Review by kdstrack -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Review by kdstrack -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret: Stories of Ordinary Gurus I Have Met by Rob White is a non-fiction, motivational book. The author tells the story of his life, highlighting people he has met who have inspired him.

Written from the first person point of view, Rob describes his childhood in a small town. As he matures, the setting changes to different places where he studies and works. In spite of the frequent change of scenery, he has a feeling that something is missing. Each chapter describes someone special that helped alleviate these feelings that plagued Rob.

The major portion of the book is upbeat and positive. The writing is done well and makes the reader participate in the situations described. The conversations are believable and interesting. I did feel, though, that the pacing of the chapters became repetitive. Rob meets someone. This person does something that impresses Rob. Rob passes this lesson on to someone else. There is no variation in this format throughout the book.

Margaret is actually one of the last people we meet. She is a young girl who teaches Mr. White to be selfless and to put others first. I was puzzled that Margaret, as the title indicates, should be singled out as the person who changed his life. The lesson he apparently learned from Margaret was the same lesson taught by Aunt Theresa when he was a child. Both Margaret and Aunt Theresa helped him to learn the lesson of putting others first. Aunt Theresa taught this lesson by her personal sacrifice. Margaret taught him this lesson by her self-centered attitude. It is the same lesson, just from different ends of the spectrum.

One of Rob’s inspirations comes from a friend who refused to die. This leads the author to realize that “all life has incredible purpose.” If all life has purpose, why did the author think the actions of the Maasai mother were “upright”? This seems contradictory. Even though I find this to be the focal chapter of the book, I did not find this chapter to be inspirational. Assigning worth to a dandelion while observing and remaining silent while a beating heart stops manifests a confusion of values.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The book is well written but the repetition of the format in every chapter with only a change of names made me lose interest. The author admits he has not advanced very far in his spiritual life. This indicates that all the inspiration he has experienced was only fleeting. I recommend this book to people who enjoy reading autobiographies as Mr. White has enjoyed many interesting experiences in his life.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

I really liked this review. This is not my genre, but I liked the concept.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks House Of Atticus. Glad you like the review, I really struggled with this one! I appreciate your comments.
Snread
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snread.html
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen

Post by Snread »

I too liked the review, its very insightful.
Latest Review: "Belas Rift" by Stephan von Clinkerhoffen
BookishCreature
Currently Reading: Travels with Vamper
Bookshelf Size: 247
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishcreature.html
Latest Review: The Library of Secrets: The Giant Mistake by Zoe Penn

Post by BookishCreature »

I agree that the chapters were a little formulaic, but I actually liked the structure. It's very Aesop-y in the sense that I probably wouldn't read it cover to cover again, but I might go back to a particular chapter as a refresher. It certainly doesn't have the reread value of a proper autobiography though. Great write-up!
mandalee519
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalee519.html
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Reading Device: B00IOVUXL8

Post by mandalee519 »

Your review does a great job of summarizing what the book is about. I like how you point out that Margaret is one of the final characters introduced in the book, which lets the reader know what to look forward to. I can agree that the author maybe should have done a better job in titling the book because it is clear that many people have played a role in his journey.
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Snread wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 09:42 I too liked the review, its very insightful.
Thank you for reading. Hope you enjoy the book.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

BookishCreature wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 16:39 I agree that the chapters were a little formulaic, but I actually liked the structure. It's very Aesop-y in the sense that I probably wouldn't read it cover to cover again, but I might go back to a particular chapter as a refresher. It certainly doesn't have the reread value of a proper autobiography though. Great write-up!
Glad you enjoyed the book. That's why it is fun to review different genres. It's always nice to find something different and expand our reading horizons. Thanks.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

mandalee519 wrote: 16 Jan 2018, 14:32 Your review does a great job of summarizing what the book is about. I like how you point out that Margaret is one of the final characters introduced in the book, which lets the reader know what to look forward to. I can agree that the author maybe should have done a better job in titling the book because it is clear that many people have played a role in his journey.
Thanks, Mandalee. I think many people were confused and disappointed with the Margaret chapter. It was a touching chapter but not what readers were expecting.
Whippet
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whippet.html
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Whippet »

I really appreciate your point about how repetitive the book is. I know that's part of the point, to reinforce all the lesson-learning going on. But for some people it's just not engaging enough. I actually thought the story of the Maasai mother was his best and most skilfully written. Very interesting to read your take on it; you make an excellent point about the confusion of values for sure.

I enjoyed reading this, your points are so well-expressed. :D
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Whippet wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 09:49 I really appreciate your point about how repetitive the book is. I know that's part of the point, to reinforce all the lesson-learning going on. But for some people it's just not engaging enough. I actually thought the story of the Maasai mother was his best and most skilfully written. Very interesting to read your take on it; you make an excellent point about the confusion of values for sure.

I enjoyed reading this, your points are so well-expressed. :D
I wondered too why the Massai mother was not the title of the book. That experience seemed to have the most impact on his life. Thanks for your comments.
EvaDar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

kdstrack wrote: 10 Jan 2018, 15:47 [Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]

Margaret is actually one of the last people we meet. She is a young girl who teaches Mr. White to be selfless and to put others first. I was puzzled that Margaret, as the title indicates, should be singled out as the person who changed his life. The lesson he apparently learned from Margaret was the same lesson taught by Aunt Theresa when he was a child. Both Margaret and Aunt Theresa helped him to learn the lesson of putting others first. Aunt Theresa taught this lesson by her personal sacrifice. Margaret taught him this lesson by her self-centered attitude. It is the same lesson, just from different ends of the spectrum.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
This is such a great point. The lesson Margaret taught the author is essentially the same lesson he claimed to have learned from his aunt. The empathy lesson didn't seem to stick in either case. Thanks for the great review. I have posted my review as well. viewtopic.php?f=114&t=54038
I am new, so appreciate any comments. Thanks.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

I like the way Rob process his knowledge from different people. The he deals it is somewhat a good start to change. Thanks, do check mine as well.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

pinklover wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 00:50 I like the way Rob process his knowledge from different people. The he deals it is somewhat a good start to change. Thanks, do check mine as well.
It is true that Rob met many different people and each inspired him in some way. And yet, he admits that he hasn't grown spiritually from all of these experiences. That makes me question the value of all his "inspiration". It is only temporary and doesn't seem to have a lasting effect on his life,so is it really helping him to change? It seems like he is still searching. That isn't inspiring - just sad.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I enjoyed the sleek and structured formatting of the book, which makes its presentation uniform and organized. Thanks for the review.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”