Review by Nobert -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nobert
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nobert.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by Nobert -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by Nobert »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The bible is a holy book which most of us have had a privilege to own one and if not, we have heard of the various teachings and verses derived from this holly book. For most Christians this is a special tool that helps guide the day to day activities as it provides the guidance on how God wants us to live this earthly life and by following on his footsteps, Christians are promised a place on His right hand side. While most of us might have heard or read the teachings from this holly book our interpretation and understanding of this book still differs from one person to another. In his book Who Told You That You Are Naked, William Combs opens our mind in understanding on what happened between God and our first parents Adam and Eve and the birth of sin to the world and its consequences. If you are looking for answers concerning the understanding of sin and how to walk on the right path that God wants us to follow, then this book provides most of your answers if not all and will surely kick you off in a good start.

William takes us back then in his early life in their homestead in Alaska with his family, and as a small child William would have imaginations of things that did not exist due to what I can call the fear of darkness which is something normal to children as they grow up. These imaginations lead to William reviewing the Old Testament for more understanding about what really happened then. The Old Testament starts with the book of genesis where we first meet Adam in the garden of Eden leaving a lonely life, the Lord shows Adam all the greatest places He had prepared for him and tasks Adam with the responsibility of taking care of the creation and naming of all the birds and wild animals. God also warns Adam against eating or touching the fruits from the tree of knowledge. From Adam’s loneliness God gave him a helper who Adam named Woman. The woman was deceived by the serpent when she was alone in the middle of the garden to eat the fruit from the tree of knowledge as this will make them be like God, deceived the woman ate a fruit from the tree and took some to Adam, they both became ashamed of themselves and realized they were naked which called for the need to cover their body from each other. The Lord called out on Adam who was ashamed of himself and on realizing that they had eaten the fruit from the tree of knowledge, they were evicted from the garden of Eden and God spelled out the consequences of their disobedience. For Adam he was to sweat for his food, for the woman God increased her pain during child birth and created an enmity between her and the serpent and as for the serpent it was cursed to feed on dust and move on its belly and the greatest consequence of all was that Adam and his descendants would die.

According to the apostle Paul, Sin came into the world through Adam and through sin death. Through Adam’s disobedience every human has sinned in the eyes of the Lord as for one man’s sin all have sinned and that is why God sent His son Jesus Christ to die on the cross in order to deliver us from our sins and offer us a chance to inherit the kingdom of God, as for one man’s death all are delivered from sin. Seeking the kingdom of God and having faith in him just like Abraham and Noah’s act of faith was portrayed in their actions is what brings us close to God. Out of his love for humanity that He gave His only son to die for us so that we can walk in light with Him and have fellowship with one another. God has a definite plan for each one of us to be received by faith just as He had for Noah and Abram and God assists us in our walk with Him through three avenues, the bible, God’s voice and His peace. The bible illuminates our spiritual path by revealing an instruction or a person with whom we can identify. Christ’s peace remains in our hearts and minds guarding and protecting us from the worry and anxiety and he will restore His peace to us if we bring our requests to him through prayers.

Salvation and faith are among the themes declared in this book. For we have all sinned in the eyes of the Lord but the Lord is faithful for He sacrificed His only son so that we can be delivered from all our sins. By seeking salvation, we agree to follow through His footsteps for it is said seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. The book brings hope to those who might have gone astray to God’s will that there is still room for turning back to God and He is always ready to accept as back as long as we live by his ways and have faith in Him no matter the situation at hand. The book gives a clear understanding of sin as seen from God’s perspective and how it deprives us His blessings and the three types of death we experience as a result of going astray from His will, physical death, relational death and spiritual death. I love the way the author backs up his explanations with personal testimonies which offers a broad understanding of what God can do.

Nothing stood out in terms of spelling or grammatical errors to me and this made it easy for me to read the book. The title of the book is relevant with the flow of the themes and offered a better understanding of some of the questions I had concerning the birth of sin to the world. I recommend this book to all the readers and specifically to those who wish to seek salvation and walk in God’s way and those who might have lost hope in seeking salvation the book offers a good motivation as to why we should never give up or feel tired seeking the kingdom of God. I will rate this book 3 out of 4 stars and hope that through reading it a soul might be saved as we seek salvation.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Nobert's review? Post a comment saying so!
mandalee519
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalee519.html
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Reading Device: B00IOVUXL8

Post by mandalee519 »

I like how you discuss the usefulness of this book to its target audience. I don't believe that a reader can just pick up this book without prior knowledge of the book of Genesis, due the possibility of confusion that may occur when the author jumps from non-fiction to fiction. However, for those with this knowledge, it can be a very enjoyable read. Great review!
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Nobert
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nobert.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nobert »

I agree with you for one to enjoy this book they need to have prior knowledge of the book of Genesis and also some little understanding of the bible as a whole
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Very nice review. It is interesting how you tie Adam and Eve's sin together with God's answer to sin in Jesus. As you comment, that is what brings comfort to people who have gone astray. It shows how God solved our problem without our help. Now we can follow Him with grateful hearts. Thanks for your well thought out comments!
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

A person without the knowledge of the Bible would find it beneficial to read this book due to numerous Bible references. Thanks for your review.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

hello, this is my current book. I love this book. It encourages and teach to avoid on sinning. I agree on your points in this book. Nice review. Do check mine as well. thanks.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”