Review by bethnju -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bethnju
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03199">And Then I Met Margaret</a>
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethnju.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Review by bethnju -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by bethnju »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret – a non-fiction book written and compiled by Rob White. It is a collection of the author’s real life experiences. It’s a progression of the author’s life from childhood to adulthood.

The author vividly narrates his early life and the difficulties he had to go through to come out of the norm and traditions of the time. He goes against the unwritten rules and culture of the mill town whereby, every young man after graduating from high school had to work in one of the two mills that were in that town. Instead he began redirecting his life path from being a kid born in a mill town, destined to work in a local factory, to being a big-city schoolteacher. From there, he became a high successful real estate entrepreneur and restaurateur on both the East and West coasts of America. However, the author despite having all the successes and grand life, he lacked inner satisfaction. As he explains that, while his exterior world reflected material wealth, his interior world was spiritually bankrupt. This led him to go searching for gurus who could enrich his interior world as he was externally. The search led him far and wide where he met great men of wisdom (mentioned in the introduction of the book), who imparted to him great wisdom. But it’s the unexpected gurus he met later in his life, which includes Margaret that offered him inspiring insights that enabled him to evaluate himself and his potential.

His journey from the mill town boy, to a successful man, to a motivational speaker, to an author, and many more life experiences, captivates ones interest in reading chapter after chapter. Each chapter begins with a myth he believed and ends with the myth versus the reality he discovered, forming the body of the chapter. The author has a new story in each chapter which entwines to the main story of his life, making the book very interesting.

The author, who is well versed and widely read, has blended in this book great quotes from great authors, making the book more inspirational. Apart from enjoying the story of his life which is told in a humorous way, the reader will also be motivated and inspired while learning great life lessons.

This book is short with 196 pages. I however took time to read it since I had to sometimes pause and meditate on some insights. I came across only two typos. I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It’s a book that can be read by all ages. This is a book that can remain in one’s book shelf for a very long time. I could read it and read it once more.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bethnju's review? Post a comment saying so!
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

bethnju wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 08:25 His journey from the mill town boy, to a successful man, to a motivational speaker, to an author, and many more life experiences, captivates ones interest in reading chapter after chapter. Each chapter begins with a myth he believed and ends with the myth versus the reality he discovered, forming the body of the chapter. The author has a new story in each chapter which entwines to the main story of his life, making the book very interesting.
I enjoyed reading your review. I agree that the way the book was organized helped carry the stories forward. It was also a comfortable writing style for me. I didn't like the book quite as much as you did, but I appreciated many of the stories and teachings. I hope you will check out my review as well. onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eva-darrington.html. Thanks! Have a good day.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

Great review! I also really liked how well White blended self-help with memoir in this book.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I also found it interesting that apart from the gurus the author met in his life, he filled the book with quotes from other books and authors. Nice review.
bethnju
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03199">And Then I Met Margaret</a>
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bethnju.html

Post by bethnju »

Thanks all for reading my review and also leaving comments. I would agree with some of eva-darrington reviews. I agree about the title being misplaced. I had thought as I was reading that Rob would marry a lady called Margaret. :D
Kim Hamlin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Kim Hamlin »

Great review, I definitely want to read it now, thank you!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”