Review by bbowser -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Scrawling Pen
Currently Reading: Snape
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scrawling-pen.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Review by bbowser -- Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Scrawling Pen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Diary of a Snoopy Cat" by R.F. Kristi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

One should never underestimate the importance of quality and entertaining books for children. At a young age, kids can develop a strong attachment to books and reading. We should all be thankful to authors like R.F. Kristi who create fun and delightful stories, such as The Diary of a Snoopy Cat, for kids to enjoy. It is a great way for kids to fall in love with reading!

The Diary of a Snoopy Cat is a fictional children’s book. It is a diary of adventures by Inca, a cat detective living in Paris with her two cat siblings and their Mom. During this story, there are two mysterious cases that need solved. Right away, some of Inca’s friends head off to the Himalayas to find Raoul, Señora’s husband who disappeared while climbing Mt. Everest. While they were away, things at home are far from boring. Inca, her siblings, and her remaining friends sniff out a new case which needs attention. Boss, the scary and menacing Rottweiler, was the one who brought the case to them. These detectives have to find the missing will, which they suspect the villain, dubbed “The Stinky Porkster”, is holding tight in his clutches. If they do not succeed, Boss and his owner, Ned, will be separated--there are very high stakes in this case. The detectives are wrapped up in a mystery indeed! The remainder of the story is a nailbiter as they work in risky and often perilous conditions in hopes of a happy ending for Boss and Ned.

In the end, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the story very much. It is always interesting to read children’s books as an adult because you are able to pick out some great lessons about life which are never too early to be introduced. In this book, I enjoyed that the main character, Inca, found out that perhaps she was a bit hasty to judge all dogs poorly. She even found good in Boss, the meanest and toughest dog she knows. It is a reminder that we should all put our prejudices aside and value people for who they really are. There is this quote as well: “For some people, life revolves around money and greed overcomes good sense.” Money isn’t everything--a lesson that everyone can be reminded of, and one that is never too early to learn. Kristi also did a great job creating strong and enduring characters. Her word choice and punctuation really helped her develop the characteristics of the cats and dogs; I could just imagine my own cats acting in similar fashions! One of my favorite aspects of the book has to be the illustrations! Jorje Valle did a phenomenal job with her simple yet humorous and fun cartoons.

Although it was enjoyable, I could not give it a perfect score. The biggest issue was the numerous grammatical errors. Most of the errors dealt with missing commas, so for many readers it may not detract much from the story. Even so, I found that I was noticing many mistakes and was disappointed in that sense. I also found there to be many characters introduced, and it was a bit difficult to keep everyone straight. There are previous books in this series, so it is possible that if one starts at the beginning this wouldn’t be an issue. However, starting with this book was a bit confusing, and I had to take notes on each character introduced.

Overall, my praise outweighs any of my complaints, and I would gladly recommend this book. It is humorous, exciting, and will leave any young reader satisfied.

Diary of a Snoopy Cat
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bbowser's review? Post a comment saying so!
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I think that's definitely a really good reason to mark it down. It can certainly be incredibly dangerous to market books to children that are filled with grammatical errors as these books are often what kids learn from and it paves the way for children to grow up believing something incorrect to be correct. It only adds to how so many today are unable to use proper grammar in many circumstances. Thanks for writing a review!
mandalee519
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalee519.html
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Reading Device: B00IOVUXL8

Post by mandalee519 »

I love that your review begins giving credit to how the quality of this book is important to readers future in literacy. I believe authors should always keep this mind. I also read the book and absolutely loved how relatable each character is. Each character is so individual in personality but I easily found a likable trait in each one of them. This book is a great read.
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”