Review by ashleyc333 -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ashleyc333
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashleyc333.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Review by ashleyc333 -- Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by ashleyc333 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Raven’s Peak is a novel that explores the idea of the supernatural in a very tasteful way. The reader follows two perspectives of the main characters Haatim, a previous world religion student turned skeptic. And Abigail, a hunter who works for the mysterious group that fights of demonic entities known as The Council. On the odd occasion there are other perspectives from minor characters, that build to the main story to create a better built timeline and environment. The story unfolds as these two seemingly unrelated characters join forces and travel to their destination of the small town which shares the name of the book itself, Raven’s Peak.The novel changes perspective between Haatim and Abigail. In doing so it shows how the same situation affects them in different ways. Follow Haatim as he learns how Hunter’s save the world from the shadows. At the same time follow Abigail as she tries to save her father figure Arthur from the clutches of a demon who dragged him to Hell.

What I enjoy most about this book is how balanced it is. It has just enough suspense to keep the reader wanting to read more. But not too much that it’s unbearable to have to put down. At no point was I fearful of it ending on a cliffhanger. The characters were amusing, yet also serious at the same time. Another thing I enjoyed about the book was how the relationship between the main characters Haatim and Abigail is a refreshingly platonic one. It’s a fresh breathe between main characters constantly falling in love. Abigail is able to lean on Haatim and opens up to him more than to others. But it is not the result of romantic love, but in the simple bliss of having someone to assist you.

One thing I didn’t like was the inconsistency in the length of the chapters. Majority of the chapters were about 10-15 pages however unexpectedly there would be 1 chapter or 2 that was only about 4 pages long. This made the pacing of the novel seem sort of strange to me at times. It also interrupted the way I read it as these randomly short chapters would interrupt me while I was anticipating to read more.

What makes this novel stand out is the characters. They are questionable, and even though powerful, they still feel human. Even though I know it’s a work of fiction I could see it happening on the other side of the planet. It makes you question what someone thinks of as normal versus when things become abnormal. And it does this by making the characters themselves question what is normal and what it means for something to be supernatural or spiritual.

Overall I would give this book a 3 out of 4. It surprised me by how it enticed me quickly from the Prologue all the way to the Epilogue. The characters were interesting yet relatable. The use of the supernatural and religion as both antagonists and potential allies was definitely different and worked in a good way. This book does an excellent job of showing different perspectives without being offensive/aggressive. I would recommend this to any fan of the supernatural, anyone who likes a good travel/quest story, and anyone who is looking for something catching, but not stressful to read. This story was very balanced from beginning to end and I personally look forward to a sequel.
:techie-studyingbrown:

Raven's Peak
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ashleyc333's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

Ahh, I keep reading reviews about this one that make it seem so fascinating and yours is no different. I might have to pick it up now and give it a shot. Good to know ahead of time that the chapter length changes, though I don't think that will bother me much. I've actually found I enjoy when that happens, so long as it's done well. So perhaps we'll see?

Thanks for the review!
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

This book really does sound fascinating. I will give it a read. Thank you for this wonderful review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Great thoughts about this book. I agree with your comments about how well the author develops the characters. Hadn't really thought about how the length of the chapters interrupted the flow of the plot. Nice job!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”