Review by allisonpat -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
allisonpat
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allisonpat.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Review by allisonpat -- Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!

Post by allisonpat »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!" by Len Foley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley explains why the children’s book you are reading smells so bad. From rotten bananas to dirty diapers to smelly socks and many other things, they all make the book smell absolutely disgusting. The title explains the book quite well as there is not much else happening in the book besides discovering all of the various smells.

My favorite part about the book is the rhyming. I love children’s books that rhyme because it is more fun to read and easier for the child to understand the book. Besides rhyming, I really love the illustrations. They are so life-like and cute. They make the book more fun and interactive for kids. The ending is really cute, and I think it will really make kids laugh, which is the entire point of the book. The main idea of this book is very funny because young kids love making faces when something smells or is silly. I can already picture reading this book to my young cousins and them holding their noses and saying “gross” to every new smelly discovery.

There was not much that I did not like about this book besides the almost non-existent story-line. Of course, this is not a huge deal because children’s books do not always need an introduction, a rising action, a climax, a falling action, and a conclusion to make it worth reading. The story made sense without a specific problem being solved through a traditional plot line. It is difficult to not like a children’s book and there are not any children’s books out there that I do not like. There is nothing in this book that makes me dislike it or not want to read it to a young child.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The only reason I am hesitant to give it a 4 out of 4 is because it does not have much of a storyline. There is no big problem that is trying to be solved that would interest a kid of elementary school age. For a children’s book, it is really good, but it will most likely only appeal to younger ageds kids who cannot read or cannot read well as they will not hate a book because of the plot line. I did not give this book a 2 because it has little to no errors and is perfect for a young kid to listen to before bed.

Overall, this book is a really great children’s book and perfect for kids aged about 6 and under. It is fun to read and interact with the pictures. I would definitely recommend this to parents with young children. Trust me, you’ll be holding your nose by the end of this book!

Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like allisonpat's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Great review. I though the illustrations were good, appropriate for the target audience of this book. Nice job of describing the smells.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”