Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Sigfried's Smelly...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Review by Sahani Nimandra -- Sigfried's Smelly...

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“Something stinks about this book, do you have any idea what it is?” it’s all about the content that smells; this is what the author, Len Foley has created in a colourful and very humorous book Sigfried's Smelly Socks! Not only it is a beloved children's book, it is also a comic book. The author has used pictures to capture the attention of the children and the beautiful colour palette complements the book. The book consists of 26 pages and it is a short story.

The background of this story is about the horrible smells and it’s causes. The author has focused not only on socks but anything, that is rotten and that give out a very nasty smell.

The story is about a little boy named Sigfried, who goes through a lot to figure out why does his book stink. Through out his journey he discovered how his family, specially his siblings contributed in making every page nasty and one smelly book. Sigfried also discovered that not only socks but how unexpected items, some very disturbing, can contribute in making a smell that would actually make us want to hold our breath.

I found this book hysterical! Every page has something to smile or laugh-out-loud about. I believe the author has focused on naughty and mischievous little boys but I believe every little kid will enjoy a fun ride thought out this book. Not only little kids but parents to can enjoy a break through this humorous book while spending time with their children.

At first I wondered, why stinky smell? Wasn't there anything else to write for a children’s book? But I realized this book has a powerful lesson to teach, not only this book helps little children to recognise smell but also to realize how stinky, rotten, grouse they can be. The author was been very logical by using learn-with-fun concept to get the children's attention. The negative point is that parents will find certain difficulty in teaching children cleanliness, since it is possible that children may try to apply every little detail in the book to their daily life.

I have no doubt that this book will be successful in captivating little boys and girls hearts since it has every little detail that ensures this: the author has used his character very smartly by making sure that the main character talked to his audience thought out the book. The illustration is so vivid and the presentation through out the book is very attractive. The author has used cartoon characters to capture his idea, through them he tried to make little children take responsibilities. The rhythmic touch to the story helps the reader to be attentive and focused.

It was very touched that the author was inspired to write a children's book of this nature because of two little girls, Becky and Sofia, as the author had said and I quote “whose never ending pile of socks inspired this story”- I learnt through this that bright ideas may come through unexpected people. There was no grammar or punctuation mistake, the language used was friendly. I believe this book will add joy and laughter to both children and adults, so I wish to give a 4 out of 4 stars, it’s truly worth it!

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sahani Nimandra's review? Post a comment saying so!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Thank you for your review. It is good to know that this book is well edited because, being a children's book, overlooking grammatical mistakes when reading, would be difficult for kids. I think it will mould the young ones' character.
Sahani Nimandra

Rosemary Okoko wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 00:50 Thank you for your review. It is good to know that this book is well edited because, being a children's book, overlooking grammatical mistakes when reading, would be difficult for kids. I think it will mould the young ones' character.
Actually, yes the kids would have a one fine time!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Cute review for a cute book. I like that you include a warning for parents who have children who might want to follow the advice in the book a little too closely!
Sahani Nimandra

CommMayo wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 16:31 Cute review for a cute book. I like that you include a warning for parents who have children who might want to follow the advice in the book a little too closely!
Thank you!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad that you enjoyed this one! It does seem like a really cute and fun and funny book. Poor little boy with smelly socks. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra

kandscreeley wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 09:19 I'm glad that you enjoyed this one! It does seem like a really cute and fun and funny book. Poor little boy with smelly socks. Thanks for the review.
Thanks for stopping by!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

It's an amazing funny book for children. The author inculcates the lesson of cleanliness through this book. It's a lovely review. Thanks
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Thanks for your detailed review which shows me exactly what to expect from this "stinking" book!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

I agree with the downfall you point out here. Children may indeed try to reject "smelly" things during their everyday life in tribute to Sigfried. Parents be warned! :)
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Rosemary Okoko wrote: 19 Jan 2018, 00:50 Thank you for your review. It is good to know that this book is well edited because, being a children's book, overlooking grammatical mistakes when reading, would be difficult for kids. I think it will mould the young ones' character.
You're absolutely right. Kids read everything verbatim and errors would spell disaster and maybe even tears. I too was pleased with this book!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Sahani Nimandra

Sarah Tariq wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 12:24 It's an amazing funny book for children. The author inculcates the lesson of cleanliness through this book. It's a lovely review. Thanks
Thanks for the comment!
Sahani Nimandra

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 13:46 Thanks for your detailed review which shows me exactly what to expect from this "stinking" book!
It also has great humour, that would make the kids very excited like when their parents would surprise them by taking them to a water/adventure park!
Sahani Nimandra

nlhartje wrote: 28 Jan 2018, 23:22 I agree with the downfall you point out here. Children may indeed try to reject "smelly" things during their everyday life in tribute to Sigfried. Parents be warned! :)
Every book has its contributions, thanks for stopping by!
Sahani Nimandra

nlhartje wrote: 29 Jan 2018, 00:02
You're absolutely right. Kids read everything verbatim and errors would spell disaster and maybe even tears. I too was pleased with this book!
That's really great, I am happy to hear about it!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”