Review by jaylperry -- From Drift to SHIFT

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Review by jaylperry -- From Drift to SHIFT

Post by jaylperry »

[Following is a volunteer review of "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From Drift to Shift: How Change Brings True Meaning and Happiness to Your Work and Life, by Jody B. Miller, is a fun and inspiring read. The author does a great job selecting inspirational mini-biographies that show how specific people went from being hurt, depressed, or unfulfilled to living life to its fullest, even under sometimes difficult circumstances.

Unfortunately, this book is not as “useful” as I had hoped it would be. I started reading From Drift to Shift hoping it would give me a concrete way to recognize “drift” in my own life and then give me a set of skills or a process to facilitate a “shift” to something better. What I found instead was an almost “stream-of-consciousness” telling of stories with a series of coaching affirmations and observations thrown in for good measure. Reflection questions might have been more useful.

The book was divided into four main sections: Why to Shift; When to Shift; How to Shift; and After the Shift. In each section, the author started by introducing the theme and then launching into one or more of these inspirational mini-biographies. I could not deduce a substantive reason why a given story would be in one section instead of another. However, each of the stories did portray a significant shift.

Some of the stories showed big, sudden shifts because of a traumatic (or other life-changing) event. Other shifts were small and more gradual. At times, such as with Sloan Walsh, the shifts were so constant and unresolved that they seemed less like a shift and more like a life in constant turmoil. The author’s personal shift stories, including a drug-induced hallucinogenic ritual, seemed more like the efforts of a personal improvement junkie who is still searching for a fix.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars, mostly due to copy-editing concerns. There were a couple of chapters with several misused words, such as “lied” instead of “lay,” “road” instead of “rode,” or “impede” where the author meant to use the word “embed.” Other concerns include the “stream-of-consciousness” writing style that would make confusing jumps back and forth in the chronology of a story to fit things together thematically or wander down rabbit trails and pursue side-illustrations.

This book is great for pastors or life coaches or anybody who needs to tell (or likes to hear) stories of life-transformation. This book would also be good for anyone going through a “mid-life crisis,” as it could help to normalize it. The mini-biographies are interesting and inspiring. The Appendix contains a lot of useful information, including self-assessment questions. But the overall format and structure of the book, as well as the author’s self-insertions, left a lot to be desired.

From Drift to SHIFT
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like jaylperry's review? Post a comment saying so!
victorycoffee
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victorycoffee.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by victorycoffee »

This is a nice review. I like that you picked up on the author's story as being a bit weird - to me it felt a bit like something between Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Eat, Pray, Love, but as a personal and life-changing journey it kind of fit in a way.

Good final point too - it can't be understated how inspiring the stories are, and I can imagine these would be quite comforting to anyone going through their own personal crisis.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

I love this book but I see that you are bothered something on this due to typos and grammatical errors. I agree on your point and you noticed something that make me wonder again. Anyway, nice review.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

Thank you for the well-written, well-organized review. I haven't read the book yet but it will be the next one I select. It sounds like the book mostly works. I will keep in mind that it may have some problems. When I have finished reviewing the book, I will enjoy reading your review again.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

Well, when I read and reviewed the book, I loved it from the first chapter to the last. I see your review has a different angle from mine but all the same I enjoyed your review because you are precise and coherent. Personally I feel the book is full of positivity.
jaylperry
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaylperry.html
Latest Review: The Polygrapher by Dohn Jagster (Pseudonym)

Post by jaylperry »

Al Chakauya wrote: 22 Jan 2018, 11:31 Personally I feel the book is full of positivity.
I agree that the book is full of positivity. I hope my review didn't indicate otherwise.
“A book, too, can be a star, ‘explosive material, capable of stirring up fresh life endlessly,’ a living fire to lighten the darkness, leading out into the expanding universe.”
– Madeleine L’Engle

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”