Review by KasieMiehlke -- The Reel Sisters

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Review by KasieMiehlke -- The Reel Sisters

Post by KasieMiehlke »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Reel Sisters" by Michelle Cummings.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Being an avid fisher, I was instantly drawn to the title of this book. I was hoping it would capture the magic of fishing and that it did. The characters are so well developed in the beginning of the story, yet they grow as they face life’s ups and downs. The imagery was phenomenal and transported me into the story. I have not been this emotional when reading a book in a very long time. I could not put The Reel Sisters down.

Rose, Sophie, Amanda, and Veronica all gather at Rose’s cabin for a weekend full of friendship, stories, wine and fishing. While out fishing they are startled by a naked girl washing downstream towards them. As the weekend draws to an end they go back to their everyday lives, but would this strange weekend change their lives forever?

I wanted to become friends with these ladies from the very beginning . The author, Michelle Cummings, does a fantastic job at creating these characters. Rose is the down to earth grandma that always knows more than you think and is ready to give you a good dose of reality when needed. Sophie is the tomboy caretaker that puts everyone before herself. Veronica is the powerful alpha female. Amanda is the classic girl next door. These women, while already developed, must change throughout the book as they face the hardships of life. This book shows how sometimes you need a helping hand in life even if you don’t see it and sometimes it appears unexpectedly.

Cummings manages to capture the magic of fishing with The Reel Sisters. The depth of detail and imagery pulls you into the scenes unlike most stories I have read recently. The peacefulness and solitude washes over the reader. She manages to incorporate all the feelings you get while you are out fishing no matter where you are reading this book. I wanted to pick up and disappear to Rose’s cabin myself.

I give The Reel Sisters, by Michelle Cummings, 4 out of 4 stars. This book has excellent character growth and uses expert imagery. It shows how something so simple can be an unbreakable bond amongst friends. It is like Golden Girls meets Field and Stream. I laughed, I cried, and I grieved with the characters throughout the book. I have not been this emotionally involved in a book in quite some time. If you love the outdoors and relatable stories, I highly recommend this book. It will have you hooked from the very beginning.

The Reel Sisters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KasieMiehlke's review? Post a comment saying so!
yakubtaofeeq
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by yakubtaofeeq »

Nice review.... He is such a good writer. Nice summary and wonderful comments...
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I like how it seems that all characters are thought through and they sound realistic, even though finding girl in the stream not so much. Of course, anything can happen and I haven't read it yet. Thank you for the review.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Nice review! I also read this book and, like you, wished I could be friends with the characters. I loved your description of Golden Girls meets Field and Stream!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Lili-pad
Currently Reading: Islands games
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Lili-pad »

Your review is rather refreshing compared to the others, that I have read. It may have to do with your knowledge of fishing and as such, you captivated the true essence of Cummings'prose. Likewise you have motivated me to give the 'The Reel Sisters ' a try.
Stapes
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stapes.html
Latest Review: Bitter sweet cocaine by alan salmon
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Stapes »

Thank you for a beautiful and refreshing review. Your words truly makes one want to start reading this tale immediately.
Ezekielafog12
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Ezekielafog12 »

Your words truly makes one want to start reading this tale immediately,Wonderful review
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

Great review! I happen to disagree with you about this book, but I really enjoyed reading your thoughts. :)
Nelsy Mtsweni
Currently Reading: The Other Side of Him
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mtsnel006.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Nelsy Mtsweni »

I did not find the cover for the book to be attractive and inviting, so, I probably would not have chosen to read the book. Having read the review and the sample, I found the book to be nice, but I still will not read it entirely because it focuses on the flying fish sport, and since I am not much of a sporty person, I might not understand some of the things they talk about. But I do think one can learn a lot about these women's personal challenges. Thanks for an interesting review.
A day is not measured by the harvest that you collect, but by the seeds that you plant.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”