Review by starshipsaga -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Review by starshipsaga -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by starshipsaga »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Brace yourself for a world filled with the stuff of nightmares in Raven’s Peak, a dark paranormal tale that brings together the elements of horror and urban fantasy. The book opens on a prison cell where the reclusive Reverend Arthur Vangeest has voluntarily called home for the last five years, but his isolation is about to come to an end as his services as a demon hunter are required once again. A former apprentice of his named Abigail has gone missing, and Arthur winds up following her trail to an abandoned church in the mountains where he finds the young woman possessed by a demon. Sacrificing himself to save Abigail, Arthur willingly allows his soul to be banished to Hell.

Now, months later, Abigail has recovered enough to rejoin the fight against evil, but she has not forgotten how her mentor had saved her life. While on a demon slaying assignment in Arizona, she chances upon some information regarding Arthur’s whereabouts, and in the process also gains a new ally in the form of Haatim Arison, a recent graduate of Theology who has lost his faith. Together, the two of them embark on a cross-country journey full of danger and uncertainty, battling all kinds of demonic threats until their quest leads them to a final showdown in the secluded town called Raven’s Peak.

The highlight of this book for me was the atmosphere. I loved Lincoln Cole’s detailed world-building and his descriptions of the places featured in this story. From Reverend Arthur Vangeest’s jail cell to the flooded tunnels beneath an old mining town, the overall mood was steeped with a sense of foreboding and dread. In some of the book’s darker moments, when faced with tragedy or the macabre, I even found myself shuddering at the chilling imagery.

I also enjoyed the two main characters, Abigail and Haatim. The differences in their backgrounds resulted in a fascinating dynamic. One is an experienced demon hunter who has been exposed to the world of the supernatural ever since she was a little girl, while the other is a student of religion who has been kept in the dark about his family’s role in the war against demons his whole life. And yet, despite their disparate circumstances, Abigail and Haatim have more in common than they realize. Both are feeling lost and a little adrift, trying to find their own way. Having just lost his little sister to cancer, Haatim is angry and feeling betrayed by God, and Abigail is still trying to come to terms with what happened to her during her demonic possession, dealing with the trauma by going rogue. The two of them are reluctant to work with each other at first, but gradually their strained partnership gives way to a stronger bond of trust and cooperation.

However, the one criticism I would level at this novel is the story’s uneven pacing. There were some amazing action sequences in this book, but often, they came at the expense of opportunities to explore the characters on a deeper and more personal level. Haatim and Abigail’s emotional responses to their circumstances felt glossed over on numerous occasions, making the narrative feel rushed at some of the most pivotal moments. I also thought the ending wrapped up a little too easily and quickly, but otherwise the conclusion was well-written with room for future conflicts and adventures in the sequel.

Overall, I would rate Raven’s Peak 3 out of 4 stars. Some pacing issues notwithstanding, I thoroughly enjoyed this novel and thought it was a riveting read. If you like paranormal fiction with a heavy dose of horror and heart-pounding action, I highly recommend giving this book your attention.

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like starshipsaga's review? Post a comment saying so!
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

I definitely agree about the book's atmosphere - that cold, gray, dingy vibe was one of my favorite things about the novel. Awesome review!
starshipsaga

Post by starshipsaga »

BookishCreature wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 18:29 I definitely agree about the book's atmosphere - that cold, gray, dingy vibe was one of my favorite things about the novel. Awesome review!
Thank you! And I agree, the author has a talent with words. I was most impressed by his descriptions of the demonic locales, such as that creepy little church. The town of Raven's Peak was well described too, though it's forever put me off from camping or staying in rental cabins in the remote mountains, to be honest :wink:
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I started reading this novel but lost interest. Your review makes me think I should have given it more time.
Great review though!!
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

INteresting review. It seems to have a different take on the book. Thank you for writing this.
starshipsaga

Post by starshipsaga »

It really is quite amazing the range of reviews this book has gotten! I have a predilection for fantasy and paranormal so I ended up liking this one a lot. Thanks for checking out my thoughts!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Great review. I like how you describe the detailed world-building and descriptions in the book. You also mention that your have read many other books of this genre and find this book to be high quality and riveting. Nice job. Thanks.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”