Review by Sarah Tariq -- Randy Love...at your service

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Review by Sarah Tariq -- Randy Love...at your service

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Many people owing to their indecisiveness and lack of common sense become a laughing stock in the eyes of people. The story here also presents the dilemma of a teenager, Randy Love, who makes his own fun due to his insane and absurd habits. The whole story line revolves around his irrational attitude towards life.

Randy Love… at your service is classified as other-fiction book, by Shay Carter. Randy Love, a charming teenage boy, belongs to a sensible and hardworking family. But being the only black sheep, he is unable to maintain the prestige of his family. Randy is the youngest among siblings. His elder brother and sister pursue respectable careers. Randy’s mother had passed away, when he was a child. So he grew up under his father’s patronage. However, his father despite his all efforts couldn’t change the non-serious attitude of his son towards life. Always in the clouds, Randy’s absurdities are evident in every important decision of life whether it is about a career or finding a good life partner.

The book is split into twenty-five chapters. Apparently the story is interesting. The author creates fun through silly and funny nature of characters. While reading this book, you pass-through different sentiments, like at one place you feel happy due to the comedian attitude of Randy and his fellows; but on the other time you feel sick with the vulgar language used quite often. So an ambivalent feeling emerged in me after reading this book.

The author interestingly taunts the contemporary educational system. As John’s (Randy’s father) friend Michael says, “I have to say that university is a complete disaster these days. What a waste of time and money.” Though I don’t fully agree with the statement, however in some places’ situation is close to it. More to say, the story is mostly conversational using a mix of first and third person accounts. The good thing is this that the author has added the “Index of British Terminology and Slang” to help those who have little familiarity with British language tools.

Though the story is easy to read and smooth, there are various downsides of this book which lowers its rating. One problem, I encountered during reading was the non-availability of page number against each chapter in the Table of Contents. I had to move to and fro to find the right page of my reading. I would suggest the author to revise the editing of this book and apply page number in front of each chapter in the Table of Contents. Apart from this, the story often contains sensitive scenes and vulgar language. So I will not recommend it to those who bother such novels. The author has included numerous characters in form of Randy’s friends in this story, some of which are with little or no descriptive background. So it becomes difficult to remember so many characters.

The story contains many ethical lapses and is only a fun read. It contains many typos. I would have rated it 3 out of 4, had it been free from the above mentioned loopholes. But owing to all these faults I would rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. This book will have little attraction for serious and mature readers. Only the young adults who like the mix of fun, comedy, love and lighthearted conversation would admire it. So I would commend it to those young adults.

Randy Love...at your service
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sarah Tariq's review? Post a comment saying so!
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

Your review is quite comprehensive and enjoyable. Randy Love may be one fellow who is epicurean and/or hedonistic -- whose life revolves around personal pleasure. This lighthearted attitude towards life is okay for the young adults as long as they do not lose sight of the responsibilities that life entails as they mature. I also plunge into Hedonism at times when I feel lazy to do anything, but be happy. Thanks for the review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Thanks for the feedback.

📕📖📰📓📕
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Great review! Your comment about the main character's irrational attitude towards life describes Randy perfectly. I also enjoyed how you pointed out the opinion that university education seems to be useless. Those two comments seem to reflect each other. The attitudes of youth and the state of the education system are both in a sorry state. Great insights. Thanks.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I like that the author included the “Index of British Terminology and Slang.” As an American, there are so many British words I don't fully grasp the meaning of.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't think this is a book that I would enjoy, but I appreciated your review. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it. The page numbers would probably be annoying, but it isn't surprising especially in an ebook.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Randy Love...at your service seems to be a misnomer since Randy seems to be so self-absorbed. I sincerely hope that he does not represent the youth of today. If he does, God help us!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Miriam Molina wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 17:05 Randy Love...at your service seems to be a misnomer since Randy seems to be so self-absorbed. I sincerely hope that he does not represent the youth of today. If he does, God help us!
I hope too☺.

📕📖📰📓📕
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Thanks for a well rounded review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

Thanks for the review, I guess that this book will also help me but it seem that you don't like it. So sorry for that. Nice review.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

pinklover wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 05:05 Thanks for the review, I guess that this book will also help me but it seem that you don't like it. So sorry for that. Nice review.
Thanks pinklover for your valuable comments. I think you should try it to develop your own judgement.

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

kandscreeley wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 11:00 I don't think this is a book that I would enjoy, but I appreciated your review. I'm glad that you were able to enjoy it. The page numbers would probably be annoying, but it isn't surprising especially in an ebook.
Thanks for the feedback, kandscreeley.☺

📕📖📰📓📕
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

There's quite an art to doing an anti-hero that the reader doesn't get fed up with. Clearly, the author doesn't pull it off here. It sounds as if there wasn't enough to balance the men behaving badly. Yours is the second less than glowing review I've seen of this!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Thanks for the information you've provided here. I don't think I would be able to relate to the character--or feel any smidgen of empathy for him. From your summary, I already find him irritating.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

inaramid wrote: 25 Jan 2018, 11:45 Thanks for the information you've provided here. I don't think I would be able to relate to the character--or feel any smidgen of empathy for him. From your summary, I already find him irritating.
Yes, it is somewhat irritating, but you can not ignore the humorous aspect of this book. Thanks for the feedback.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”