Review by tooradtogetmad -- The 11.05 Murders

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tooradtogetmad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tooradtogetmad.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Review by tooradtogetmad -- The 11.05 Murders

Post by tooradtogetmad »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The 11:05 Murders by Brian O' Hare is a murder mystery that follows Inspector Sheehan in his quest to solve three murders that occurred in a pattern of the same day- Tuesday- and the same time- 11:05 P.M. Sheenan's urgency for solving the murders escalates when one of his own team members is kidnapped by the killer.

I rated this book a 1 out of 4 stars. There wasn't much of liked about this book, except about the last 10-15% of the book where everything starts to kick off. I didn't care for any of the characters as much as I thought I would, and I think was detached through 98% of the book. Though if I were able to give it a 1.5 star rating,
I would, and that's solely for the last scenes of the book because that's when it started gaining a significantly faster pace. I found myself struggling to relate to any of the characters in any way, which is something I look for, no matter what I'm reading.

One of the main things I didn't enjoy was how obvious the identity of the killer was. I think even the fact that the author tried to make me suspect everyone took away the element of surprise in the end and took away the mystery, so to speak. That, accompanied by lackluster characters, zero character growth and chemistry between all the characters made for a pretty dragging read. I wanted to finish it just to finish it, not because I couldn't put it down like I expected to. The plot was interesting but just not very well executed. I understand the need for multiple suspects in a mystery novel, but this one in my opinion, had way too many.

The spelling errors weren't many, and they were relatively small mistakes(ex: 'that was me finished' should've been "had me finished''; 'outa' where it should be ''outta'').

In all, I can't say I would recommend this book to anyone. For how slow paced(yet fast paced in the development of the story) it seemed, I would've liked for it to be broken down into a series. I would've liked to have gotten to know each character-even the murderer- a little bit more extensively before they were sprung on me on every three pages. I could've also done without the big words in the dialogue. Using big words in dialogue doesn't make the conversation memorable or remotely relatable.

The novel itself, like I said earlier, had a great synopsis and a potential to be riveting but, it just didn't deliver. I wasn't concerned for anyone, and I didn't care for the reveal of the killer, as like I said before, it was more than predictable. Also, too much time was spent on descriptions of places, appearance and scenarios that, it took a lot away from the actual story. I can appreciate descriptive language but, not when all the focus on that target than the character development.

To conclude, I personally do not recommend anyone to buy this book, especially if "who done it" books are your favorite.

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like tooradtogetmad's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Sorry you didn't enjoy this book. It's really hard to get interested in a mystery, especially if it's too easy to figure out who the criminal is. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”