Review by Placid Distortion -- My Author Is Dead

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Placid Distortion
Favorite Author: Scott Westerfeld
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-placid-distortion.html
Latest Review: "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau
fav_author_id: 3521

Review by Placid Distortion -- My Author Is Dead

Post by Placid Distortion »

[Following is a volunteer review of "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

My Author Is Dead by Michel Bruneau would easily be worthy of a full rating points if story-telling were the only consideration. This book skillfully combines the art and process of literary fiction with an abundance of satire to cleverly disguise it within the dystopian genre.

From a first person perspective, Adam, the anti-hero protagonist opens with narrating a baffling presentation of a prologue and a chaotic courtroom scene that drops the reader smack-dab in the middle of everything. This sets the stage for making sense of Adam's world by seeing how little sense it seems to make on the surface, permitting a return to the beginning chain of events that led to the first chapter. The narration meanders through cleverly nerdy literary references that serve as world-building blocks of allusions. Bruneau delightfully uses the contrast of the absurd to illuminate the reality of age old philosophical and ideological quandaries. If the reader makes it far enough, a circle back to the opening is completed and the narration continues to see Adam through his trial and the humorous turns taken to resolve everything.

However, using satire and references to base an entire literary world on has its drawbacks, primarily in that it relies heavily on how well the reader will be able to keep up with or receive them. As such, the subject of religious ideology is a central theme among the things satirized, which some may find controversial or even offensive whether they get the jokes or not. I would still recommend it nonetheless though, or perhaps even more so, as challenging those ideas is more or less in line with one of the main points of the book. That said, I didn't agree with the conclusions implied through the plot resolution, but I didn't have to in order to appreciate the story as a whole and the journey narrated in the process.

On the subject of awareness, I will also note that there were a handful of errors that I caught mostly towards the end of the book; not enough to detract from enjoyment but enough to question the editing quality. I had been prepared to give the benefit of the doubt and speculate that though an editor may have been employed, perhaps they didn't make it to the end. Unfortunately, after some deliberation I have decided against this as it's more likely that if one has to ask, then either there was no editor or it was done poorly enough that it can't be regarded as having been done professionally.

Overall, I'm resigned to giving this book a 3 out of 4 stars rating here. As much as I'd like to give it a full 4, the questionable editing drags it down to a 3. Would still absolutely recommend to anyone as an entertaining read with a well thought premise and creative experience that many will likely find relatable.

My Author Is Dead
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Placid Distortion's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "My Author Is Dead" by Michel Bruneau
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

You did a great job of summarizing the structure based on literary quips and satire. As you say, one needs to know what's being satirized to appreciate it.
Spoiler:

I'm curious - did you think the ending meant the author was advocating anarchy and atheism?
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”