cherry on top. Thank you for the review. I am glad you liked the book.

RKS

Post by RKS » 06 Feb 2018, 03:00

There seem to be a lot of elements to this story. The writer seems to have done a good job with it. The books has received all praises. Must be a good one.

KamalK
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kamalk.html
Latest Review: It's Just Business... the Romancing of Ahjumma by Wanda Voy

Post by KamalK » 06 Feb 2018, 03:12

Thank you for the kind words everyone. I am sure you'll enjoy this book as much as I did.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Directive - Book Seven of the Magi Charter by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley » 06 Feb 2018, 08:50

I love realistic characters and crime thrillers, so this might be a book I have to look at. Sounds like a very interesting story, and I appreciate all the information you've given us. Thanks!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”