Review by nlhartje -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Review by nlhartje -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)

Post by NL Hartje »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Janet McNulty’s Solaris Seethes is a great foray into the world of space adventure for any young sci-fi, fantasy lover. The universe presented to readers is one teeming with the existence of interplanetary relations, time travel, hyper speed space jumps, teleportation and humanoids of every creed and color. With its team of youthful characters and lightning speed plot changes, this book is a perfect fit for anyone with a lighthearted affection for quests to save the galaxy.

The story follows Rhynah, a lavender skinned, emerald haired geo-security officer thrust into a plot hatched by her long-deceased grandfather, to save the planet. Her once thriving Lanyr was a place of dreams before its destruction. Purple hued grasses, and skies with violet sunsets and orange clouds are all reduced to smoke and grey when the crystal that controls the planet’s magnetic field is stolen. Forced into a course of action to save herself, Rhynah finds her grandfather has left the keys to his work within his old, self-engineered spaceship, Solaris.

Solaris, however, is much more than it seems. Rhynah’s grandfather created the ship with a feminine, artificial intelligence that allows her the capacity to feel and interact with others. Solaris helps Rhynah to unravel the mystery of the stolen crystal by following ancient texts once thought to be mere than children’s stories. The adventure soon finds them working with an interesting batch of humans from Earth as they face the trials presented in their search to find the missing crystal.

The action sequences and scenescapes presented in this story are original and paint whimsical pictures of places we, as readers, can only imagine. A bit more detail developing the story’s background would be a great step towards making this book a must read. McNulty’s quick turns from scene to scene prove jarring and often require one to stop and get bearings on the plot sequence before moving forward. One piece that was particularly underwritten was the progression of the ancient texts and their riddled meanings. There is little storyline based around the texts themselves or how Rhynah and Solaris unlock the clues. Few mentions are made around the connections between the lines of text and how those hints pointed the adventurers toward their next destination. Readers are left to fill in the blanks which makes for pausing to consider, and essentially interrupting the harmony of the story.

Seethes also finds itself wanting in terms of character development. The intriguing list of characters proposed in this story should make for a smash hit! Four different characters each from different places in time lay the groundwork for an amazing story. The execution of their character traits, though, sadly underwhelmed. Hopefully as the series continues, readers will be introduced to more of their cultural norms, accents and quirks.

Encapsulating the underdevelopments was the halting structure of McNulty’s writing which produced a difficult read in and of itself. Many sentences were broken with repeated character asides and modifiers. A bit more attention to sentence structure and flow would make for vast improvements. I am rating this book 3 out of 4 stars. The staccato movement of McNulty’s writing is what proved most notable during the read. A smoother delivery would definitely help successfully paint the pictures attempted in this story. Although there is work to be done in terms of character development and plotline, McNulty’s unique idea and thought-provoking scene descriptions proved so entertaining that it warranted higher than a 2 rating.

If you are able to overlook the guesswork you must do as a reader to get through this story, you will be pleased with a suspenseful ending that leaves you wanting more. As for me, I would like to hear more of Rhynah’s story but hope to find it presented in a more appealing and thought-provoking fashion in the series to come.

Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like nlhartje's review? Post a comment saying so!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
nfdaniel85
Currently Reading: A Sick Life
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdaniel85.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by nfdaniel85 »

I would have liked to see more of Rynah's story too. There was definitely an "intriguing list of characters" that I would've like more out of as well.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

nfdaniel85 wrote: 13 Feb 2018, 14:31 I would have liked to see more of Rynah's story too. There was definitely an "intriguing list of characters" that I would've like more out of as well.
Thank you for reading my review! Don't you think they could have gone so much further with each of the stories!?
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
nfdaniel85
Currently Reading: A Sick Life
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdaniel85.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by nfdaniel85 »

Absolutely! I feel as though this should have been multiple books. One book per crystal would have been great.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

your review gives a very good idea of how reading this book was for me as well. It was good but it just needed a little more work when it comes to background to make it that must read book. Thanks for sharing.
NL Hartje
Currently Reading:

Post by NL Hartje »

Jaime Lync wrote: 21 May 2018, 00:58 your review gives a very good idea of how reading this book was for me as well. It was good but it just needed a little more work when it comes to background to make it that must read book. Thanks for sharing.
Hey, thanks for reading my review! I wish I had enjoyed the book more. It had good bones...
-Dr. Seuss
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I did not like the book until the space pirate scene. McNulty's writing seemed to perk up at that point. The series has promise and I hope the second one is better.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”