Review by SPasciuti -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Review by SPasciuti -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by SPasciuti »

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Among the billions of people living alongside us in this world, I believe there's no questioning the fact that we're going to meet some amazing and inspirational teachers in our life's journey. And Then I Met Margaret by Bob White chronicles the instances in a man's life where he experiences inspiring learning opportunities and the people who taught him. Beginning with tales of his childhood and ending with more recent moments, White does a masterful job at discussing his deep thoughts with the world and passing on life lessons he's had the fortune to learn throughout the years.

I found myself pleasantly surprised by White's tales, the book presenting itself in a clever structure by presenting readers with a myth, or pre-belief, White had before the mentor or teacher he would later name at the start of the chapter changed his viewpoint. This, in particular, was one of the shining piece of the book for me. It gave just the right amount of insight into the lesson we would be reading about to keep us interested. Later, as the chapter ended, White would reiterate the myth he originally believed to be true and then replace it with the revised belief that the lesson had taught him.

In such a small and simple way, White achieved a great deal in promoting the life lessons he cherishes, condensing them into a short sentence or phrase in order to illuminate the pieces of the chapter that brought him to change for the better. And it allowed him to remind the reader of what he learned in that particular chapter of his life.

I enjoyed the majority of White's stories and genuinely felt as though I got to know him a little bit along the way, which made the reading experience even more pleasant. From his Aunt Theresa, a beautiful personality, to Peter from the final chapter I found myself learning quite a lot more than I expected to when I began this book. White's storytelling is great and he really manages to pull the reader into the events of his life.

That said, I felt as though some of the stories and inspirational lessons weren't really as amazing or useful as he may have felt. Granted, this is the sort of opinion that is very personal to people and therefore I cannot discredit how these lessons impacted him, as I'm sure the impact was great. I was disappointed, mostly, in Margaret's story and I feel that this is one of the greatest downfalls of White's book. Margaret was the person who inspired the very title and for the book to be as impactful as I believe White wishes for, she needed to be the most poignant story he had to tell. Instead, she simply represented something that I've heard more times than I could count.

My final complaint is a small one, simply related to the fact that I couldn't help feeling as though White was complimenting himself regularly throughout the book in his attempts to portray how he took the lessons he learned and passed them on to others. These were the moments in his stories that I liked the least, often feeling somewhat off put by how he described his actions. I'm not sure if this is due to the slight arrogant tone it seemed to exude or simply because it felt almost unreal. Either way, it bugged me. One of the more annoying ones was the lesson in practice involving the Gutter Busters.

And Then I Met Margaret was interesting, fun to read, and even had me laughing several times. This isn't the sort of book I read typically and I was glad to have gotten the opportunity to open my eyes to something I don't often spend time with. All in all, I'd give And Then I Met Margaret 3 out of 4 stars. It's a good book, it has some great moments, and I can certainly see it's appeal in the self-help and motivational genres. And if nothing else, it's really nice to get a look at all these interesting people and to see how they've taught those around them.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like SPasciuti's review? Post a comment saying so!
Joy2thenations
Currently Reading: A Ton of Gold
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy2thenations.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Joy2thenations »

Well done review. I've debated about reading this book since the reviews are so mixed. I may still get around to this one.
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

nice review. I like it. I agree with you. I picked some beautiful ideas upon reading your review. Thanks for sharing your thoughts in here. Do check mine as well. Thanks!
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

Thanks for your review - I agree with your comments about the author complimenting himself a lot through the book. I sometimes wondered whether the stories occurred exactly as they were told also.
SPasciuti
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>

Post by SPasciuti »

Joy2thenations wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 04:02 Well done review. I've debated about reading this book since the reviews are so mixed. I may still get around to this one.
Yeah, I definitely don't regret reading it, if that helps? I don't think I'd ever bother to read it again, of course, but ultimately it wasn't a terrible book or anything. Thanks for commenting!
SPasciuti

Post by SPasciuti »

pinklover wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 07:26 nice review. I like it. I agree with you. I picked some beautiful ideas upon reading your review. Thanks for sharing your thoughts in here. Do check mine as well. Thanks!
I'm glad my review helped you with some ideas. :) I'll definitely check out yours later. Thanks for commenting!
SPasciuti

Post by SPasciuti »

N_R wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 16:56 Thanks for your review - I agree with your comments about the author complimenting himself a lot through the book. I sometimes wondered whether the stories occurred exactly as they were told also.
You know, I thought about that too! I wouldn't be surprised if some of his stories were embellished. It did, on occasion, feel as though he went out of his way to make sure he had some story for his pay it forwards. I wouldn't want to discredit him without proof, but I certainly understand your thoughts on the matter. Thanks for commenting!
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

I am yet to find out who this Margaret was. Many reviews that I have gone through do not have an indepth coverage for her. Is she a major character on the book?
Well I appreciate your honest review.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
SPasciuti

Post by SPasciuti »

Paul78 wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 14:27 I am yet to find out who this Margaret was. Many reviews that I have gone through do not have an indepth coverage for her. Is she a major character on the book?
Well I appreciate your honest review.
I think Margaret is meant to be a major character (or guru, I suppose) and she doesn't come until later on in the book, but I don't personally think her impact was major at all. It was disappointing and I feel like a lot of people recognized the big buildup Rob White gave her and felt let down a little when her story came.

She's a little girl who had an impact on White's life and admittedly I think it's hard to have an in-depth coverage of her without giving a spoiler and also because the author didn't really give one either, as far as I'm concerned. She's sparked a lot of discussion namely because the author named the book after her.

Thanks for commenting!
Whippet
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whippet.html
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Whippet »

Enjoyed reading this review! I agree with your points. I don't think it's unworthy of reading for most people but I wouldn't read it twice personally. I couldn't shake that self-complimenting air throughout the book as well. But he's got a knack for telling a story for sure. Thanks for sharing your perspective!
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi
mandalee519
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandalee519.html
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
Reading Device: B00IOVUXL8

Post by mandalee519 »

I love that your review really focuses on what you liked and disliked about the book. This is helpful because potential readers look for these qualities in their decision making. The author does have a way of drawing in the audience and helping them connect with his story and other characters, but I definitely agree that there were times where he seemed a little self-centered.
Latest Review: "Purgatory a rockstars journey into hell" by Jennifer Nickell
SPasciuti

Post by SPasciuti »

Whippet wrote: 15 Jan 2018, 23:21 Enjoyed reading this review! I agree with your points. I don't think it's unworthy of reading for most people but I wouldn't read it twice personally. I couldn't shake that self-complimenting air throughout the book as well. But he's got a knack for telling a story for sure. Thanks for sharing your perspective!
Yeah, I agree with you there. It's definitely not the sort of book I really would want to buy or read again. I don't regret reading it, but yeah. Thanks for commenting!
SPasciuti

Post by SPasciuti »

mandalee519 wrote: 16 Jan 2018, 15:10 I love that your review really focuses on what you liked and disliked about the book. This is helpful because potential readers look for these qualities in their decision making. The author does have a way of drawing in the audience and helping them connect with his story and other characters, but I definitely agree that there were times where he seemed a little self-centered.
Yeah. I think every book has good and bad points, of course, and I would never want to recommend a book without addressing both. Thanks for commenting!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your comments. Your opening sentence stands out to me. Everyone will meet amazing and inspirational people along the way. Sometimes we just don't recognize them. I was waiting for the big transformation with Margaret, too. Then I thought that she taught the same message he learned from his Aunt Theresa! I agree very much with your synopsis. Thanks.
SPasciuti

Post by SPasciuti »

kdstrack wrote: 17 Jan 2018, 06:51 Thanks for your comments. Your opening sentence stands out to me. Everyone will meet amazing and inspirational people along the way. Sometimes we just don't recognize them. I was waiting for the big transformation with Margaret, too. Then I thought that she taught the same message he learned from his Aunt Theresa! I agree very much with your synopsis. Thanks.
I love that comparison. I imagine it’s always kind of important to have reminders of the lessons we’ve learned in the past, too. But yeah, I think the overall theme of the book is pretty powerful.

Thanks for commenting!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”