Review by Mouricia25 -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Review by Mouricia25 -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Mouricia Allen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Apollo’s Raven by Linnea Tanner is a literary masterpiece that captures its audience from the first few pages. Although this book is marketed as a historical fiction, it reads more like a historical romance novel. I was pleasantly surprised by just how good this book turned out to be. There were so many interesting twists in the book, with no plot holes which showcased the skill of the writer. It was very hard to predict what would happen next, and every new page contained a new piece to the puzzle. The writer’s attention to detail was spot on, with great imagery that transported me into this fantasy world.

The book is about a Celtic princess Catrin, who was charged with being a host, which was really just a spy for her father. He had taken a Roman nobleman as a hostage, whom she later fell in love with. The hostage was taken, as her father, King Amren needed to leave his kingdom to make political decisions, to settle several disputes with the Romans, and keeping the Roman was leverage for his security.

The novel explores the princess’s mystical abilities as they develop, and her being torn between duty and love as her world is beginning to crumble around her. It drew on major themes observed such as deception, love, nature, fear and revenge. I especially loved how well developed each character was, whether they were primary or secondary, there was sufficient information provided about them for you to feel connected. Although the story was centred mostly on Catrin, each named character was given a few moments in the spotlight that greatly added to the quality of the book.

There was nothing I did not like about this book. I loved and appreciated just how much research went into the writing of this book. The flow of the book was great, which made it even more enticing, and I was left with no unanswered questions. I loved how women were portrayed in the book, as equals versus being inferior to their male counterparts.

Overall, I happily rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it was a very great read. It was well written and there were no errors detected. I would definitely recommend this book to my friends who like historical, romance, fantasy or just a combination of the three genres, as this book certainly involves many different audiences. It would certainly make a good read for any book club as it contains many points that could be discussed and enjoyed with friends.

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mouricia25's review? Post a comment saying so!
k_alexcia
Currently Reading: City of Heavenly Fire
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by k_alexcia »

As a fan of romance and fantasy novels I truly appreciate your review on Apollo's Raven. I really enjoy novels with good plot twists and characters that grab your attention from start to finish.

Thank you so much for you review Mouricia :)
pinklover
Currently Reading: The Everett Exorcism
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pinklover.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by pinklover »

wow, nice review. I see that I will enjoy this book as well. I am excited to read this book on my vacant time. Thanks for your thoughts.
When everything seems too late, but it's not. God is there! Just keep on believing Jesus.
Mouricia Allen

Post by Mouricia Allen »

k_alexcia wrote: 14 Jan 2018, 15:33 As a fan of romance and fantasy novels I truly appreciate your review on Apollo's Raven. I really enjoy novels with good plot twists and characters that grab your attention from start to finish.

Thank you so much for you review Mouricia :)
I am happy you enjoyed it
Joy2thenations
Currently Reading: A Ton of Gold
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joy2thenations.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Joy2thenations »

I like books with twists and turns. Books that keep you on the edge of your seat appeal to me. Sounds like this might be a great read, thanks for your review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Great description of Caitrin's character. Your opinions for not finding nothing to dislike about the book are also encouraging. Nice job.
Mouricia Allen

Post by Mouricia Allen »

kdstrack wrote: 04 Feb 2018, 14:33 Great description of Caitrin's character. Your opinions for not finding nothing to dislike about the book are also encouraging. Nice job.
Thank you! I hope you enjoy the book!
KFree_Reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfree-reads.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by KFree_Reads »

Nice review! Historical romance novels are my favorite.I think I will give this book a try. Your review is greatly appreciated!
Michael Gambo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-gambo.html
Latest Review: The Struggle for Justice and Truth by Tomas Cudzis

Post by Michael Gambo »

Hi Mouricia, I really enjoyed the way you crafted your paragraphs. They're brief and concise, and what's even more special is that they're almost uniform in their length.
I believe in something greater than myself.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”