Review by enna65 -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
enna65
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enna65.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Review by enna65 -- The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by enna65 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The 11.05 Murders by Brian O’ Hare has all the trappings of a good detective novel that any book lover fond of the suspense/murder/thriller genre would thoroughly enjoy. Set in Northern Ireland, the 11.05 Murders features Chief Inspector Jim Sheehan and his group of detectives who had to solve what seemed to be an interrelated set of murder cases that all occurred at 11:05 in the evening.

Well-paced with its twists and turns, readers are also introduced to newly-appointed detective Denise Stewart who was instrumental in connecting a twelve-year incident to the present day murders. With motives, evidence and new suspects sprouting one after the other, Chief Inspector Sheehan, together with his Serious Crimes team of detectives, had to get to the bottom of the mystery surrounding the murder cases before the killer strikes again.

The 11.05 Murders gives readers a glimpse of what happens in criminal investigations and how teamwork, strength of mind and heart, are needed to solve a crime. 11.05 Murders author Brian O’Hare crafted a well-written book that is meticulously researched and well-thought of. Mr. O’ Hare built a setting that is both believable and exciting that readers of the book can imagine themselves empathizing with the characters and eliciting from them myriads of emotions when the situation calls for it. The author is clearly adept at the thriller/mystery scenario that he knows exactly how and when to build up the readers’ interest with the right amount of curiosity. He is also eloquent in his choice of words that sometimes, because of its complexity, a dictionary might come handy.

Reading the 11.05 Murders is like reading a Christopher Pike or Stephen King – you could not put the book down until the very last page. The pacing is just right and even when you think you know whodunit, you realize in the next pages that you don’t, and you start to hypothesize all over again. I distinctly like how Denise Stewart’s character is portrayed. She is beautiful, strong and sharp. Even if she was surrounded by corrupt police officers from her previous station, she proved that she is incorruptible and could stand her own ground. Women all over, without a doubt, could identify with her and could easily make her a role model.

I rate the 11.05 Murders 3 out of 4 stars. I am distracted by the photos/images that come with every start of a chapter. I think it is not necessary, although I am aware the author placed them there as a clue to what we can expect in a specific chapter; however, if it needs to be there, the images could be improved, like; it could be bigger and placed in the middle, instead of at the left side of the page. I also found a couple of typos: “Manilla folder” and “unmistakeable,” should be “Manila folder” and “unmistakable,” respectively. These are just tiny errors and the book as a whole is a wonderful read for anyone who relishes books.

The 11.05 Murders
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like enna65's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

I really love a book with a strong female character. I hope, though, that she wasn't the only one. It's always frustrating when that happens, especially if she's the only one portrayed as capable and good. I've seen this book a few times and its nice to finally get a chance to read a review about it. Though I don't really think crime novels are my thing so much, I appreciated reading your review!
HouseOfAtticus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-houseofatticus.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by HouseOfAtticus »

I love your writing style. I would like to give this book a read. Thank you for this review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Thanks for your review. Nice description of Denise.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”