Review by aliceriddle -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
aliceriddle
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceriddle.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Review by aliceriddle -- Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by aliceriddle »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren is a twisted drama consisting of manipulative, mysterious characters, murder, mystery, sensual erotica and love. It tells the story of passengers on a cruise ships where deadly fear lurks, suspicious murders occur and the body count rises.

The main character, Akira Sato, is a Japanese geisha, who is forced to work as an assassin for the crime lord, Mitsui-san. In order to remain alive and unpunished by the lord, she has to board a Caribbean cruise ship and avenge the brutal death of Mitsui-san's sister by murdering a married British couple who supposedly killed her. Her life is turned upside down when she meets Devon Lyons. But there's a catch: Devon is the target's nephew. Unaware of the fact that his relatives are the targets of Akira, the couple fall head over heels with each other. At first, it may seem like nothing can go wrong in their love life, but the secrets slowly start rising to the surface. There's also another passenger on the ship whose identity is undisclosed, and has a murderous agenda, endangering Akira. There are many twists and turns in the story that will keep you on edge until the end of the book.

Many scenes are brought to life by the author's writing style: onboard festivities, formal parties, cruel battle scenes. Each scene is painted with its stimulating, bright colors which make the scene exquisite. Dialogue is very smart and character-specific. The use of Japanese during conversations adds originality to the book. Also, the plot is packed with action and will never leave you bored. It isn't predictable at all since the story takes many unexpected turns and we can't figure out who the real killer of Mitsui-san's sister is since all the passengers on the ship are suspicious.

The characters of the story change the tone of the story and take it to the next level. They make the writing a fun and lively read. Readers will definitely grow fond of these characters, as they notice their notable traits and uniqueness.The author did a great job at writing well-developed, complex characters who are very different from each other.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars, and I definitely recommend it to the readers who like books about a thriller and a mystery. It's definitely a captivating work that will never fail to entertain you. While reading the book, you may think of many questions: What did Akira do to the crime lord? Can Akira find true peace? As you progress through the chapters, the answers will become clearer.

Twisted Threads
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like aliceriddle's review? Post a comment saying so!
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

This is a really well-written review! I like that you leave the reader with the questions that will be running through their mind as they read the book. :)
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks for the thorough review. Indeed it is a very unpredictable book.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
KlareAllison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klareallison.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel

Post by KlareAllison »

Twisted drama, indeed! Kaylin McFarren novel has an interesting setting. I am attracted to reading representations of other cultures. I like that the book details the socio-cultual aspect of Japan through the character of Akira Sato.
"Sometimes I find myself sitting in one spot for hours, staring at nothing, feeling nothing, and most disturbingly, caring about nothing".

- Mahbod Seraji, Rooftops of Tehran
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E. Tavel
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

From your review it sounds like a complicated story with a lot going on. It's can be hard to keep review clear and on point with books like that. Good job, nicely written.
Sam Lauren
Favorite Author: Anne Rice
Currently Reading: The Dovekeepers
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-lauren.html
Latest Review: To love in vain by Pedro Merchant
fav_author_id: 2444

Post by Sam Lauren »

KlareAllison wrote: 23 Jan 2018, 11:47 Twisted drama, indeed! Kaylin McFarren novel has an interesting setting. I am attracted to reading representations of other cultures. I like that the book details the socio-cultual aspect of Japan through the character of Akira Sato.
I really liked this too! I especially like the level of respect they have. In the U.S. we tend to call it misogynist but I think it is done really well in Japanese culture.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”