Review by Vice_jade1 -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vice_jade1
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vice-jade1.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Review by Vice_jade1 -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by Vice_jade1 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret
Author Rob White
Published by “Mind Adventure Press” in Boston, MA

“And Then I Met Margaret” is an autobiography based on the author and him experiencing situations and meeting a lot of different people and gurus through life. Unexpected people that teach you many lessons. No matter what age range or ethnicity. The people who make you stop and think. Overall learning from mistakes and taking the lessons at hand to change the person you are for the better.

The book itself, I couldn't stop reading it. This book is definitely good for people who are looking for the motivating words to get through life if you just need a restart and you're ready to change your ways. To look at life from a different point of view. The book is definitely entertaining, while still being able to learn something from the book. The actual experiences the author goes through were entertaining yet every chapter had a purpose where you could take some account into your own life.

The best parts of the book are where the author has the title of the book and has a quote about how he thought life was. Example being “If you must choose between indecision and perhaps making a wrong decision— it’s right to choose indecision.” Then he meets the person and at the end, he then can reflect on what has learned with a new change of mind. Which he would then put, “The very daring to decide and learn from one’s decisions—that’s always right.” I honestly was in the same boat with a plethora of similar experiences. I definitely agree that sometimes you get caught up in the emotions of life. Also if you love very inspirational quotes like: “ Do I dare to be myself? To be nobody but myself, in a world that does everything it can to make me like everyone else is the hardest battle any human can fight” -e.e Cummings. There are more for you.

A couple things about the book that aren't that interesting or that wouldn't catch the reader from the beginning would be the introduction. It is showing everything he did and every place he traveled. Maybe telling where you traveled and a few people you learned something from would be enough. The author jumps from I met a dozen other teachers then just keep telling who you met doesn't keep the same similar format.

The author could for instance for the introduction start it from where it talks about Margaret and the Masai. This helps with correlation with the name of the book also it’s more to the point. The epilogue wasn't really needed but if you’re looking for a quick motivational speech then it’s fine. Both of these things can honestly be overlooked if the reader doesn't read any of those parts. Almost no typos, very professionally written.

I would rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. The book was well written and entertaining while still having a purpose behind it if I saw anything wrong with it no one else would probably find it a problem. This book is definitely for anyone who needs some motivation and is trying to relate it to someone who bases it off real life experiences. Where you may find the same influential people in your own life. Definitely a book for young entrepreneurs to well-seasoned professionals looking for another path in their lives. Honestly, an overall good book that just when the book is ending you don't want it too.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Vice_jade1's review? Post a comment saying so!
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

Thanks for your review! The quote you mentioned about indecision also resonated with me. I also agree that the introduction dragged on and was one of my least favorite parts of the book.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for the review and your thoughts about it. I am just wondering, did you find yourself thinking at all that the author became a bit self-absorbed and perhaps thought about happiness, success and money a bit much?
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

Nice review, I enjoyed reading this book as well and it gives me different ideas. A sort of motivating a hopeless human being. I really love this book.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Vice_jade1

Post by Vice_jade1 »

lavellan wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 15:04 Thanks for your review! The quote you mentioned about indecision also resonated with me. I also agree that the introduction dragged on and was one of my least favorite parts of the book.
Thank you, yeah the introduction was exactly that! Also, that's exactly why I picked that one out of all the quotes. I definitely find myself coming between a lot of decisions and being indecisive about them.
Vice_jade1

Post by Vice_jade1 »

N_R wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 16:54 Thanks for the review and your thoughts about it. I am just wondering, did you find yourself thinking at all that the author became a bit self-absorbed and perhaps thought about happiness, success, and money a bit much?
Thank you! actually yes especially in the introduction he seemed definitely full of himself, I didn't find that throughout the book though. If you could tell me more about this that would be nice definitely haven't heard this perspective before.
Vice_jade1

Post by Vice_jade1 »

pinklover wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 21:30 Nice review, I enjoyed reading this book as well and it gives me different ideas. A sort of motivating a hopeless human being. I really love this book.
Thank you :) Definitely that, overall pretty good.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Vice_jade1 wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 16:12
N_R wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 16:54 Thanks for the review and your thoughts about it. I am just wondering, did you find yourself thinking at all that the author became a bit self-absorbed and perhaps thought about happiness, success, and money a bit much?
Thank you! actually yes especially in the introduction he seemed definitely full of himself, I didn't find that throughout the book though. If you could tell me more about this that would be nice definitely haven't heard this perspective before.
Oh ok, I just found that a lot of the stories of him as an adult focussed on his material success and he never really seemed to be on hard times. I think that there are many elements to the stories where people will lose the connection with him because his life is very different, and successful, to most.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

Plot seems appealing. And your review depicts it very well .
Moreover, I find title 'And Then I Met Margaret' quite attractive.
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your review. Interesting that you classify it as an autobiography. I agree. Your comment that many times the author seemed to focus on financial success is insightful. Nice job. Thanks.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”