Review by CNWaweru -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CNWaweru
Currently Reading: The Sound of Thunder
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cnwaweru.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Review by CNWaweru -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by CNWaweru »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Yesterday.

Author: Samyann.

This is a fictional novel majorly on reincarnation.

I think this book would mostly appeal to older teenagers and young adults. The adventure would be fun

for this particular group. They probably would also have basic knowledge about reincarnation.

Samyann starts by presenting a scene where Amanda, one of the main characters saves a policeman by

pulling him from where a train was about to fall. The place is next to an antique shop where Amanda is

lain by the police officer, Mark Callahan, since she was the one who ended up being severely injured.

While waiting for the ambulance, Amanda sees a grandfather clock at the antique shop. She buys it. In

her house, the clock invokes in her vague memories of experiencing the chiming of the clock before.

Mark, who is by now her friend, sets to investigate on it. Amanda and Mark have a feeling that they

know each other yet they could not recall meeting before. They set out to find out how they know each

other. They finally settle on using a psychological therapy known as Past Life Therapy with Amanda then

Mark in later stages. Through these regressions, Amanda is able to share happenings in the life of

another girl, Bonnie, who lived in the eighteenth century. Mark also regresses a bit but does not achieve

much. These regression sessions, though with a lot of effort, especially from Amanda, solve the mystery

of how Mark and Amanda know each other.

I would give the book a 4 out of 4 score.

I liked the book because the characterization was accurate and close to reality. I could see the

characters as real life people.

The author also handled the topic of reincarnation in an objective way. I felt that she believes in

reincarnation, talks about it but does not put the reader at a position where they feel offended for not

believing in what she believes. According to me, dealing with such sensitive topics of belief so expertly is

a huge plus.

I also liked how the author conveyed the speech of the illiterate characters in the book. It is easy to read

and understand the messages they are passing along, even for a non-native English speaker like me.

The book is well edited. I have not spotted any grammatical errors. The historical calculations which are

a significant part of the story, have been correctly put too.

What I liked least about the book vagueness in vivid description at the beginning. I was not able to

clearly depict in my mind the scene and ended up assuming a number of things to come up with the

mental picture.

The book suggests that when a person dies they are reborn as someone else. It gives hope to those who

have lost loved ones to know that the deceased are still in existence in form of other people. This could

comfort some people. It also points out that it is not one’s fault when they lose a lot of people around

them naturally.

The book almost got me to believe in reincarnation during the time I was reading it. At one point, I

wished to schedule a consultation for the Past Life Therapy myself. I was disappointed at the end when

the author noted that it was a work of fiction.

Though I do not still believe in reincarnation, I will definitely give the Past Life Therapy a try.

I read this book in one sitting. It is an objective and emotionally stimulating book. :D

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CNWaweru's review? Post a comment saying so!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Wow, interesting review. I like the fact that though the author believes in reincarnation, her writing is not offensive to readers who do not believe in it. I had avoided the book thinking it was a 'weighty' read. Looks like I will give it a try.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Interesting comments on this book. You made some good points about the historical sections of the story and the conversations. Thanks for sharing your reactions to this writer.
CNWaweru

Post by CNWaweru »

Thank you all for your comments! I appreciate it.
jaywhiz1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jaywhiz1 »

i never believed in reincarnation, but this got me thinking otherwise
CNWaweru

Post by CNWaweru »

jaywhiz1 wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 09:55 i never believed in reincarnation, but this got me thinking otherwise
Go ahead and try it out.
Whippet
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whippet.html
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi

Post by Whippet »

If it got you to the point of nearly believing in reincarnation, it must be a powerfully written work! Thank you for sharing this.
Latest Review: "Bleeding Gull - look, feel, fly" by Raed Anis Aljishi

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”